Middle Tennessee State University

good for a student

Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working at the desk is a great student job

Cons

only limited pay and hours

Very good employer with great benefits

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. State puts an extra 10% of your salary into retirement account. There's a sick bank that you donate 2 sick days a year to but is there for unlimited sick time if you need it.. Great health insurance.

Cons

The pay is average. Raises are few and far between. But, Murfreesboro has a fairly inexpensive cost of living with great schools and not much commute.

Great place to work with amazing people!

Former Employee - Disability and Access Center in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Disability and Access Center in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the people that I worked with. It was like we were a family. Everyone got along and all shared the same goal- to help others.

Cons

The challenges were not with the staff but rather the students. They could often get rude or angry when things did not go their way.

They were very respectful of the employees. I never had to feel bad about for a day off or if something came up suddenly they understood. They were always asking for employee feedback which I think is great. Overall, they were awesome!

Amazing

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of networking and connections; great growing town

Cons

Paid once a month
    Required to not leave the premises when on duty
    Required a lot of unnecessary time

Cater to your RAs more. They work very hard.

Not a place for doing advanced research

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There might be some interesting opportunities to interact with some talented people. The campus is close to Nashville. Mostly problem free town.

Cons

This is not a place for doing advanced research. The university does not put emphasis on research as a way to get its profile higher. It is more of a glorified community college. Even though they have a few graduate programs thrown in the mix, those programs receive almost no funding. The research budget is almost non-existent at this university.

Decide whether you want the place to improve in the neat future. If yes, then invest in good scholars and make sure you can attract promising graduate student. If not, then your current model will soon become a dinosaur.

Great place to work and learn

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This university provides great learning environment.
    It also has best infrastructure for research.
    It is recognized as one of the best schools for aviation in the united States.

Cons

-sometimes there can be funding constraints. Apart from that, I cannot think of any cons.

Keep up the good work...

I was a Resident Assistant at Scarlett Commons at Middle Tennessee State University.

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Murfreesboro, TN

Pros

It was a great way to get experience in interpersonal communication

Cons

There are no challenges of working here other than the fact that it is known that at other universities you do get free housing, but at MTSU RA's only get half off.

They should have monthly rewards for outstanding RAs.

All About Growing Pains

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some good people in the athletic department and really appreciated getting my first opportunity in the industry. The pay was low, but what you would expect for a beginning assistant coach position.

Cons

While I was there MTSU was stuck between trying to move from being an irrelevant Mid-Major athletic program to a relevant Mid-Major athletic program. The recent move to Conference USA may help that, but they had been discussing the potential move when I arrived back in 2006.

As an adjunct instructor for a year, it was good while it lasted.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If they have a need, they will give you a fair amount of work. Most of the people I taught with were fairly nice, other teachers and students included.

Cons

The contract was only for a year, then they hired someone else on a permanent basis, so don't expect to stay there if you're an adjunct. Some of the teachers and students can have an attitude of entitlement.

Cultivate your part-time employee base, and keeping full-time professors would be less of a problem.

A good school with an inferiority complex

Former Employee - Coordinator in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many, very dedicated individuals toil away at MTSU with little in the way of recognition. Good people.
    There are some very good students - not as snotty and entitled as you will find at other types of institutions. I loved the impact of the Music / Recording Industry track students on the campus culture. Lots of musicians carrying their instruments around campus and music being played by students in between classes. Lovely.

Cons

This has historically been a commuter campus so there is some baggage there. not much going on, on-campus after 6pm or on weekends... Students commute as far away as Nashville and really don't have time to connect with the campus other than to check in for class and quickly check out. Students carry on with full-time jobs which holds back their potential to perform in the classroom.

My move to work at MTSU was also a move to living in the South for the first time. Things are slow to move down there... change is snail-like. There is not much impetus to innovate - folks like to keep on doing things the same way they have for 50 years.