Midmark Corporation

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Anne Eiting Klamar

Too many changes, not enough focus

I have been working at Midmark Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay, good benefits, safe and healthy environment

ConsSystem-wide instability with too many people doing continuous improvement projects and problem-solving with insufficient training. For the average shop floor worker, this kind of environment interferes with daily production and decreases morale. Also, Midmark has undergone a plant expansion and is in the middle of moving departments around, so this also contributes to instability.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid micro-managing. If you have support staff and team leaders working for you, let them do their jobs with minimal guidance.

Pleasant research work, with no interference

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Torrance, CA

I have been working at Midmark Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Prosability to work at your own pace, low stress, active research allowing for growth of personal knowledge at varied technolgies

Conslower salary compared to many competitors

Incompetent Management in the Lower and Middle Tiers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dayton, OH

I worked at Midmark Corporation full-time

ProsFrom what I observed the company seemed to have a firm grip on the medical/veterinary/dental equipment markets.

ConsMany of the technologies used in the IT infrastructure department were outdated and many of the problems that occurred were preventable. For example, at the time they were using an outdated version of Java which opened them up to a slew of security issues--including the notorious blackhole kit exploit (that was a fun day). This also caused issues with VPN access. There were several network vulnerabilities that I observed. We found an unauthorized computer, on the Midmark network, named "Ravi" downloading bit torrents, and taking up a significant amount of network bandwidth, if that tells you anything.

The thin-clients, on the manufacturing lines and customer service, were a terrible idea. The Midmark network doesn't have enough bandwidth to support thin-client usage. So, when network usage would peak, the thin-clients would not function properly.

The people in the trenches were the ones that had to figure things out when things went wrong (as they often did)--so managers didn't change a thing as long as it didn't affect them and they could just sit at the golf course in Versailles all day and act like they were working. Performance means nothing to this company. As long as you're well liked then you can do absolutely nothing. If you start questioning the way things work, then you are made a pariah.

They strung me along to believe that I had a chance of getting promoted, but I began to see that this was just a pretense. They were really polite, in a weird bucolic type of way, when they were doing it, too.

I am convinced most of my former managers had no clue what they were doing and were not very effective at their positions. One of my former managers was moved around the IT department several times and by their own admission they were not a technical person. This manager was promoted and they brought in another manager that was even more clueless. Some of the managers in the IT department had no idea what they were doing.

I would avoid this company if you're looking for a job in IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of your IT managers are clueless.

Good Ol' Boy System Run Amok

I have been working at Midmark Corporation full-time

ProsThe people down in the trenches are good natured and hard working.
The company is privately held and the market is insulated from many pressures facing most of the rest of corporate America - this has resulted in a lot of stability...and quirks.

Cons1. There is a religion at Midmark and it is called the "Midmark Production System" - patterned on the Toyota Production System. We were taught this religion by a high priced consultant who refused to write anything down and who only taught us part of it from what I have seen in action at other companies. Those that question it - and there is plenty to question - are cast out. And by that, I mean that you are silently put on a list not to advance and you are politely ignored, worked around, not included. All of this happens with a smile on their faces.

2. There has really only ever been one cohesive group in the entire company - the Manufacturing Department. All of the other departments have either not had a strong leader for a long enough period of time or they have been divided among the business units. Marketing, for instance, is Divisional, as is Engineering, Customer Service, etc. But not Manufacturing. They have been one gigantic monolithic silo since before the nineties. They have hundreds of people to draw from and they can move people around at will without really feeling any loss. And let's not forget that religion - your level of faith in the religion indicates your level of prestige in that department not necessarily your skill or level of accomplishment. It is no coincidence that they are able to spread their people into leadership positions over other departments even when they have no proven skill there. This is called "People Development". It is wonderful for them and a spectator sport for everyone else.

3. There simply is no accountability. If you are well liked, you can get by with actually achieving very little as long as you appear to try really really hard. If you are not or if you are an outsider you have to paddle twice as hard to get half the recognition regardless of what you actually accomplish. There has been big growth but very little bottom line to show for it by comparison to other companies. This is what happens when you put Manufacturing personnel over every department in the company regardless of their actual level of competence. To a hammer every problem looks like a time study.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to learn again. Get hungry again. Hire and promote based on capability and accomplishment. Cut down the C-Team - too much expense all at once with too little benefit to show for it.

Keep looking

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Midmark Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros* Small company atmosphere
* Executives know their markets well
* Company is cash strong, little to no debt
* High margin medical/dental/health products
* Work/Life balance was good - best part of working here

Cons* Nepotism (lots of people in Versailles are related)
* Not a lot of good employers in the area to compare to - so this mediocre company looks stellar locally.
* The area is dying - this company has about 1400 employees (1000 locally) and is in the top 20 largest employers in the Dayton area.
* High margin products (with scrutiny in medical costs and the consolidation in the medical field away from individual doctor offices, this too will end)
* Frantically looking for a future revenue stream for when the high margin durable good they make are no longer their cash cow. 'Services' is the target.
* Protectionism - the locals protect the locals. They all know that when a local loses their job they have at Midmark, there is very little chance they will find another one in the same field in the commutable area.
* Job experience from Midmark is not liked by other local employers, they know about the bad management and the way it works there.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives: Get qualified managers. You are not GE and do not have the ability to create good managers from the new graduates that are consistently put into management positions. Bad managers and poor leaders create bad managers and poor leaders. BOP (Business of People) training will not make them good managers or leaders. You are creating a bunch of bad managers who all have the same way to approach and communicate to employees. Entry and middle management lack the ability to do the jobs they are managing, they lack the ability to make good decisions, and the ability to lead employees to want to succeed and follow. Many only have experience at Midmark. I knew the management was bad while working there, but it became far more evident when I left.

Upper management gets watered down information. I have seen first-hand the ability to hide important data that you should have taken action on for the good of the company. The locals are too afraid to lose their local jobs to provide all of the data accurately. CYA is the name of the game. The best employees leave because of the frustration of working there - with such low turnover, look at how many of those employees are actually 'good turnover' of ineffecive people and how many were regrettable loses.

Positive environment

Casework Designer (Current Employee)
Glasgow, KY

I have been working at Midmark Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsContinuous improvement, development in growth

Consbranch salaries are different amongst the same positions

Nice Company

I have been working at Midmark Corporation

ProsThe atmosphere is family-like. The company has a laid back attitude that is slowly changing as they become more aggressive in their search for growth. I feel the company is generally a nice place to work.

ConsAlmost the entire workforce is related to another member of the company, making for some conflicts of interest and more nepotism than you will find in the average company. The location in Versailles creates some hardship for the company in finding higher skilled workers for some key positions. Harmony between teammates is prized sometimes at the cost of performance.

Up and down but overall have enjoyed my time here. Self development is lacking or only geared at pre-determined employee

I have been working at Midmark Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRelatively good people to work with and the company is doing well.

ConsPeople development is not as defined even with it being a core value. Major growing pains. Feels like many days things are out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople Development...invest in your employees and be surprised at what they can do.

Engineering Glasgow Facility

Engineer (Former Employee)
Glasgow, KY

I worked at Midmark Corporation for more than 3 years

ProsPersonal development. Close knit team.

ConsPay was not competitive. Not much room for career advancement.

Coasting atmosphere

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Midmark Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsVery little micro management seen.

ConsCulture of no accountability or responsibility unless hard line decisions made which makes decision making difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define department R&Rs

Worked for Midmark Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Midmark Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Midmark Corporation CEO Anne Eiting Klamar. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Midmark Corporation employees.