Mid-America Apartment Communities

3.3

H. Eric Bolton Jr.

MAA does a lot right!

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities

Pros

Fair & ethical leadership
    Support roles in almost every area business
    Many opportunities for professional growth
    Generous employee benefits
    No unnecessary or redundant reporting
    An organization where you really feel the guiding principles in the every day culture
    Great communication for such a large organization

Cons

Long hiring process. It takes too long to screen candidates for open positions.
    A few growing pains since takeover of Colonia Properties - mostly technology/software related
    No formal training program for onsite associates to grow into management
    No ability to take advantage of social media marketing

Stay focused in long standing company culture as it's what makes MAA unique
    Consider a more efficient company for candidate screening
    Develop a social media marketing campaign to roll out to communities or hire a company to manage

Great company with great values

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities

Pros

I love working for this company! They take care of their employees. They offer great benefits and PTO. The core values of the newly merged company is shown from all levels of the company. It's such a big company now but they do a great job with recognition of your property and personal successes. I've had a great 5 years with this company and would recommend this employer.

Cons

Right now, there are some growing pains from the merger with Colonial. I feel likes it's being handled the best it can be - it's just the nature of the beast.

Keep up the great work!

Good and Stable Company. Lots of room to grow.

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of room to grow. A lot of support from regional teams that other companies do not seem to have in line. That is important to have the "go to" people available for help.

Cons

A lot of changes and upsets lately. Company has grown and merged and seems like we are a little lost in the crowd now with the growth. New procedures and policies and systems that don't seem to working well together.

More hands on training.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company!

Former Employee - Support Manager  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Support Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you love to work with people, this is the job for you. I worked with Mid America from 2006 - 2011 and enjoyed my time there. The company offers great benefits such as profit sharing, medical, 401-k match, tuition reimbursement, and more. My only reason for leaving this company was a due to relocation to California (no properties in California).

Cons

I can't think of any cons other than typical industry issues (e.g. disgruntled residents and evictions). Unfortunately, it's part of the job and common within the industry.

Great Culture and Opportunity for Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

MAA is a great place to work. The leadership really supports their employees and practices servant leadership. Everyone is very personable and promotes teamwork and innovation. In addition, pay is based on what you bring to the table so it is competitive and the ability to earn bonuses is awesome.

Cons

Not a con, but it's work and you have to put it in. It's not for the lazy or complacent.

You have to keep the people motivated on a regular basis. Sometimes I take the little things.

ABSOLUTE WORST

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay and commission is decent.

Cons

The company used to be Colonial and even then they did not care about their employees. It was always tense no matter where you were. They do not give opportunities for advancement. They interview one girl for 3 different manager spots, and still was not given the job because she "didnt have enough experience" when she has been with the company for 3 years and an assistant for 10 years. They play favorites. worst company if you have children or want to have a life. Forget asking for time away. I had the absolute worst experience while working there. I worked with COlonial/MAA for almost 2 years-stuck it out that long because i was waiting for a different opportunity. You don't get support from MAA. I worked at 2 different properties-the first one i was training to get promoted. i transferred to a different property, and forget the training..."it was important". TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE company. Please stay away

Train your staff, care about your employees; they are making the money for you.

The company does a good job in looking out for it's employees. Not only in wages but also mental well being.

Current Employee - Maintenance  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Raises yearly,great work environment, company sponsored training, quarterly bonuses, the management is competent and goes out of their way to make sure you are squared away. Never a lack of materials. And they spend good amounts of money into their properties to make sure the operate smoothly and look great.

Cons

The same challenges you run into with any other complex that is established: age of units (in some cases), uncooperative residents. Having to use your personal vehicle for maintenance and grounds.

I would suggest golf carts or gators for your maintenance and grounds staff. We put a ton of wear and tear on our vehicles doing this job. I've gone through $800 in tires this year alone. Other than that yall are doing excellent.

Underpaid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Mid-America Apartment Communities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

on-the-job training in multi-family real estate. great place for self-starters who don't mind being paid below market while they demonstrate their value.

Cons

once value is demonstrated, getting pay up to market is difficult.

none

Amazing Atmosphere

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Mid-America Apartment Communities part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hands down the best team I have ever worked for. This company is extremely dedicated to their employees and promote a positive and cheerful work environment. Great stability if you choose to go with this company.

Cons

Some property amenities are not as upgraded as I would like to offer my prospective residents, but the maintenance of the properties are spectacular.

Stressful environment

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

Pros

Benefits such as medical and dental.

Cons

Stressed to the max. Constant micromanagement. Lack of effective communication from corporate. Managers that are over departments that they have no clue about that department and what the staff does. Plenty of vacation but always too busy to take. Sick leave is questioned by managers even with medical documents. Staff is flat out scared to come to work. Low morale.

Managers expect staff to be on call 24-7 and send out emails all hours of the night expecting immediate response. People are required sleep.

Expect to work 80+ hours per week if not at a community location.

Competent hard working staff dropping like flies due to unnecessary stress levels.

Golden child upper management syndrome where they can cause the company excessive unnecessary fines but yet people are fired for much much less issues.

Lack of loyalty to many staff members

It is well known that if corporate doesn't like your personally you will be gone even with all the hard, good work you do

Investigation into issues is non existent. One persons word is taken without asking the other.

Don't over stress your staff. Be aware many managers have no idea or appreciate the long hours and hard work staff put in.

Lots of leadership training needed.

The merger has been a hot mess from day 1

Worked for Mid-America Apartment Communities? Contribute to the Community!