Midfirst Bank Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

G. Jeffrey Records Jr.

I loved my co workers and the company!

Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Midfirst Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had great benefits, guaranteed hours, stable company, every year we got a Christmas bonus of $250. The first year I was there, I received $1,500 bonus and the 3rd year, I received a $5,000 cash bonus. I worked closely with my community, great co workers, lots of extra fun events during the year, I saw the same people daily so I always felt like I was talking to family not just customers.

Cons

Policies are changing every 2 seconds and they aren't black and white, they were always vague and everyone interrupted it differently. When calling to our back office to get help or answers, a lot of the time they were annoyed, treated you like you were interrupting their day or they would just send you around in circles for a simple answer. Some managers just didn't care about their employees and they have a strategic game they like to play where only favorites were promoted. Some managers don't care how long you have been there for, how much you do, they only care about numbers and will discard a hard working employee QUICK!

If you want low turn over, make sure your employees are happy! When employees reach out and need help from upper management, instead of turning away and finding ways to either fire them or transfer them... be a kind human being and be in their shoes and actually help your employees! Oh and make your goals realistic, realize that each banking center is different and needs to be treated as such...of course banking centers that are located in the heart of the rich in Scottsdale are going to be making all their goals while the banking centers that are located in the average joe Peoria section aren't going to be meeting the same exact goals.

Interview was misleading

Former Employee - Teller II  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Teller II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Midfirst Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employer matches 401k contributions, plenty of room for growth IF you are an aggressive salesperson.

Cons

Management and corporate only view the tellers as salespeople. Hard work, a regularly balanced cash drawer and more than satisfied customers (even with e-mails to the management) mean absolutely nothing to them if you are not aggressively harassing EVERY SINGLE customer in order to meet unrealistic sales goals.

Appreciate hard-working employees who may not be strong at sales. A team takes all kinds of people. The teller who meet their goals are often not doing behind the scenes jobs to make everything run smoothly.

Horrible first banking job experience!

Current Employee - Teller  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teller in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Midfirst Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are the only Pro..

Cons

Where should I start? The ridiculous goals...the pathetic bonus incentives... Awfull hours... horrible management and the favoritism is absolutely dreadful! Do not work here.

Make realistic goals and offer better incentives. People work harder if the payout is worth it

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accountant

I worked at Midfirst Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility with schedules, learned a lot

Cons

Long hours, not happy with management style in the department I was in.

A once great place ... RUINED!

Current Employee - Assistant Banking Center Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Banking Center Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Midfirst Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The Employee Benefits are excellent, the locations are beautiful and well maintained, pay is competitive, quarterly recognition events are enjoyable, generous apparel allowance with an anniversary allowance to update your apparel is offered, yearly Christmas bonus from the CEO, still privately owned.

Cons

This is a company that once surveyed all employees satisfaction and concerns annually and found value in having 100% participation. They recently brought back a survey for new employees, but the opinions and concerns of tenured employees are no longer solicited and even discouraged. Middle Management and Upper Management are absolutely terrible. Regional Managers are a joke and offer no support, commitment, or ethics. MidFirst Bank no longer concerns itself with having a team full of people that share core values, but instead overlooks major ethics and policy violations as long as you can produce numbers. The biggest clown show at MidFirst Bank is non other than the Human Resources Department. Nothing is confidential and there is no investigation that occurs when something is reported; Either swift and often unjustified action is taken or no action at all is taken and problems are swept under the rug. Learning and Performance is full of nice people. The Trainers are all very personable and they offer a wide variety of offerings, but far too often the material is too basic or general to offer any actual value in a real world environment. MidFirst Bank is a "proud partner" of Arizona State University and claims to be a financial partner that seeks to help first time checking account owners on the road to financial success by doing the right for the students. Sounds great, right? Unfortunately, Upper Management is more concerned with the number of Sun Devil Checking accounts opened and not the quality of the relationship. In fact, employees are encouraged to essentially confuse incoming freshman into opening accounts at their new student orientation events. Even though MidFirst Bank says they want to do what is right for these ASU students, it is impossible for Bankers to achieve their sales goals without convincing the student to open a savings account they can't afford or opting their account in to the ability to overdraft and generate fee income for the bank. Doesn't really sound like a financial partner looking out for the students anymore, does it? MidFirst often has Supervisor and Manager positions available, but more often than not someone from Wells Fargo is recruited instead of hiring from within. Upper Management in the Arizona Market is made 100% of former Wells Fargo employees who have turned the once great culture of this private community bank from Oklahoma into an unethical institution who is quickly losing site of its values.

If we are going to preach a culture of "rescuing customers from the competition," let's go back to a time when the employees were proud to say they worked for MidFirst Bank and there was mutual trust between the organization, employees and customers. The growth of the bank should be applauded, but at what cost? MidFirst Bank never will be Wells Fargo, Chase or Bank of America, which was once what we loved about working here. Why are we so desperate to imitate the mistakes those banks made causing their customers to come running to us in the first place? 75% of Banking Center Managers and 100% of Regional Managers are clueless. It's time to spend some time developing the people who are responsible for the careers of everyone building this brand.

better of the evils

I worked at Midfirst Bank

Pros

great benefits and workplace atmosphere

Cons

management is rough, little training

consider talking to your employees to see where they want to go in their careers, and willingly help them get there

MidWest Wells Fargo

I have been working at Midfirst Bank

Pros

The company in Arizona is small enough that you get to meet mostly everyone in the branches. The recognition is great, they take top performers out for a dinner once a quarter, from Tellers to Branch Managers, all in there own categories. Great team dynamic. Allows time for team development, and building client relationships

Cons

All the upper management is from Wells Fargo, and it shine throughout Arizona. Very strict sales goals. Forced to "game" clients into products that they could benefit from but you're asked to harass the client for the business. Teller line isn't any better. They have to ask regular clients for referrals or product recommendations.

Keep Wells Fargo at Wells, and stop hiring your buddies for upper management. Go back to the relationship bank that you are known for.

Great place to learn about banking.

I worked at Midfirst Bank

Pros

Privately held family bank, great incentives for preforming employees. Good people to work with in a close-knit environment. Many perks for meeting sales goals and banking standards.

Cons

Understaffed, most non-preforming banks are not supported. Low morale after continual broken promises of hiring additional personnel. In many cases employees are not recognized for hard work when they are not in the top 5%. Very hard to navigate a career path if you are placed in a under preforming position. Be prepared to stay in a bad position with no way of promoting out even when great improvements are made.

Recognize talented people before they burn out and leave.

Lack of caring.

Former Employee - ABCM  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - ABCM in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Midfirst Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good place for a single younger person to start a career in banking. Benefits are ok. Pay is middle of the road.

Cons

Business hours. With the world of banking moving towards online and ATM banking why be open from 7a-7p and both Saturday and Sunday. These hours are poorly chosen and not cost effective. Upper management lacks responsibility and is affraid to understand the true problem at hand. They assume it's always the banking centers fault for under performance when in actuality it's managements inability to see that goals are to high. Example, missed goals this year so let's raise them this year without changing products offered. General lack of caring about employees by upper management and HR.

See above. Not that any advise given while working there ever got taken into consideration.

Great Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Midfirst Bank part-time

Pros

The management was flexible and willing to work around my schooling.
    The pay was pretty good for the job.
    My team was great to work with.

Cons

If you do not like working in sales you may not like working there.

Find other ways to motivate your team to sell and explain how the products can help the customers.

Midfirst Bank Photos

Lobby

+ Add Photo

Worked for Midfirst Bank? Contribute to the Community!