Microsoft Reviews

3.8
8,061 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights

Current employee

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Big company you may choose to learn from a diverse technology!

Cons

Lots of politics and slow promotion

Generally good pay and benefits with semi-exciting projects to work on.

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Base pay and benefits are good if you know how to negotiate. I feel in general the culture and company as a whole tries to do the right thing and act like a responsible tech company. I like the matching program where any of your donations are matched 100% up to a certain amount.

Cons

What folks say about the political environment is generally true. It seems that getting things done can take longer than you think it should at a tech company. I am hopeful with Satya at the helm things will change for the better.

For middle and upper level managers I would say get a better pulse of what your IC's are thinking.

Great opportunity, poor execution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Huge company with a lot to offer, great pay. Culture varies by group. Opportunities to move. Great changes to senior management recently

Cons

Heirarchical, each role is very niche, trying to change but up hill battle with ingrained culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good compensation and benefits. Lots of bright people around. Lots of opportunities to learn. Flexible work hours. And things are changing for the better slowly, but steadily.

Cons

The old review system sucked big time and distracted lots of talent. Politics are still strong too. Career is #1 concern for many.

1. Fix the review system. Make people focus on product, not career.
    2. Engineers should drive the company, not the PowerPoint monkeys.
    3. Innovate. Stop chasing market leaders. All those iPhone, etc. "killers" are ridiculous.

Great place to work and gain experience

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company with plenty of opportunities and good benefits.

Cons

Although they are working on it, the yearly performance review system just plain sucks. They used a bell curve ranking system reminiscent of high school thus in order for someone to exceed, someone must fail even if that person was an otherwise good and skilled worker. The review system also tends to favor the butt kissers and brown nosers more then the people with actual technical talent and skill that are making the products successful. Do a good job, meet all your deadlines, and solve all the problems and you'll be rewarded as "average". But if you cc upper management in every e-mail, bragging about your minor accomplishments, you get rewarded, even if you failed to meet many deadlines and couldn't finish half your tasks.

It's fairly obvious that the old stack ranking mentality is still stuck in the heads of many in upper management so it may be a couple years before the new review system can be considered fair to everyone.

Product Advisor

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Looks great on resume if you plan to advance in an IT industry.

Cons

Have no cons just yet, as I am still going through the hiring process.

Heading in a great direction

Current Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The transformation to cloud has sent the organization in a very positive direction. Innovation is at an all time high both from a "perception" perspective as well as "reality". Definitely an organization that rewards being a leader on your team.

Cons

While moving in a positive direction, still many legacy concerns and complexities internally to battle through. From licensing, to revenue recognition.

Quit after 7years at Microsoft

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very nice green card policy.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Too many incompentent managers/leads who don't know how to stimulate people.
    Serious nepotism and office politics.
    More chance/reward is given to people only good at making show than to people contribute most but not so good at selling themselves.

Cut at least half of the managers and make management hierarchy not more than 4 levels.
    Correct the rewarding system: let people contribute most are rewarded appropriately.

Has been a great place to be a Service Engineer

Current Employee - Operations Service Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Service Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You work with some of the smartest folks on earth and from all over the world. This company is aware that you have a life outside work. Even though we were expected to work hard there was understanding when I had to have time away for other interests. I have enjoyed feeling like the work I do in the Windows Team had a global effect. I have never been ashamed to say I work at Microsoft.

Cons

The challenges of working with the annual review system that has taken more time and resources than it ever should, often changes but never really seem to address the problems inherent to the system. Managers that have never learned to manage and others who are great and yet do not get the recognition that they deserve.

Value your workers, find a way to recognize the amazing value that you have in your personnel. Make them all proud to be there and listen to them before you makes sweeping changes.

Not the best place to be

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

- international corporation with HQ around the globe

Cons

- slow career development and not that many opportunities like in its competitors

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!