Middough

Ronald Ledin

Engineering Service Provider

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Middough (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their ability to maintain engineering work load with strategic alliances established through personal relationships in their local community. Their good old boy network seems to ensure a stable work environment for their direct employees. They use contract employees to fill in the ups and downs of the project load.
         They are basically a Job Shop with some engineering capability.

Cons

They are very top heavy management wise. This translate into lower overall compensation rates. Many mouths need to be fed before the workers get paid. Not the lowest but far from the best in the compensation category. They suspend holidays if necessary as well as discontinue 401k match periodically. They provide no management for their field assigned workers. Leaving their employees to be directed by contract management. They seem content to rest on their engineering associations not actively pursuing new clients.

Grow your engineering base and actually manage rather than plan company outings, golf etc.

Not the worst Company to work for but no where near the best.

Engineering practice

I worked at Middough

Pros

Strong engineering practice in many practice areas

Cons

Architectural practice wS secondary to engineering

None

lack of quality leadership, technology and benefits

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of projects. Engineering managers try to do their best but they are required to do as they are told and often have to be the ones to deliver the bad news. Co-workers are good for the most part for those that stay around. Some people in the Oak Brook office make an effort to improve the work environment and make it a better place to work by planning events and activities or at least one person is trying.

Cons

They do not know how to manage change, their idea of technology is excel spreadsheets and colored charts to match. The 401 k match gets added, taken away, added, taken away - not a good message to employees. Communication is lacking from all levels. I didn’t know the ceo’s name until recently and wouldn’t know him if I saw him. Senior leadership leads by threatening people ‘s jobs. If you are not part of the ‘in crowd’ you will be on the short list when work gets slow and they need to get rid of people on no work. Just waiting for the right offer and I am out of here. No amount of money could get me to stay here any more. They got rid of HR lady for who knows what reason – that sent a bad message and we all feared for our jobs thinking the office was going to close. I guess the HR VP came to the office a couple times but I have no clue who that is and don’t even know what the point was. They just brought her back (good thing) but I have know idea why she would want to come back after what they did to her.

Walk the walk. Stop talking and start doing. Lead by example – the attitude of the company reflects the poor leadership. Town hall meetings don’t add any value. Communicate often not just when something negative happens.

electrical

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Middough part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great environment professional colleagues and responsible human resources

Cons

there are basically no major challenges - there is usual work not much technically challenged

nothing

Incompetent Ownership

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Middough full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good initial pay. Good medical benefit.

Cons

Terrible management that consistently fosters a adversarial culture, management by crisis all the time, no 401K match or they will take it away at a whim, 6 holidays and will often take the day after Thanksgiving away. Poor overall treatment of employees.

Grow up. Treat everyone with dignity and respect. Show positive leadership your false negativity wears people out Respect everyone's time not only yours. You all need more self awareness and less arrogance.

Worked on 1 project

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hired me when I was laid off

Cons

no stability, staff hired and laid off at the whim of management, several offices opened and closed within 5 years.

Fire yourself and find qualified replacements

Mixed bag experience

Former Employee - Support Staff in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The chance to contribute was good, and most of the engineers and architects were professional and team oriented.

Cons

The atmosphere was Draconian and pressure filled.

over 10 years technical manager

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good employees, flexible hours, middle benefits

Cons

terrible upper management, all yes men or fired, charged for company owned parking, extremely cheap with employees, gouge clients, little room for growth, everyone afraid for your job

hire salesmen, no incentive to bring in work

Company does not value employees

Former Employee - Project Assistant
    Former Employee - Project Assistant

I worked at Middough full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly people; flexible work hours; ample parking; good medical and dental benefits package. OK to work here if you are an engineer or chargeable to the client.

Cons

Employees are not valued; no development programs; no 401k matching; only 5 holidays; no employee events i.e. family picnic; company is extraordinarily top-heavy with management who are not chargeable to clients. As soon as you become not chargeable to the client, you will be laid-off.

Need to value employees through compensation and recognition.

Poorly Managed Company, Extremely Top Heavy with Plenty of Managers and Little Results

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Middough full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Projects, when they have them, are very interesting and as a structural engineer, I enjoyed the diversity and challenges they presented.

Cons

Extremely poor management. They treat employees as if they are dispensable according to their incredibly sporadic workload. Massive amounts of work for a period of time and then nothing. The OakBrook office is down to the bare bones now. After laying off/furloughing a good portion of their engineers, project assistants and such, they have the nerve to schedule an interviewing open house not but a few months later. I would only recommend if you are desperate. And then, expect to get laid off sometime in the future.

Do your jobs, bring in work consistently. Plan for slow times. Hire and fire is never a good long term plan.