Mid America Clinical Laboratories

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
1.4

Dianne VanNess

The worst lab company I've ever worked for!! Be warned of they are buying your lab!

Former Employee - Mlt in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Mlt in Evansville, IN

I worked at Mid America Clinical Laboratories full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Double time on holidays and good shift and weekend differentials

Cons

The most Ill prepared management and upper management I've ever seen. The company only cares about making money and treats the employees terribly. They came in and bought our hospital based lab and sent all of our non stat lab work to their Indianapolis labs and cut jobs and we were notified about via a letter!! Not even a meeting but a letter in the mail 2 weeks before Christmas. They turned what used to be a good lab that cared about service and patents into a lab that only cares about money. They work so short staffed that employees are super stressed and they lie about everything. This is the worst place to work for!!!

Get your head out of your butt and learn to treat your employees better or your company will not be around much longer

Sterile and soulless! Save yourself the disappointment, front line employees will always be second class at MACL

Former Employee - Medical Logistics Courier in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Logistics Courier in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Mid America Clinical Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits; 401k plan, health / dental vision ins., accrued time-off, clean facilities, parking garage @ regional lab. There are some good co workers who understand your frustrations with upper management.

Cons

There are a lot of good people who work for MACL at the regional lab, draw sites, and hospital based labs who are going through the motions. MACL management has found a way to sap any joy or satisfaction from your work.
     It sound great on paper, but once you are here for one year you realize how cheap the company is. The pay raises are ridiculously low, if you work there more than a year you will begin to earn less because the best raises never surpass the cost of living. Couriers and Phlebotomists are the most neglected. MACL is suffering from an ambitious acquisition of hospital labs that have not proved as profitable as eagerly thought. Six Sigma projects have removed the human element within MACL in decision making, creating a new form of tension.

Becoming lean has its drawbacks. Losing your employees respect and dedication will only hinder your recovery. Refocus your goals and better understand the health industry.

Horrible to work for

Former Employee - Medical Technologist
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist

I worked at Mid America Clinical Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Double time on holidays would be the ONLY good thing about the company

Cons

A shame they call themselves a laboratory company. They disrespect the field by getting rid of as many 4 year Medical Technologists to replace them with "lab assistants (high school education required). Will do anything to save money as long as it doesn't affect upper managements salary! Actually were losing work at our hospital based lab as the doctors found out and moved the work to the other hospital in town!

Realize that you need GOOD & EXPERIENCED Medical Technologists to do the work, not someone with a high school education. There is a reason we went to college for 4 years!

Lab Asistant

I have been working at Mid America Clinical Laboratories full-time

Pros

MACL is a terrible company to work for....the DO NOT care about their employees or patients at all. There's nothing much to say regarding this company besides ther'ye TERRIBLE!!!

Cons

Terrible system from top to bottom

If you cared more aboyut your employees and your patients maybe you'd be an ok company, but that;s it just OK. MACL will NEVER be a truly great compnay to work for!!

MACL does not care about their employees.

Former Employee - Medical Lab Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Lab Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Mid America Clinical Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were about average. Health insurance may have seemed pricey, but now that I am unemployed and must buy "Obamacare", I realize their health insurance was a great deal. Paid double time on holidays. Shift differential for evenings, nights and weekends. Some of my coworkers were great people to work with.

Cons

Salaries below other health care labs. Hard to take time off due to small staffs and rules about being able to use PTO. Encouraged by management to cash in PTO hours instead of taking actual time off because it was too hard to cover schedule. Training of new employees was minimal. More important to get them to be able to cover shifts than to be properly trained. Very harsh program of keeping track of errors made. Can be fired at any time for errors, even when training was inadequate. Used to give yearly profit sharing bonuses, gifts at Christmas time and during Lab week. That stopped last year.

Mid level management i.e. Lab supervisors, should not supervise more than one lab at a time. They are expected to do too much and end up being ineffective and burnt out. This is a health care company that should be putting their patients first, but they seem to be putting profits first by over extending their supervisors, letting older experienced more highly paid staff go and staffing their labs with poorly trained lower salary staff. It would have been nice to meet the CEO at least once, but she did not make herself available to hourly staff.

I can not recommend MACL to anybody

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Central, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Central, IN

I worked at Mid America Clinical Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience with this company has left with nothing positive to share with prospective employees. I can think of no true positives about this company to share.

Cons

Policies not enforced consistently across the different facilities. Training programs are non-existent. Opportunities to move to other MACL facilities limited by the needs (staffing level, current major projects such as computer/instrument installs) of the facility you are currently working.

Treat your employees with dignity and respect. My co-workersand I felt that management did not see us as people with lives and families but only as a means to acheive their goals. Stop putting profit ahead of quality patient care.

Recently turned over to Mid America Clinical Laboratories

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Mid America Clinical Laboratories part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Double-time on recognized holiday's. Paid time off is acquired. Some of our previous hospital techniques have become easier to manage and we're now considered a STAT laboratory.

Cons

Patient system is a DOS program that does not meet the needs of a hospital setting, very low tech (used by all MACL locations). Tight on the budget and lost some great supplies and earned some that our less safe in terms of patient contact.

We have been in operation for many years. Please, respect that before you attempt to change the entire outlook and operation of our company overnight.

NOT "Best Places to Work"

I worked at Mid America Clinical Laboratories

Pros

The medical benefits and fellow co-workers.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in management and staff. Being told by your manager you are not allowed to go to HR for issues. HR knowing this is happening and not doing anything about it.

Treat employee's fairly and give raises/promotions when due and deserved to keep morale up.

Labaoratory technician

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician

I have been working at Mid America Clinical Laboratories

Pros

If you have a medical, chemical or biological degree...this would be a good beginning opportunity.

Cons

As with any laboratory job....there are many hours worked during the evening and overnight. If you have small children or prefer a day job, most laboratory work would not be for you.

Although a very enjoyable job, the pay is fairly low which makes for a high turnover rate. It would be helpful for management to offer more positive feedback to their employees.