MidwayUSA Reviews

Larry Potterfield

1. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is passionate and friendly

Cons

There are no real cons

No advice to management

Showed Me The Light

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-- The pay is above average for the area.
    -- Work attire is casual (depends on your dept).
    -- Free bananas and apples in the break rooms.
    -- Super clean facilities.
    -- Health insurance is very good as long as you stay in network.
    -- This job made me open my eyes to what defines a good job. This wasn't it.

Cons

-- The employees are not welcoming to newcomers.
    -- They will dock you for being even a few minutes late. You are on a point system like at a FACTORY (keep reading and you'll sense a pattern).
    -- Feels too much like a factory.
    -- If you've been there a year then you're above most in seniority (that should tell you something).
    -- Predominately a much younger staff (most are right out of college). If you are older and have a family then you'll probably not fit in.
    -- They speak about "Respect" in all their values; however, the entire time I was there I didn't feel respected at all. There were several in my department who you could sense couldn't stand being around me. It was a very weird environment.
    -- You have to be an NRA member to get any discounts and to expect any professional growth potential.
    -- During orientation, the owner only wanted to make snide comments about the Democratic party.
    -- During my time I often heard employees making disparaging remarks against President Obama, gays, Asians, non-gun lovers, and anyone not drinking the same Kool-Aid as them.
    -- Employees can bring in their personal firearms and they can play with them during breaks (this seems like a serious OSHA violation). I always half expected one to go off and end up killing or injuring someone.
    -- The company is ran so tight (everything is based on processes) that the human element doesn't exist. They have steps you must follow for everything. You even have to follow steps to define if something is done or not, and you will be asked if your "done" follows these steps exactly.
    -- In some departments you have zero personal space. Some of the departments work on an open-office plan and you really won't have your own workspace (not even your own waste basket or drawers). One day I came in and people were on my usual computer so I had to move to the next available one. I've been in the job force now for over 15 years and this is a first for me. I couldn't get used to it.
    -- I lacked camaraderie. I never felt like part of the group. If you're not accepted by the group right away then you'll always be an outsider and you won't have a good future within the company.
    -- You are treated as a number (this goes back to feeling like a factory).
    -- There is no flexibility in way of telecommuting even though many of the jobs would be easy to do at home.
    -- The president of the company is egotistical and you can sense it.
    -- The owner of the company is egotistical (but he makes over $1 million in sales per day so he has a right, I guess).
    -- Plan to be given drug tests a lot. And I mean a lot. During my time (2 years), I was given seven drug tests, and I don't use drugs, nor do I have a reason to be drug tested so much. They say that it's just the luck of the lottery.
    -- They are always recruiting new people. Again, it just becomes a "you are a number."
    -- They had a survey to gauge employee satisfaction. It came back very low and negative. The leadership then began saying that the survey really doesn't tell that much and there could be so many factors affecting the numbers that they have no control over. Uh... yeah, right...

Read my pros and cons. Listen to your people. Listen to your survey results.
    In all my years of working in professional settings, this is the only place where I dreaded going into work. It caused me to become sick because it was such a sterile environment without any real joy. We were only there to make more money for the owners and the senior staff. It made me realize there is more to life than making money just so others can be rich.

Great pay, bad culture

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. They pay is in the the 75% for your experience and job skill. You will be getting the best pay you can in the Columbia, MO area. Process oriented culture.

Cons

The best way I can describe it - everyone is treated like a blue collar employee even the best software engineer. There is zero flexibility on lunch hour or work hours. Your lunch will be 12 pm to 1 pm. If you like to work out at lunch time and take a 1.5 hour lunch and work until 6 pm, too bad, it's not happening. Your work hours will 8 am to 5 pm. No exceptions. If a parent gets sick or our kid needs to come home from school, you'd better have your PTO build up and have a understanding manager. You're not going to work from home or outside "normal" work hours. Mostly a pro, but the process oriented culture can be a bit much at times.

Do a better job on separating warehouse hourly culture from technical workers who have invested many years into their craft. When they see their friends experiencing a better work/life balance in other workplaces, no matter the pay, they will go elsewhere. I don't consider working 40 hours a requirement to work/life balance. I would rather work 45-50 hours and have some control over my schedule.

Not the worst place to work in Columbia, MO

Current Employee - Salaried Non-Management in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Salaried Non-Management in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay.
    Generous employee discount
    Comfortable work environment.
    The right equipment to do your job.

Cons

Not very family friendly at all.

Hours for salaried positions are 8-5; no exceptions... unless it's after 5 or on the weekend. They don't have any problem having someone come in then... and don't expect any comp time. Have to come in in the middle of the night and are there until 4am? See you at 8am. Kids are sick? You can take off, but it's held against you. Spouse in a car wreck? You can leave, but it's held against you. Death in the family? If it's not parent, sibling, or child, you're not getting any time off.

Micromanagement beyond belief; or as they like to call it, "hands on management".

They hire some of the smartest people I've ever seen, and then treat them as if they don't know anything. Most of the employees are treated as if they are children. Managers that barely have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word have been observed telling IT people how computers work.

Culture of blame.

Management will insist on doing things one way, refuse to listen to the subject matter experts, then blame the subject matter experts when it fails. In general, when anything goes wrong, rather than figure out what happened and how it can be prevented in the future, it turns into a big game of who can we blame it on.

Very Cliquey. Reminds me of high school.

