Middle Tennessee State University

Reset
3.8
Middle Tennessee State University President Sidney A. McPhee
Sidney A. McPhee

Pros
  • Worked with some good people in the athletic department and really appreciated getting my first opportunity in the industry (in 2 reviews)

• Working for the state means great benefits (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • While I was there MTSU was stuck between trying to move from being an irrelevant Mid-Major athletic program to a relevant Mid-Major athletic program (in 3 reviews)

• Students carry on with full-time jobs which holds back their potential to perform in the classroom (in 2 reviews)

1. Student Worker

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University part-time

Pros

Get to work with great people. The environment is very great and it is fun getting to work with college students.

Cons

The pay is not very good. The parking is terrible and I think that the use of money that MTSU spends in different departments needs to be changed. I think that MTSU wastes money on a lot of things that shouldn't be wasted on.

Advice to Management

I think you need to rethink the way you spend your money. I think things could be a lot better.

2. ga

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University

Pros

good chance to study with teacher

Cons

not much to talk about

3. Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people were nice to work with. They had good benefits and they took good care of their people. We worked as a team to get the jobs completed in a timely matter.

Cons

Parking trying to find a place to park during school time was difficult. Raises were not given the way they should have been. Some years we received nothing. By the way my last year of employment was in 2007. I was unable to place that in the designated spot.

Advice to Management

I went from a data entry clerk to a coordinator in the 9 1/2 years I worked there. I started out on level 3 and advanced to level 6.

5. Interesting...

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great student body, and there were some fantastic people who worked there. Faculty leadership for science and agriculture were awesome. Many of the athletic coaching staffs worked hard to make sure student athletes were well-rounded competitors who either seem to go pro or go business professional. Your experience will vary based upon the department to which you are assigned simply based on the leadership of that department.

Cons

Certain departments and leaders within said departments were very unprofessional and lack the ability to think strategically regarding program standards or progress. "What worked 10 years ago, will work now" seemed to be an overarching theme from administrators. It seemed that many tenured administrators viewed the university on par with in-state competitors such as Vanderbilt, Memphis or the University of Tennessee, both athletically and academically. The academic programs that truly are the best in the state (e.g. robotics, aerospace, agriculture programs) really weren't marketed well, and locals seemed to have almost no idea what was going on with these programs. The same goes for other departments such as athletics. The athletic programs that were succeeding in both sport & academics, weren't marketed well at all, and there was a lack of brand consistency with logos. Students seemed to enjoy their teachers and programs but didn't seem involved or very interested in Athletics, Student or Greek life. I think this was due partially to a small residence life program at a commuter school, but still - there didn't seem to be much student body unity. It was incredibly difficult to get new ideas or programs started here as certain administrators are very set in implementing the exact same marketing, academic and forecasting strategies that have been used for too many years to improve academic programs, employee and student growth.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas, new ways of thinking and research new strategies. In order to improve academics, athletics and increase student body numbers, you must change how you approach improving the university culture, programs and success. Middle Tennessee has the ability and opportunity to be a leading university on multiple fronts (nationally and internationally), but there must be either a change in leadership or a change in thinking to achieve it. You have a wonderful student body and great faculty leaders. Listen to what they think, ideas they have, and let them lead. Know your target market, know your prospective students, know your community - do not assume everyone knows how great MT can be. Make a concerted effort to achieve brand consistency market the great opportunities and programs MT can offer. Change is good - please embrace it!

6. Freedom to do your job

Current Employee - Multimedia
    Current Employee - Multimedia

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, non-traditional hours, surrounded by your passion, travel, coworkers

Cons

Long hours, almost zero acknowledgement of job performance

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel appreciated

7. Just ok for experience only..........

Former Employee - Advisor in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Advisor in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University

Pros

Good benefits. Family/work life balance is ok. Some nice people that work there. Great opportunity to see great speakers on campus for free.

Cons

No room for advancement. The facility is ran based on politics... Never received a raise in 5 years of working there.

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR PEOPLE MORE!!!

8. Graduate Teaching Assistant

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University

Pros

Great way to pay for graduate school. Tuition is almost completely paid plus a reasonable stipend. It is a low stress job offering flexible hours.

Cons

Low salary due to budget cuts.

9. Interesting place

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University

Pros

Lots of time off. 37.5 hour work week. Health insurance benefits are pretty good. Retirement package is pretty good.

Cons

No room for advancement. No salary increases unless approved by the state. Very political environment (internal politics). You have to pay for parking.

10. MTSU

Current Employee - Technical Clerk
    Current Employee - Technical Clerk

I have been working at Middle Tennessee State University

Pros

good benefits; some flexibility for work

Cons

No real advancement opportunities, very inefficient,

Advice to Management

promote based on ability and give raises based on job performance

11. Student Worker

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Middle Tennessee State University part-time

Pros

Whoever you are working for is willing to work around your class schedule and/or if you need extra time off to study.

Cons

Only get paid minimum wage as a student worker.

RSS Feed </> Embed