www.midas.com

2.6

Erik R. Olsen

Current Employee - Receptionist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Midas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about cars

Cons

No sick time or personal time, get sent home often based on sales,

A good company to work for.

I have been working at Midas

Pros

It Great pay and benefits.

Cons

Long Way to many hours

Come around more often.

Pro pro pro pro pro

I worked at Midas

Pros

Thumbs up. Way way up. Excellent benefits and plenty of brake jobs and oil changes

Cons

Leadership is lacking, training was limited. The donuts were always day old.

Trying to maintain

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Midas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company continues to try and maintain. Tight knit organization, which worked to keep the profits rolling thru the door. Once they moved to Florida, lost momentum.

Cons

Management only worried about maintaining profits. If you are on the top...you were rewarded. If you are a worker bee, you stay a worker bee

Don't forget where your profits are coming from

Franchise company

I worked at Midas

Pros

Great learning experience, fast paced work environment

Cons

Challenging to sell at times

Not in tune to customer's desires, wants, or needs

I worked at Midas full-time

Pros

cheap oil changes, friendly service

Cons

unqualified employees and inferior products

"The Midas Touch"- I would have to say, "Not so Much".

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Midas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am struggling to find any pro's to working for Midas of "Pack 2000" in the Hartford CT Market other than major discounts on car repairs. Depending on which location your working in some of the techs are very knowledgeable and I would let them work on my car. The customers I had were great!

Cons

Where do I begin? The base pay is sub par. And that is an under statement. Since you are expected to work 58 to 65 hours a week. So as the Store Manager your basically working for $12 to $12.50 an hour to run a million dollar business. The commission is paid based on your weekly results, so that can be maxed out from time to time. Now if you have some half way decent techs that are not forgetting to tighten drain plugs or wheel nuts, then your headaches can be reduced to customers just being upset over the outrageous prices.
    In addition to the long hours and sub par pay, Management does not acknowledge any positive accomplishments, EVER. Management should read that book, "Management for Dummies". Very applicable for this market.

Unless you stop the revolving door of firing managers after 90 days. Then your customers will or have already lost confidence in your establishment and go elsewhere for car repairs. I was personally told by a few customers willing to be candid that they were not comfortable with the instability that they percieved as extremely very evident by not giving your managers adequate time to actually turn the stores numbers around before terminating them. By doing so you are destined to fail as a company and a brand. Some of the most successful managers in retail automotive sales: regardless of company association, have been the "ROCK" at a particular location for 10 to 20 years. Guess what? Each month was not a banner month. Each year they didn't knock the cover off the ball. But when upper management stood by them and gave them support over the years. Then the customer's get in a habit of only dealing with that one location and that one manager. Customers don't like change for the most part. They don't feel compfortable bouncing around to differrent repair shops. And they sure don't like to have their familair manager terminated because of short term lagging sales. BTW this was done right before the holidays, to a family man with a large family.
    So, long story short.......RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! Their competitors are doing it better. I.E. Firestone!

P.S. When a customer spends $1200 on a complete brake job, front to back, including brake lines. They shouldn't have to return 3x to have a low brake pedal addressed when that was the original issue. Then to have the District Manager inform them that the rotted brake line that wasn't addressed at the time of the repair is not going to be repaired at no charge, when the original repair was only performed 6 months prior is just bad customer service.
    BUYERS BEWARE! Management should come up with better service warranties.

Horrible

I worked at Midas

Pros

There are no pros there

Cons

Stay away. They lie when they hire you. You will go nowhere working there.

Corporate does little to ensure quality at franchises.

I have been working at Midas

Pros

Job Security (No one else will work here)
    Commission

Cons

Poor pay
    Lack of basic supplies
    Not allowed to call off or even take lunch some times due to low number off employees

Ok, not great, not horrible.

I worked at Midas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good shop equipment for tires and exhaust, decent stock of parts on hand. online training and on-site training. Good group of guys to work with at my shop.

Cons

Poor diagnostic shop tool inventory, only OTC genysis with just obdii cable. store went from corporate to franchise without even district manager awareness, several drastic changes followed. When TBC acquired, cut holidays including the 4th of July.

Don't monopolize employee personal time by taking away holidays.