Middle Tennessee State University

Add Photos

Middle Tennessee State University President Sidney A. McPhee

Sidney A. McPhee

Personal view of MTSU

ProsThe company has great benefits. (Benefits tend to out weigh the lower income)

ConsDepending on the department/area there may not always be advancement, but advancement would mean looking in other areas of the company rather than staying in area you are already in.

Beware of TBR

ProsWithin the department, colleagues are friendly and supportive. Course load is reasonable (3-3). Criteria for tenure are explicitly laid out, and fair.

ConsMany students are ill-prepared for college and ridiculously unmotivated, making it difficult to maintain quality in the classroom. TBR interference further lessens classroom quality by encouraging grade inflation to bring down the DFW rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop interfering and let professors do what we're trained to do.

Great place to work and learn

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsThis university provides great learning environment.
    It also has best infrastructure for research.
    It is recognized as one of the best schools for aviation in the united States.

Cons-sometimes there can be funding constraints. Apart from that, I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a Resident Assistant at Scarlett Commons at Middle Tennessee State University.

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsIt was a great way to get experience in interpersonal communication

ConsThere are no challenges of working here other than the fact that it is known that at other universities you do get free housing, but at MTSU RA's only get half off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should have monthly rewards for outstanding RAs.

All About Growing Pains

Assistant Coach (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsWorked with some good people in the athletic department and really appreciated getting my first opportunity in the industry. The pay was low, but what you would expect for a beginning assistant coach position.

ConsWhile I was there MTSU was stuck between trying to move from being an irrelevant Mid-Major athletic program to a relevant Mid-Major athletic program. The recent move to Conference USA may help that, but they had been discussing the potential move when I arrived back in 2006.

As an adjunct instructor for a year, it was good while it lasted.

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsIf they have a need, they will give you a fair amount of work. Most of the people I taught with were fairly nice, other teachers and students included.

ConsThe contract was only for a year, then they hired someone else on a permanent basis, so don't expect to stay there if you're an adjunct. Some of the teachers and students can have an attitude of entitlement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate your part-time employee base, and keeping full-time professors would be less of a problem.

A good school with an inferiority complex

Coordinator (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsMany, very dedicated individuals toil away at MTSU with little in the way of recognition. Good people.
    There are some very good students - not as snotty and entitled as you will find at other types of institutions. I loved the impact of the Music / Recording Industry track students on the campus culture. Lots of musicians carrying their instruments around campus and music being played by students in between classes. Lovely.

ConsThis has historically been a commuter campus so there is some baggage there. not much going on, on-campus after 6pm or on weekends... Students commute as far away as Nashville and really don't have time to connect with the campus other than to check in for class and quickly check out. Students carry on with full-time jobs which holds back their potential to perform in the classroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy move to work at MTSU was also a move to living in the South for the first time. Things are slow to move down there... change is snail-like. There is not much impetus to innovate - folks like to keep on doing things the same way they have for 50 years.

Would go back if the pay was close to in-line with private industry

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsThis is a relatively low stress environment. When things go wrong they are simply fixed without undue stress.

The people I worked with across the campus were wonderful. I can’t think of even a single person who was less than professional and most went above and beyond.

The benefits are very good.

There is a good mix of very modern and older technology to give someone working in IT an interesting day.

ConsThe only real con I and offer is that, at least in IT, MTSU was significantly below the Nashville pay norm. Ultimately I left for more money and no other reason.

Network Technician

Network Technician (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsThis job was very easy. I was able to work whenever I chose. I managed computers in four dorms around campus for ResNet, based out of Womack. I was allowed to work 20 hours a week, and the pay was minimum wage. It was more than fair.

ConsSometimes things went wrong with the computers that I didn't understand. I feel like I'm pretty well versed in computer problems, but students have unpredictable needs.

It was nice

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsNice people. I was little scared at first since it is such a big place.

ConsToo big. There are some good, some bad people.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust reach out to as many people as you can, and you will be fine.

Worked for Middle Tennessee State University? Contribute to the Community!