Midland States Bank Reviews

Leon J. Holschbach

1. 2 Years and not one complaint

Current Employee - Account Executive in Waterloo, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Waterloo, IL

I have been working at Midland States Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the only company I have ever had the honor to work for that keeps it's promises to every customer and every employee. I cannot describe the lengths everyone from our President to our CSR s go to in order to insure each individual is treated with respect, dignity and personal consideration. Any issues that arise are solved based on the customer or employee's need and what is right to do in the situation no matter if it is at a loss to the company. If it is good and right to do, that is the course that is taken to resolve an issue or concern. The benefits include the obvious financial pluses but also personal development, focus on healthy living, family benefits and a deep honest interest in emotionally, physically and mentally healthy employees. The focus on growing and developing our communities is strong and we are encouraged to participate in or organize community events. Our Executive team are the caliber of people rarely found and we are strong as a whole because there are no weak links. Google was rated the top company to work for..... obviously the panel didn't include any Midland States Bank employees!

Cons

There is nothing to complain about when working at MSB. It is extremely fast paced and high expectations but that is nothing to complain about, you work hard and do your best... it's work. If you are in a position that doesn't focus on your strengths, they will get you in one that does or help you get onto the correct path to a career where you can excel. We all work hard at our careers and on ourselves personally to come together and be a company we can all be proud to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Thank you for everything you work so hard to do for our communities, customers and us, your employees!

2. Some good, zero great, mostly mediocre to low in all categories.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I worked at Midland States Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, nice building, some talented workers, good work/life balance, strong growth track (for an investor).

Cons

Terrible corporate culture that breeds undermining and non-best practices (many people afraid to challenge management, an above average amount of poor decisions and rework based on the iron fist approach).

Many in management and executive management lack strong leadership skills when it comes to people (the culture is proof of this as well as how many talented people have left).

Not even close to competitive salaries (non-management) in comparable areas like Indianapolis or St. Louis relative to the cost of living adjustments (which are minimal). Like other organizations in Effingham, Midland has a monopoly on local talent that want to stay in Effingham, they can underpay and do so.

Little to no advancement opportunities.

Lack of training budget and talented workers to help train/keep younger employees.

Advice to Management

Boost company culture – not via jean days – actually have leadership come from the top floor and go to department/team meetings. Become involved with employees and start breeding a culture of innovation and execution. Executive management, directors and managers need to get better at communication (not via emails or handed down scripted vague messages), but by doing it themselves several times a year and pushing themselves (directors and managers) to work with their respective teams to discuss issues and how to actually remedy them.

Get the right people on the bus and the wrong ones off of it – there are lots of managers that are incompetent, could be their own doing, but is more than likely because of bad leadership by executive management. Get the culture on track and then get rid of non-conformers and look/pay for talented workers.

Set some goals outside of only increasing Midland's financial growth.

Become more transparent with decisions and direction of the bank (embrace change, most modern companies are).

Hire employees you need 2-5 years from now, not ones to just maintain the status quo (will need to get competitive salaries and more marketable benefit package to compete with St. Louis and Indy in recruiting Midwestern talent).

3. Horrible place to work...

Former Employee - Teller in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Teller in Effingham, IL

I worked at Midland States Bank

Pros

Great coworkers, Fast paced environment

Cons

Leadership was horrible
    Customer Service is not a priority
    They do not care about promoting from within
    Moving from location to location
    Having 3 bosses standing over you all day

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you are still in highschool and treat people appropriately. People should be valuable because of their skills, not because they are part of the "it" crowd. There needs to be much more focus on customer service. Customers are the reason why we have a job and a reason to be there.

5. Worst Bank Experience Ever. I don't believe they have any minorities working for them.

I have been working at Midland States Bank (More than 5 years)

Pros

Poor Management lacking contact with it's employees.

Cons

To many people upon top fighting for their positions. The people in the trenches are experiencing mounting frustration and anxiety that should not be allowed in the work place.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the chiefs and add Indians to your trenches.

6. Mid-to-Large size Bank trapped in Community Bank sized shoes

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Midland States Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth potential
    Good leadership
    Great financial security
    Decent benefits

Cons

Low compensation
    Very little room to move up ladder outside of Effingham location
    Hiring from within is not important to them when hiring mid to senior level positions

Advice to Management

Your focus should be on your customers. Put more planning into the changes you make and make sure it will cause as little disruption and anger from current customers. Move BEYOND the "open a checking account, get XYZ for free". The days of free toasters are over. If you do not do something to stop hemorrhaging accounts, there will be nothing left. Spend the extra time and money to treat your loyal customers.

7. Low morale, elitist environment, HR calamity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I have been working at Midland States Bank

Pros

Great ancillary training; some mid-level managers that are fantastic - motivating, smart, very qualified.

Cons

Isolated senior management; too many decisions based on personality and not analysis and relevance. Disresgard for employee chosen career paths for personal agendas - HR is a significant failure. (see interview review for comments provided by someone else) It's like having to relive high school and not being in the small 'it' crowd all over again for most of the staff.

Advice to Management

Take off your blinders; survey employees and find our what's really going on. Listen and react.

Excellent

I have been working at Midland States Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities
    Multiple areas of responsibility depending upon field of focus
    Fast-paced
    Customer oriented
    Innovative

Cons

Growing pains
    Change management
    Lean staffing but large growth goals

RSS Feed </> Embed