Mid-Continent Public Library

3.2

Mr. Kurt Killen
1 Rating

Fun job, low pay.

Current Employee - Access Specialist II (Formerly "Librarian Assistant I") in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is a lot of fun. The people are mostly wonderful.

Cons

A lot of the people who work here don't have the education or basic computer skills to be working in a library. Full-time jobs are few and far between. Nearly all of the positions are part time and the pay is VERY VERY LOW.

The staff primarily consists of underemployed, underpaid people with Masters degrees and uneducated, unintelligent non-professionals. If the latter group was cut, maybe the former group could get the hours and pay they deserve. But instead even the tiniest branches have 20+ employees, and MCPL seems content with their bizarre staffing model.

Great place to work

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

Flexible hours, the staff is very nice, everyone is helpful and this job has good benefits and pay, loved working here.

Cons

Management was not always great, sometimes very unorganized work environment

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

The employees are very friendly and great to work with in my experience. Most of the work is very routine in nature, which allows employees to focus on helping patrons and other coworkers.

Cons

The pay is sometimes less than what you could likely make somewhere else. However, what you lack in pay is compensated for by a great work environment. I think it comes down to where you are financially and whether you are willing to sacrifice some pay in order to have an enjoyable place to work.

On the whole, I think that management is doing a good job with the organization. However, there have been times where they have stated that new initiatives or benefits would be put in place, but they failed to completely follow through on them in the time period they stated. I would suggest that they not state these initiatives to employees until they are sure about them.

Library Page

Former Employee - Library Page in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Library Page in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress, flexible, good hours

Cons

Boring, tedious, disrespect, low pay

Should show better appreciation for library pages

Poor

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It pays more than the federal minimum wage

Cons

Low pay, salaried employees get rewarded for work done by hourly empoyees, half time for hourly employees is 8-12 hours a week

Reward hourly employees accordingly, don't mislead employees with the labels of full time vs part time, offer benefits.

Friendly and Flexible

Former Employee - Library Page in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really loved the people i worked with, great after school/summer job if you're in high school, very flexible hours

Cons

Mostly the patrons, but it comes with the territory. If you work in a public library, you're gonna deal with some weirdos.

Working at MCPL is a great experience.

Former Employee - Library Page in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Mid-Continent Public Library are the flexible hours, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people, and the knowledge you gain.

Cons

After working at Mid-Continent Public Library for nearly 2 years I would say that there were no cons, it was an entirely pleasurable experience.

It started out as a really nice place to work, but over time became worse due to management in our department.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

The benefits are really good and paid for by the employer and time off is great! There is good work/life balance.

Cons

The management at least in the dept I work for is terrible. There is some micromanaging and we are treated like children. Communication between management and employees is very poor.

stop micromanaging and give your employees more opportunity for growth and promotion.

Friendly and flexible place to work.

Current Employee - Clerk
    Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule. The people are friendly to work with. It is great to be able to help people find information. You get to interact with a wide range of people from small children to older adults as well as students and people with challenges.

Cons

The library industry is changing. There is some uncertainty about what the clerk job will be as the library changes with new technologies.

Headquarters management does not seem to be listening to Managers at the branch level when making decisions about day to day operations at the branch and how things run most efficiently.

Pathetic and one of the most degrading places to work due to lack of competency of management and lack of team work.

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

The company is very giving with time off and lenient on scheduling. Very lax environment when it comes to work ethic.

Cons

Management micro managing to compensate for inability to do job. Management cannot schedule workers correctly and are unable to do the job of those who they are managing. Also co- workers cannot assist other co -workers in their duties without getting in trouble. Management communicates through email but won't respond to emails. Lack of information of how to do your job due to no training and micro managing.

Let co workers assist each other and stop micro managing so that work can be done, train your employees, have a free flow of information, and hire competent managers.