Midland Memorial Hospital

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

CEO

My travel nursing experience with Midland Memorial Hospital was an overall positive and enjoyable experience.

Former Employee - RN Resource Traveller in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - RN Resource Traveller in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The pros include first, my peers. The overall peer, healthcare provider group were easy to work with. Most employees were positive, cared about the patients well-being and, took their jobs seriously. Truly a breath of fresh air. Staff work well together and help each other out freely. Supervisors are approachable and helpful. Most physicians were receptive to other staff and patient needs. Supplies well-stocked, plenty of computers and individual working space. Entire chart is found in the computer and easy to read once I learned the system, which was quick.

Cons

Their were not enough nursing assistants on the units. They were scheduled and came in, but would end up sitting one-on-one with certain patients. They need a better system for this. This causes the nurse to be responsible for total patient care way too often. To me this makes way for a dangerous situation for possible patient falls. Many times the nurse patient ratio is too high for great and safe care.

Expect more and check up on the nursing assistants actually performing their jobs. Many of them appear to be lazy or hiding out. They are well-educated and trained, good to the patients, and are great help when they do work, but can lean to tht lzy tendancy.

Too much politics!

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital

Pros

Most of the staff are wonderful and make the days fly by

Cons

Senior management (directors and vps are very political and will throw you under the bus quickly!

Terrible place, RUNNNNN!

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital

Pros

New facilities, nice equipment, nurses are for the most part pleasant.

Cons

-Does not meet market value for wages compared to similar metro areas
    -Radiology management sucks and is not trustworthy.
    -Radiologists are REAL JERKS!
    -No team work
    -multi-modality imaging professionals are not valued or even used to their full potential

Get rid of the twattie FEMALE Radiology managers and you will have a surplus in imaging personnel available to work.
    There is no shortage, the professionals in the community CHOOSE not to work here.

Could be better

Former Employee - Manager in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging, freedom to make decisions independently, rewarding to work with patients, opportunities for creative thinking and program development.

Cons

Chronically short-staffed due to economic issues in Midland, and the hospital has not taken adequate steps to keep up with the market, although I understand the dilemma of not being able to keep up salary-wise with oil companies, etc. The management makes lots of promises, but at the end of the day, if your department's work is considered "good enough" you get very little support to make it better and fulfill it's full potential.

A beautiful new hospital for patients with long hallways and distance between patient rooms.

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital

Pros

Beautiful new hospital, many opportunities for advancement, many opportunities to work in any unit, construction continues to improve access for patients.

Cons

Long hallways, lots of walking. High turnover of staff in town where oil is king and better wages draw employees to work in oil fields, recent use of travelers, extremely difficult to find housing rentals & rental companies gouge renters due to high demand & little supply. Hard for service type employees (healthcare workers, teachers, police, firefighters & etc) to find reasonable, safe, and nice rentals. Some employees earning minimum wage can obtain almost double salary working in major fast food franchise.

Be proactive with employee support & consider increasing wages for labor intensive staff receiving minimum wages to be competitive with major fast food chain. Recruitment and retention is major problem in this beautiful hospital and is very frustrating for staff that choose to stay.

I love my job and I love the people I work with.

Current Employee - Anesthesia Tech in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Anesthesia Tech in Midland, TX

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started in materials management and I was given the opportunity to move up. Being an anesthesia tech in the operating room has been a dream come true. I am planning to get certified as an anesthesia tech.

Cons

The only con is that we are understaffed. It puts a lot of stress on everyone but we work through it.

Pays well but very political

Former Employee - Staff RN in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Facility- upgrading all the time, Good pay and benefits, High acuity so good place to learn, Versant residency program is really awesome and highly sought after from across the country.

Cons

Political management, Some conflicts are pushed under the rug and not adequately dealt with. nurses "eat their young" (this is steadily improving), frequently understaffed.

Encourage and positively affirm employees so they feel more of a need to perform. Have zero tolerance for bullying and back biting especially to new nurses.

Stay away

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time

Pros

They should have more lawsuits than they have

Cons

Management and patient safety is obsolete there. Discrimates against its employees.

Management is beyond help.

ER

Former Employee - ER Tech in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - ER Tech in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had some great shifts with great nurses, learned some new bandaging techniques, decent benefits/pay. Made some friends.

Cons

Manager wouldn't let me go back to school to get my paramedic certification, (the school didn't offer night classes for it either) I would have stayed longer had they let me do that. Some nurses had no compassion for patients and didn't need to be in the field. Had one nurse say they were just in it for the money, could care less about patients. Wasn't allowed to utilized my full EMT skill potential. Work/life balance didn't fit my personal needs.

Be supportive when your employees want to go to school to gain more knowledge especially if it will be BENEFICIAL to the department. let them come in late alot of employers will for school and such. Longer breaks (30 minutes isn't enough time). Hire all levels of EMTs not just basics and paramedics (there are EMT-Intermediates) who can do almost everything a medic can do except cardiac drugs and EKG interpretation. Have 8 hr shifts available for Techs not just 12 (this worked great at an ER I volunteered at).

Difficult with current administration

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital

Pros

Friendly environment with excellent staff nurses and employees at lower levels who care about their patients.

Cons

Difficult upper management who do not care about their employees.