Middough Reviews

Ronald Ledin

1. Project Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Middough (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome staff, great flexibility, management is very respectful to lower level employees, professional experience with guidance from knowledgeable and experienced CPA's, good amount of time off. CFO and accounting manager are both great people to work for. CEO always treated me with respect.

Cons

The negative reviews for Middough are unwarranted, in my opinion. I am not an engineer, so my position was as a minority, but from my perspective the engineers seemed happy and enjoyed a good amount of flexibility and ability to do things their own way. I feel that I was treated fairly in regards to salary for my level of experience, and more than fairly as far as flexibility. There was not much room for immediate advancement within the accounting department, simply because it is not a huge company, but my experience there has made it much easier to advance on my own, hence a high rating for career opportunities.

Advice to Management

My only advice to accounting management is to continue to support your staff. I always felt like my managers could be counted on to either support or correct me, and they would involve themselves in anything I asked them to be involved in. Middough's CFO is an especially awesome person to work with.

2. Great Work/ Life Balance

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Middough full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small group, so you feel valued. Senior engineers have worked in different industries and are always willing to explain concepts to younger engineers. Department meetings are held regularly to keep engineers in the loop. Management is flexible with PTO. Even at entry-level you get to work on variety of projects and gain valuable and marketable experience. Competitive salary and raises for the Chicagoland area. Location is great, near highway and variety of places to go out for lunch. In-building gym and covered parking available a plus for Chicago winters.

Cons

Depending on the economic climate/ lack of projects can result in shortened work week but I think this is rare.

worst place i have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Middough full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some of the people know that they are doing. we used to have good projects to work on but not so much anymore small jobs no big ones the only thing big around here are some of the peoples heads that think they're invincible.

Cons

where to start. if you want to work at a place that shows commitment to employees this is not the place for you. if you want to work at a place where you feel secure then this is not the place for you. they hire and fire people and there is no stability. they make empty promises to people that are never kept. trying to get anything done by IT like little things such as software requests so that projects can get done is ridiculous so you sometimes have to sit there on no work hours and that just puts a bullseye on your back to get laid off or furloughed. they demote good people and replace them with people that do not have the experience but just know the right people. you can find happier faces at a funeral home than you can here. swearing at this place is out of control and it is not the conversational type swearing it is the yelling at employees swearing so everyone is afraid to do anything.

Advice to Management

sell. get new projects. don't hire and fire it doesn't do well for employee morale and the word in this industry spreads like wildfire.

Senior Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Middough full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exposure to a large variety of different industries.

Cons

Inept Management and overbearing work processes

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing, invest in people

Good company to work for if you do not want rewarded.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Middough full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment. You could defecate right on the floor in the middle of the lobby and still not get fired!

Cons

Poor compensation package, poor benefits. Don't be surprised if they take away your day after Thanksgiving holiday away from you and your 401K match if upper management feels like work will be slow for more than a month's time.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, guys!

Needs management reform

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Toledo, OH

I worked at Middough full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were a lot of freedoms allotted to all the employees when it came to personal supervision and responsibility. Pretty low stress work environment but that can lead to problems on its own.

Cons

There was too little support from management. It was common for most things to go below the radar during projects so there was little assistance, reprimand, or reward for the quality of work provided. Not enough active management within the individual departments, especially the structural department

Advice to Management

There needs to be more direct contact and disclosure between the DM's and the individual project engineers. This all needs to be coordinated with the PM's in the end as well. There is a lot of miscommunication within the company. I personally felt under-appreciated for my contributions to the company while other project engineers would play the system and fly under the radar without contributing much in the end. I think this comes from a lack of direct management, specifically direct manager-to-engineer co-operation.

Engineering Service Provider

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Middough (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their ability to maintain engineering work load with strategic alliances established through personal relationships in their local community. Their good old boy network seems to ensure a stable work environment for their direct employees. They use contract employees to fill in the ups and downs of the project load. They are basically a Job Shop with some engineering capability.

Cons

They are very top heavy management wise. This translate into lower overall compensation rates. Many mouths need to be fed before the workers get paid. Not the lowest but far from the best in the compensation category. They suspend holidays if necessary as well as discontinue 401k match periodically. They provide no management for their field assigned workers. Leaving their employees to be directed by contract management. They seem content to rest on their engineering associations not actively pursuing new clients.

Advice to Management

Grow your engineering base and actually manage rather than plan company outings, golf etc. Not the worst Company to work for but no where near the best.

lack of quality leadership, technology and benefits

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Middough full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of projects. Engineering managers try to do their best but they are required to do as they are told and often have to be the ones to deliver the bad news. Co-workers are good for the most part for those that stay around. Some people in the Oak Brook office make an effort to improve the work environment and make it a better place to work by planning events and activities or at least one person is trying.

Cons

They do not know how to manage change, their idea of technology is excel spreadsheets and colored charts to match. The 401 k match gets added, taken away, added, taken away - not a good message to employees. Communication is lacking from all levels. I didn’t know the ceo’s name until recently and wouldn’t know him if I saw him. Senior leadership leads by threatening people ‘s jobs. If you are not part of the ‘in crowd’ you will be on the short list when work gets slow and they need to get rid of people on no work. Just waiting for the right offer and I am out of here. No amount of money could get me to stay here any more. They got rid of HR lady for who knows what reason – that sent a bad message and we all feared for our jobs thinking the office was going to close. I guess the HR VP came to the office a couple times but I have no clue who that is and don’t even know what the point was. They just brought her back (good thing) but I have know idea why she would want to come back after what they did to her.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. Stop talking and start doing. Lead by example – the attitude of the company reflects the poor leadership. Town hall meetings don’t add any value. Communicate often not just when something negative happens.

10. Engineering practice

I worked at Middough

Pros

Strong engineering practice in many practice areas

Cons

Architectural practice wS secondary to engineering

Advice to Management

None

electrical

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Middough part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great environment professional colleagues and responsible human resources

Cons

there are basically no major challenges - there is usual work not much technically challenged

Advice to Management

nothing

RSS Feed </> Embed