Midland Memorial Hospital

Midland Memorial Hospital Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My travel nursing experience with Midland Memorial Hospital was an overall positive and enjoyable experience.

RN Resource Traveller (Former Employee)
    Midland, TX

ProsThe pros include first, my peers. The overall peer, healthcare provider group were easy to work with. Most employees were positive, cared about the patients well-being and, took their jobs seriously. Truly a breath of fresh air. Staff work well together and help each other out freely. Supervisors are approachable and helpful. Most physicians were receptive to other staff and patient needs. Supplies well-stocked, plenty of computers and individual working space. Entire chart is found in the computer and easy to read once I learned the system, which was quick.

ConsTheir were not enough nursing assistants on the units. They were scheduled and came in, but would end up sitting one-on-one with certain patients. They need a better system for this. This causes the nurse to be responsible for total patient care way too often. To me this makes way for a dangerous situation for possible patient falls. Many times the nurse patient ratio is too high for great and safe care.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect more and check up on the nursing assistants actually performing their jobs. Many of them appear to be lazy or hiding out. They are well-educated and trained, good to the patients, and are great help when they do work, but can lean to tht lzy tendancy.

Could be better

Manager (Former Employee)
    Midland, TX

ProsChallenging, freedom to make decisions independently, rewarding to work with patients, opportunities for creative thinking and program development.

ConsChronically short-staffed due to economic issues in Midland, and the hospital has not taken adequate steps to keep up with the market, although I understand the dilemma of not being able to keep up salary-wise with oil companies, etc. The management makes lots of promises, but at the end of the day, if your department's work is considered "good enough" you get very little support to make it better and fulfill it's full potential.

A beautiful new hospital for patients with long hallways and distance between patient rooms.

ProsBeautiful new hospital, many opportunities for advancement, many opportunities to work in any unit, construction continues to improve access for patients.

ConsLong hallways, lots of walking. High turnover of staff in town where oil is king and better wages draw employees to work in oil fields, recent use of travelers, extremely difficult to find housing rentals & rental companies gouge renters due to high demand & little supply. Hard for service type employees (healthcare workers, teachers, police, firefighters & etc) to find reasonable, safe, and nice rentals. Some employees earning minimum wage can obtain almost double salary working in major fast food franchise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive with employee support & consider increasing wages for labor intensive staff receiving minimum wages to be competitive with major fast food chain. Recruitment and retention is major problem in this beautiful hospital and is very frustrating for staff that choose to stay.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my job and I love the people I work with.

Anesthesia Tech (Current Employee)
    Midland, TX

ProsI started in materials management and I was given the opportunity to move up. Being an anesthesia tech in the operating room has been a dream come true. I am planning to get certified as an anesthesia tech.

ConsThe only con is that we are understaffed. It puts a lot of stress on everyone but we work through it.

Pays well but very political

Staff RN (Former Employee)
    Midland, TX

ProsNice Facility- upgrading all the time, Good pay and benefits, High acuity so good place to learn, Versant residency program is really awesome and highly sought after from across the country.

ConsPolitical management, Some conflicts are pushed under the rug and not adequately dealt with. nurses "eat their young" (this is steadily improving), frequently understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and positively affirm employees so they feel more of a need to perform. Have zero tolerance for bullying and back biting especially to new nurses.

Stay away

ProsThey should have more lawsuits than they have

ConsManagement and patient safety is obsolete there. Discrimates against its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is beyond help.

ER

ER Tech (Former Employee)
    Midland, TX

ProsHad some great shifts with great nurses, learned some new bandaging techniques, decent benefits/pay. Made some friends.

ConsManager wouldn't let me go back to school to get my paramedic certification, (the school didn't offer night classes for it either) I would have stayed longer had they let me do that. Some nurses had no compassion for patients and didn't need to be in the field. Had one nurse say they were just in it for the money, could care less about patients. Wasn't allowed to utilized my full EMT skill potential. Work/life balance didn't fit my personal needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe supportive when your employees want to go to school to gain more knowledge especially if it will be BENEFICIAL to the department. let them come in late alot of employers will for school and such. Longer breaks (30 minutes isn't enough time). Hire all levels of EMTs not just basics and paramedics (there are EMT-Intermediates) who can do almost everything a medic can do except cardiac drugs and EKG interpretation. Have 8 hr shifts available for Techs not just 12 (this worked great at an ER I volunteered at).

Difficult with current administration

Midland, TX

ProsFriendly environment with excellent staff nurses and employees at lower levels who care about their patients.

ConsDifficult upper management who do not care about their employees.

VP is clueless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Midland, TX

ProsSome good people do work there that really care about the patient

ConsVPs are often clueless and don't leave their office, some are not to be trust

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the staff, you are not as great as you think you are

rn

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Midland, TX

Prosgreat people, great location happy here

Consneed better communication with workers

Advice to Senior Managementhappy with what you are doing here

Worked for Midland Memorial Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Midland Memorial Hospital reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Midland Memorial Hospital employees.