Microsoft Reviews

Reset

1. Pretty good learning experience

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very diverse work and learned quite a lot.

Cons

Big org and too many operation stuff.

Advice to Management

none

2. Excellent internship

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible project choices - Good mentorship/coaching experience - Projects that make an impact - Good networking opportunity with management and other teams - As intern you get many intern related events, and of course the intern gift

Cons

- Didn't really take my team ranking into consideration, got assigned to a random team. - Office type work environment vs. open space work environment (such as in Facebook or Google). - No free food.

3. Everything went fine. Dudes got Money. Internship

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything went fine. Dudes got Money

Cons

It's Microsoft not Linux, if you are a moral guy

Advice to Management

whatever

5. Great place to intern.

Current Intern - Software Development Intern
    Current Intern - Software Development Intern

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours as long as your work gets done. Many people here work 40-50 hours per week and you're not looked down upon for doing so. Overall nice work environment. Work with very skilled and experienced people. Interesting work. For interns, pay is among the best for tech companies and the subsidized housing and rental car make it even better. Intern events are also awesome.

Cons

Sometimes have to deal with legacy systems. As with any huge company, there's some annoying bureaucracy to deal with. In many groups, there are no coding standards, insufficient code reviews, and extremely poor documentation. Work with lots of custom internal tools which means that experience here is not very transferable to other companies in some cases. Biggest con though is there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm from people in their day-to-day work; many people seem to be here to just do a decent job and get paid but don't care deeply about actually improving the customer experience or making their projects succeed.

Advice to Management

Get mid and lower managers to make coding standards, code reviews, and documentation more of a priority. Yes, it's boring stuff but it would really save time and money in the long-run by reducing the number of bugs and duplicated effort. Make company-wide or division-wide standards (like Google's style guidelines) for the commonly-used programming languages.

6. Great location. Great people. Great benefits.

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of intern activities. Great work environments. Free sodas and Starbucks coffee machine. Great cafeteria. Nice place to do research.

Cons

Weather is nice during Summer but not so good the rest of the year. Have to work long hours but pay is not hourly so no overtime bonus pay.

7. Amazing place to work! They care about their employees!

Former Intern - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, they care about growing you and helping to further your career. The benefits are amazing, there's great mobility within the company as a whole, and the work is interesting and engaging.

Cons

It's easy to overwork yourself. The "calibration" system is terrible.

8. Explorer Intern Review

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an explorer intern I got to experience the three disciplines: dev, test, and pm. I got to interview at the end of my internship for an internship next summer. If you stay on the same team, it is very easy to get offered back a full time offer. There are tons of intern events within the department that I worked and with the interns as a whole. The work environment was great and everyone was very eager to help me. I loved the project that I worked on during the summer.

Cons

I am not a hug fan of the Seattle area. Redmond was very boring to me. I also did not have a car so I really couldn't get around much.

9. Developer Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interns are very spoiled at Microsoft. We get lots of free stuff, and plenty of opportunities to have fun and enjoy Seattle.

Cons

The culture could be better in the office. The drink selection is much better at competing companies. A lot of legacy code.

10. Excellent organization to pursue research career in Computer Science

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice benefits - Lots of smart people around to work with - Decent salary for an intern

Cons

- Lack of flexibility in terms of engineering - Extremely rigid policies with respect to open source software, which is often an hindrance in research

11. Fun experience

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Microsoft - at least in the Office division - is pretty friendly. It's possible to work harder and get noticed. It's not very stressful. As an intern, Microsoft throws a lot of money at you. Our Intern Signature Event was a trip to Boeing where they got us Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Deadmau5, and Surface Pro's. There were plenty of intern events, and with the intern mailing list, interns could arrange their own events based on specific interests (e.g. showing & discussion of UX lectures). And I got plenty of opportunities to talk to slightly higher-up FTEs. Microsoft is full of very smart people. By talking to random people at events or on my team, I could have easily insightful discussions (on non-work-related topics).

Cons

The goals of Microsoft don't match the causes that I think are important. We support people volunteering ("day of caring"), but our products don't really aim to improve the world.

Showing 231 of 10,988 reviews