Middough Reviews

Ronald Ledin

Engineering Service Provider

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Middough (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their ability to maintain engineering work load with strategic alliances established through personal relationships in their local community. Their good old boy network seems to ensure a stable work environment for their direct employees. They use contract employees to fill in the ups and downs of the project load.
         They are basically a Job Shop with some engineering capability.

Cons

They are very top heavy management wise. This translate into lower overall compensation rates. Many mouths need to be fed before the workers get paid. Not the lowest but far from the best in the compensation category. They suspend holidays if necessary as well as discontinue 401k match periodically. They provide no management for their field assigned workers. Leaving their employees to be directed by contract management. They seem content to rest on their engineering associations not actively pursuing new clients.

Grow your engineering base and actually manage rather than plan company outings, golf etc.

Not the worst Company to work for but no where near the best.

2. Good company to work for if you do not want rewarded.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment. You could defecate right on the floor in the middle of the lobby and still not get fired!

Cons

Poor compensation package, poor benefits. Don't be surprised if they take away your day after Thanksgiving holiday away from you and your 401K match if upper management feels like work will be slow for more than a month's time.

Get a clue, guys!

3. Needs management reform

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Toledo, OH

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were a lot of freedoms allotted to all the employees when it came to personal supervision and responsibility. Pretty low stress work environment but that can lead to problems on its own.

Cons

There was too little support from management. It was common for most things to go below the radar during projects so there was little assistance, reprimand, or reward for the quality of work provided. Not enough active management within the individual departments, especially the structural department

There needs to be more direct contact and disclosure between the DM's and the individual project engineers. This all needs to be coordinated with the PM's in the end as well. There is a lot of miscommunication within the company. I personally felt under-appreciated for my contributions to the company while other project engineers would play the system and fly under the radar without contributing much in the end. I think this comes from a lack of direct management, specifically direct manager-to-engineer co-operation.

5. lack of quality leadership, technology and benefits

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of projects. Engineering managers try to do their best but they are required to do as they are told and often have to be the ones to deliver the bad news. Co-workers are good for the most part for those that stay around. Some people in the Oak Brook office make an effort to improve the work environment and make it a better place to work by planning events and activities or at least one person is trying.

Cons

They do not know how to manage change, their idea of technology is excel spreadsheets and colored charts to match. The 401 k match gets added, taken away, added, taken away - not a good message to employees. Communication is lacking from all levels. I didn’t know the ceo’s name until recently and wouldn’t know him if I saw him. Senior leadership leads by threatening people ‘s jobs. If you are not part of the ‘in crowd’ you will be on the short list when work gets slow and they need to get rid of people on no work. Just waiting for the right offer and I am out of here. No amount of money could get me to stay here any more. They got rid of HR lady for who knows what reason – that sent a bad message and we all feared for our jobs thinking the office was going to close. I guess the HR VP came to the office a couple times but I have no clue who that is and don’t even know what the point was. They just brought her back (good thing) but I have know idea why she would want to come back after what they did to her.

Walk the walk. Stop talking and start doing. Lead by example – the attitude of the company reflects the poor leadership. Town hall meetings don’t add any value. Communicate often not just when something negative happens.

6. Engineering practice

I worked at Middough

Pros

Strong engineering practice in many practice areas

Cons

Architectural practice wS secondary to engineering

None

7. electrical

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Middough part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great environment professional colleagues and responsible human resources

Cons

there are basically no major challenges - there is usual work not much technically challenged

nothing

8. Incompetent Ownership

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Middough full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good initial pay. Good medical benefit.

Cons

Terrible management that consistently fosters a adversarial culture, management by crisis all the time, no 401K match or they will take it away at a whim, 6 holidays and will often take the day after Thanksgiving away. Poor overall treatment of employees.

Grow up. Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Show positive leadership your false negativity wears people out Respect everyone's time not only yours. You all need more self awareness and less arrogance.

9. Worked on 1 project

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hired me when I was laid off

Cons

no stability, staff hired and laid off at the whim of management, several offices opened and closed within 5 years.

Fire yourself and find qualified replacements

10. Mixed bag experience

Former Employee - Support Staff in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The chance to contribute was good, and most of the engineers and architects were professional and team oriented.

Cons

The atmosphere was Draconian and pressure filled.

over 10 years technical manager

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good employees, flexible hours, middle benefits

Cons

terrible upper management, all yes men or fired, charged for company owned parking, extremely cheap with employees, gouge clients, little room for growth, everyone afraid for your job

hire salesmen, no incentive to bring in work