MidwayUSA Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.2

Larry Potterfield

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Stocker  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Stocker in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA part-time for more than a year

Pros

the owners are great to work for and they really do care about their workers. It is a fast growing company and the dynamics are changing all the time.

Cons

Most of the time you are working behind, there are so many orders that it is hard to catch up. You are expected to work a lot of overtime even if you have personal stuff that you have to do.

Logistics: Enjoyable, but inflexible

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay isn't bad for work requiring no skill, but it is hard work. There is almost no learning curve because the work is very simple. i.e. no stress or pressure. The supervisors are easy to like and not hard-core.

Cons

The work is fast-faced and your performance is constantly monitored and posted on the wall for everyone to see and compare. You will leave physically tired every day. If things get busy and overtime is called you have no option but to work late, with as little as 3 hours notice. Schedules, breaks and lunches are very structured and rigid. There is no flexibility here.

The company preaches their core values: honesty, integrity, loyalty, respect for others, etc. But over the last couple of years it has become obvious that they expect that of others but do not adhere to those values themselves.

For 20 months I worked every Saturday and Sunday. When my 78 year old father's health suffered I asked for one day off for a few weeks. Any day, whichever worked best for Midway. "Gee, we'd like to but..." So I gave a little over 2 weeks notice. The next day my employee discount was taken from me. I continue to work the last 2 weeks and asked for 1/2 day off on my last day - declined.

If this sounds like a review from a disgruntled employee who does not perform I assure you it is not. My reviews have been stellar, including the last one done just a few weeks ago and was great. And I'm a helluva fun person to work with!

Well structured environment and growing company.

Former Employee - Applications Developer  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The IS department is full of great developers and admins. It's great place to learn and develop professionally, especially if you are looking to go into IT management.
    Benefits are unmatched in the area and there is a real value placed on work-life balance. Rarely did I work over 40 hours a week.
    The System Architect is looking at migrating to new technologies and platforms, which I think will pay off for the company and developers in a few years.

Cons

The company is so process oriented, at points it becomes more of a hinderance than a benefit.
    The president and certain VP's are sometimes so involved in company projects they begin to micro manage them.
    There really isn't any career advancement outside of management. It would be great if there were a technical expertise career path.

Stop micro-managing company projects and trust your lower level managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Web Developer

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is good. Constant flow of work. Coworkers are respectful.

Cons

It is difficult if you do not fit into the company culture. Very low amount of time-off. Many benefits do not kick in until you've been there a year.

If you're a bigoted white man this is the place for you.

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time

Pros

Would only say pay, they do offer medical but it is pretty poor.

Cons

everything else
    If you are a woman with any sort of backbone this place is not for you. If you are a minority I seriously doubt they will make you an offer, and if they do you will never make upper management. Compulsory NRA membership.

Enforce anti harassment rules. When HR tells you upon hiring that you should understand it is a mans world, and therefore inappropriate misogynistic behavior is an accepted part of the environment- something is seriously wrong.

Great Introduction to how the Corporate World Operates

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. Work/life balance (for most professional positions) is excellent. The people I work with are great. I attribute that to excellent interview and hiring processes. The company's culture is very family-oriented and flexible when needed. Overall, everyone's pretty friendly and willing to help you succeed.

Cons

The work is very process driven and mundane. Most positions do not entail much individual authority. The internal promotion process is inconsistent, which is frustrating. Due to the company's relatively flat structure, there's not a lot of room for advancement. The company's politics are very subtle, but they are there nonetheless. If you want to advance, you really have to play the game.

Great deals and incentives offered by vendors are often missed due to long, overly methodical decision making processes. That said, decentralize the decision making process. Trust your lower and middle management to make the right choices.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the employees were great in the Call Center. If you like guns, the clientele is good. Pay is good for entry level

Cons

If you are not a big gun nut, the company will not let you progress

Stop looking at gun enthusiasts only. People not interested may have some innovative ideas that to you seem out of the box.

Customer Service Representative

I worked at MidwayUSA

Pros

The company has a very nice benefit package with very reasonable rates for employees insurance, the facilities are completely up to date, extremely clean and well maintained.

Cons

You are strictly a number, everything you do is rated and scored from (literally) what time you clock in and out , what time you take your breaks, and how long each assigned task takes to complete.

Take into consideration that people are human and not machines.

Great place for motivated people interested in continuous improvement

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Quality organization (MQA and Baldrige Award winner)
    Family owned and operated
    Challenging work
    Strategy of promoting from within
    Great people to work with
    Owners that hold themselves to high standards
    Great place to work
    Good pay

Cons

Need to be flexible as the organization adjusts quickly to changing needs

Continue to strive for continuous improvement and focus on employee satisfaction.

Good industry, but mundane work

Former Employee - Customer Service Support  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Support in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employees who love the industry and there are many additional perks to working there

Cons

Little room for true advancement. The company prides itself on hiring from within, but that is almost exclusively salary positions to other salary positions. DO NOT TAKE AN HOURLY POSITION IF YOU HOPE TO MOVE UP IN THE COMPANY!

Search your talent pool first. You have many employees that are finishing degrees that would like to advance after they have completed it. Look at them first before hiring from outside of The Potterfield Group.

Worked for MidwayUSA? Contribute to the Community!