Mid-America Apartment Communities Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
H. Eric Bolton Jr.

1. They make it easy to LOVE my job!

Current Employee - Community Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I bonus, I get leasing & renewal commissions and I'm not micromanaged! I can set my schedule as long as my work is done! Most importantly, I'm not frowned on when making a mistake!

Cons

There's a lot of people sitting at those corporate offices. From IT to payroll- I'm always unsure who to talk to and sometimes they don't come across as the friendliest.

2. It USE to be an awesome company

Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with great benefits, love the fact that if an associate works on Saturday (7 hours) and Sunday (4 hours); the company pays them for working full days (8) hours. I have not heard of any other property management company offering this incentive.

Cons

Since merger with Colonial, the closeness and trust that was once shared among on-site staff and upper management has dissolved. Upper management gives the impression, and track record, that everyone is replaceable. One of MAA's core values was to embrace the differences in others, and I can tell you that MAA does not embrace any of the on-site staff.

Advice to Management

Remember how you got to where you are now and show more respect to those hard working, on-site associates who give it their all each and everyday, who helped MAA be as successful as they are today. Allow more room for growth, specifically the ability to allow an exceptional Manager the ability to move upward in their career and stop promoting "favorites" (this is meant for the Dallas office). Previous RPM, Cynthia McMillian, had class, dignity and treated everyone fairly.

3. Great Values understands Customer Retention.

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are policy driven, Mid America abides by all rules and regulations. Mid America is consistent in their words and following by the handbook.

Cons

At times they undermine the office staff in which allows the resident to get their way. Mid America has a very strict dress code.

Advice to Management

To make the employees feel special by rewarding them and acknowledging all the rights.

5. Good Inc

Former Employee - Property Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Mid-America Apartment Communities (Less than a year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

a lot of classes to take

Property Management

Current Employee - Property Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Stable employment, supportive RVP, Cigna Insurance, people I work with are committed to their jobs, location, & flexible spending account

Cons

Systems are frequently down, bills are not paid as timely as they used to be with Payscan, shareholders are more important than MAA employees since we aquired Colonial Properties

Great Corporate Culture

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for. There is good support from higher managers, They actually seem to care about their employees. I would recommend working here.

Cons

Some of the work can be hard to deal with when customers come in looking for an argument. having a thick skin and good people skills is vital to succeeding.

8. Assistant

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Great pay and excellent core values.

Cons

I don't really have any.

Advice to Management

better commission structure

Not so great anymore

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility when possible. Immediate manager allows this as long as work is done. getting to meet various people outside the company and corporate suit environment.

Cons

This used to be a great company to work for. But now Corporate upper management leads by using scare tactics. The CEO is obviously grossly unaware of this or just looks past it. Turnover rate is high and those who are still employed fear for their jobs. There is a running joke of there are many male and female versions of The Devil Wears Prada. Cross these people once and you are gone Prior to the merger stress was not like it is now. Some of the upper echelon fail to see and listen to those who are in the front lines day in and day out. Customers complain that there are band aid repairs and not long term solutions. Pretty repairs aren't always permanent repairs. Community managers have their hands tied and are limited to what they can do but yet take the brunt of the angry resident issues. Also for those who don't work there and depend on these reviews, please note that MAA has staff that constantly monitor their online presence. Look at the chronological dates and each negative review is followed immediately by a couple glowing reviews. This is whee corporate has people go out to boost their actual rating back up.

Advice to Management

Look at corporate and property staff as assets and not replaceable units. Survey past employees of why they left. Anonymous staff surveys that are truly anonymous may open your eyes. Just because you preach a fun and hip culture doesn't mean that there are not behind the scenes stressirs being put on those doing the grunt work. When your staff is on vacation or out sick don't stress them more by constantly calling and emailing. Staff should be able to have the time off they earned. Otherwise don't charge vacation or suck time if they end up still having to work during that time.

Was great before merger

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time

Pros

Corporate Office provides prompt support, HR, IT, Marketing, Revenue Dept etc. are all a pleasure to work with. All on-site managers are friendly & helpful to each other. They are your sole support system in order to get thru the day.

Cons

Merger with Colonial brought on favoritism. Turn-over is at an all-time high since merger. Good/dedicated mgrs. from MAA & Colonial are leaving & this is effecting the overall moral off on-site teams.

Advice to Management

President of Co. needs to personally survey the current & past managers, asst mgrs. & lead techs & get their feedback of what is going on in the region as employees are being treated badly. Past mgrs. will be able to provide more accurate facts, as current mgrs. already fear for their jobs daily.

11. Assistant Community Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time

Pros

The company has a strong work ethic and values their employees. Great benefits and perks

Cons

commission structure could be better

Advice to Management

none at the moment

RSS Feed </> Embed