Midwest-CBK

Add Photos

Mary Propes

Great people, very creative, beautiful location in Cannon Falls, MN

Finance Manager (Former Employee) Cannon Falls, MN

ProsGreat people to work with - my colleagues and in my department. Everyone worked to make progress for the company, with no complaints. Environment allowed you to get to know your co-workers while working with them. Many opportunities to coach, mentor and train!

ConsFrequently worked 50+ hours per week. Presentations were monsters - "death by PowerPoint" lived here. Company merged with a sister division in 2009, and was spun-off by parent company in May, 2012.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the Seasons and Colonial Candle brands- might still be some leverage in those names.

Lack of Focus

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsMy Associates are really very nice people in general

ConsMy Regional manager does not support just beats on people

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more directly with the Field

Challenging beyond words - Sinking ship

Account Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company has name recognition in the industry and that helps open doors
    New ownership in 2012

ConsMidwest-CBK has been sold and merged so many times in the past 5 years that they have lost their identity and market share. Both divisions used to be the "go to" places for retailers to find unique quality merchandise for their stores. Both brands have lost their magic and customers are no longer willing to put up with all the quality issues and uninspiring collections.
    In the past 18 months more than 50% of the sales force has left. Many had been with the company for over 10 years.
    Mary Propes is no longer the owner as stated below. Howard Ganz purchased Midwest-CBK in Dec 2012.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnder the new ownership of Ganz, I know management is doing their best but I am beginning to believe the ship has sunk too deep to be salvaged.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company focused so much on following the rules and not on producing great work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Union City, TN

ProsI enjoyed the people that I directly worked with and the outside help.

ConsI felt as though all they cared about was following the rules. I followed the rules strictly and to the best of my ability. However, I was still often reprimanded. I felt as though I was being watched all of the time to see if I was doing something wrong. It was very sneaky and other employees had warned me of this. I was constantly paranoid the entire time that I worked there. They have no problem letting people go either.

CBK was an outstanding and respected employer until it was merged with sister company Midwest of Cannon Falls.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsAutonomy of professionals on the team, respectful relationship among co-workers at all levels, high level of customer satisfaction, personal on-the-job satisfaction, strongly fostered atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration, very high level of respect for the company from the customer community and from suppliers - known for high integrity, creativity, fairness.

ConsPost-merger requirement to abandon business model and adopt the business model of sister company which was incompatible with remaining successful. Poor relationship between corporate staffs of the two companies. Disrespect and disregard shown to CBK staff by Midwest management. Dishonesty in communication from Midwest to CBK.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late as the damage was done and the merged companies have now been sold. A venerable company is now in the hands of a company with apparently little to no interest in moving forward with this business. At least they have acquired a good sales force which hopefully they will treat with the respect they deserve.

The best company I have ever worked for. Their training is top notch and their product is the best.

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Union City, TN

ProsTraining, Product, Mamagement, Pay/Benefits, Opportunities, Brand Recognition, Wonderful People To Work For...I was always eager to go to work every day. It was a fun job and a great way to make a living. I was selling products that I would buy for myself in my own home to decorate with. You are a lucky person if they choose you to work for them!

ConsMy territory was very large but that comes with all sales jobs; a lot of driving. Most days I was 100 miles away from home at the end of the day so I still had to drive home and then do my paper work and plan for the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are a great group of people. But sometimes you should have individual opinions and not always play "follow the leader".

Lack of direction and poor communication

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood overall sales training program

ConsPoor management, no guidance and poor pay

Lousy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood discounts on cheap products.

ConsRidiculous structure for account reps; no opportunity to earn decent $

Worked for Midwest-CBK? Contribute to the Community!