Microsoft

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Strong Roots and looking to change the world

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMicrosoft has some very smart people working here, you can learn something from everyone. From the seasoned veteran to the new college hire. We all share the same drive to be better and help our customers succeed.

ConsWe have been slow to see the trends early enough but we have changed that recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your frontline employees and to your customers.

decent place

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgood management, decent progression, great technology

Consinternal politics, all offices are not the same

Advice to Senior Managementbe more transparent and reachable

What an amazing company to work for !

Senior Account Technology Specialist (ATS) (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat technology, good pay, among the best health benefits, and very smart co-workers. I worked for Microsoft in its heyday and it will be the greatest company I've ever worked for.

ConsIn the past 5 years or so Microsoft has become a revenue focused company with licensing being the primary objective of customer interactions & employee measurement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the EPG space your people and their relationships with Enterprise customers are your most valuable asset.

overall good experience

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Prosopen, multiple products, rich resources

Conslack of creativity and coverage

Advice to Senior Managementbe really creative to build "wow" products

Microsoft -Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood salary, ok benefits until the recent changes to healthcare, strong portfolio of products, name recognition

Consthe stack ranking review process is all about politics, commission is not competitive in the market, quotas are ridiculously high

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the current stack ranking review process, assign quota fairly

Great company who cares about their employees!

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits and the sense of giving back to the community.

ConsAt times Microsoft gets in it's own way to innovate and quickly react to changing conditions. It can be hard to manage work-life balance and be successful.

Great company and work environment, could be better managed

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAccess to experts on Microsoft technologies, great pay and benefits, interesting work, immediate customer respect based on company affiliation (in most cases)

ConsMicrosoft Consulting Services has minimal focus on employee career growth despite continuous claims of being people-focused. Constant manager turnover and too many employees per direct-line supervisor contribute to these issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapt MCS to align more closely with the July 2013 business group realignment. Do a better job of selling devices.

I was happy working for Microsoft for 9 years - it's a great company and the leadership believes in their employees.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMicrosoft has unbeatable benefits, intelligent coworkers and a wealth of resources to help you with your job. They don't politics get in the way of you being successful at your position, and try to eliminate the roadblocks.

ConsIt's a large company, so if you are not in Redmond it's difficult to navigate. If you are not, it's tricky to network and find the right contacts.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinstate more telework positions.

Long term employee .. mixed support and value of experience

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities abound to move about and find different things.

ConsReview system is broken and has caused the loss of many non-replaceable assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people.

Business Units in the Company can be very different

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou own your career and can move regularly into different teams, businesses and roles. If you like to travel, this is the place to be. The pay is good and the access to technology thru the store and employee benefits are fantastic.The company has great programs for promoting performance - spot awards, high performance awards, etc. It's wasy to move around the company and find a team that is where one feels comfortable.

ConsYou must move regularly else risk being labelled as stale.If you have a family and don't like being on the road 6 days a week, this is not the place to be. Company provided hardware is sub-standard. The review model is completely random in application of merit and compensation with the rules chaning up to the last minute. Even in management it's unclear where performance will fall out until the day before reviews are to be delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementPublish short term and long term strategic vision and then build implementation plans to execute against. From the top tiers of the company all the way down to first line managers, chaos and reacting to external forces appear to be the norm. Employees don't know what's important until after it's too late to fix. It would be good to see managers at all levels understand what is happening multiple levels below them. I see most managers content with messages from their subordinates who are very good at "managing up" their specific messages - even if the reality is that things are 180 from what they are being told. Random checking by managers at all levels would help improve communication and understanding.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.