Clique are everywhere; especially in management. One minute you can be in, the next you're out. And you have no idea why. There's a group of people that are being groomed for management. No one knows why. Most of them haven't done anything more than anyone else, and several of them have even caused disasters. All that's ever said is, "they have leadership potential". Of course, no one can define what that means or even describe any of their traits.

Training and continuing education are valued by the company leaders; as long as it doesn't cost the company anything; unless you're management. Non-management employees get almost no training whatsoever, but management employees get tens of thousands of dollars of training a year.

Focus on cutting costs.

The company is making money hand over fist, and has been for years, but they focus on cutting costs everywhere as if they are losing money. Virtually no training for regular employees. Breaks are highly discouraged for salaried positions. if you stop in the hallway to talk to someone for 30 seconds, management will be all over you for paying you to do nothing. They don't, however, have a problem with spending tens of thousands of dollars a year to put fresh flowers in the bathrooms every week.

Stop treating your employees like they are ignorant. Listen to them, trust them, and let them do their jobs. A little responsibility and the authority to affect said responsibility would go a long way.

Stop judging productivity by how many hours a day someone sits in a chair.

Treat everyone fairly. Stop promoting your buddies and ignoring hard working employees just because you don't drink beer with them on the weekends. Stop telling the myth of "leadership potential". Train your employees. If you don't see them being leaders, tell them what, *specifically*, is holding them back. Try training them; you'll be surprised how many more have "leadership potential."

CFO asks his CEO, "What happens if we invest in developing our people and then they leave the company?" CEO answers, 'What happens if we don't, and they stay?"

6. Logistics: Enjoyable, but inflexible

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad for work requiring no skill, but it is hard work. There is almost no learning curve because the work is very simple. i.e. no stress or pressure. The supervisors are easy to like and not hard-core.

Cons

The work is fast-faced and your performance is constantly monitored and posted on the wall for everyone to see and compare. You will leave physically tired every day. If things get busy and overtime is called you have no option but to work late, with as little as 3 hours notice. Schedules, breaks and lunches are very structured and rigid. There is no flexibility here.

The company preaches their core values: honesty, integrity, loyalty, respect for others, etc. But over the last couple of years it has become obvious that they expect that of others but do not adhere to those values themselves.

For 20 months I worked every Saturday and Sunday. When my 78 year old father's health suffered I asked for one day off for a few weeks. Any day, whichever worked best for Midway. "Gee, we'd like to but..." So I gave a little over 2 weeks notice. The next day my employee discount was taken from me. I continue to work the last 2 weeks and asked for 1/2 day off on my last day - declined.

If this sounds like a review from a disgruntled employee who does not perform I assure you it is not. My reviews have been stellar, including the last one done just a few weeks ago and was great. And I'm a helluva fun person to work with!

7. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Stocker in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Stocker in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the owners are great to work for and they really do care about their workers. It is a fast growing company and the dynamics are changing all the time.

Cons

Most of the time you are working behind, there are so many orders that it is hard to catch up. You are expected to work a lot of overtime even if you have personal stuff that you have to do.

Well structured environment and growing company.

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The IS department is full of great developers and admins. It's great place to learn and develop professionally, especially if you are looking to go into IT management.
    Benefits are unmatched in the area and there is a real value placed on work-life balance. Rarely did I work over 40 hours a week.
    The System Architect is looking at migrating to new technologies and platforms, which I think will pay off for the company and developers in a few years.

Cons

The company is so process oriented, at points it becomes more of a hinderance than a benefit.
    The president and certain VP's are sometimes so involved in company projects they begin to micro manage them.
    There really isn't any career advancement outside of management. It would be great if there were a technical expertise career path.

Stop micro-managing company projects and trust your lower level managers.

Web Developer

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good. Constant flow of work. Coworkers are respectful.

Cons

It is difficult if you do not fit into the company culture. Very low amount of time-off. Many benefits do not kick in until you've been there a year.

10. If you're a bigoted white man this is the place for you.

I worked at MidwayUSA full-time

Pros

Would only say pay, they do offer medical but it is pretty poor.

Cons

everything else
    If you are a woman with any sort of backbone this place is not for you. If you are a minority I seriously doubt they will make you an offer, and if they do you will never make upper management. Compulsory NRA membership.

Enforce anti harassment rules. When HR tells you upon hiring that you should understand it is a mans world, and therefore inappropriate misogynistic behavior is an accepted part of the environment- something is seriously wrong.

11. Great Introduction to how the Corporate World Operates

I have been working at MidwayUSA full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. Work/life balance (for most professional positions) is excellent. The people I work with are great. I attribute that to excellent interview and hiring processes. The company's culture is very family-oriented and flexible when needed. Overall, everyone's pretty friendly and willing to help you succeed.

Cons

The work is very process driven and mundane. Most positions do not entail much individual authority. The internal promotion process is inconsistent, which is frustrating. Due to the company's relatively flat structure, there's not a lot of room for advancement. The company's politics are very subtle, but they are there nonetheless. If you want to advance, you really have to play the game.

Great deals and incentives offered by vendors are often missed due to long, overly methodical decision making processes. That said, decentralize the decision making process. Trust your lower and middle management to make the right choices.

MidwayUSA Photos

The 4-H shooting program steering committee on a tour of MidwayUSA.
This is shipping, the end of the line on Nitro Express; a vast system of conveyors that helps manage merchandise from the receiving docks to the UPS and USPS trucks.
This is the John Bianchi Break Room