Midwest-CBK Reviews

Great people, very creative, beautiful location in Cannon Falls, MN

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Cannon Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Cannon Falls, MN

I worked at Midwest-CBK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with - my colleagues and in my department. Everyone worked to make progress for the company, with no complaints. Environment allowed you to get to know your co-workers while working with them. Many opportunities to coach, mentor and train!

Cons

Frequently worked 50+ hours per week. Presentations were monsters - "death by PowerPoint" lived here. Company merged with a sister division in 2009, and was spun-off by parent company in May, 2012.

Good luck with the Seasons and Colonial Candle brands- might still be some leverage in those names.

Lack of Focus

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Midwest-CBK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My Associates are really very nice people in general

Cons

My Regional manager does not support just beats on people

Talk more directly with the Field

Challenging beyond words - Sinking ship

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Midwest-CBK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has name recognition in the industry and that helps open doors
    New ownership in 2012

Cons

Midwest-CBK has been sold and merged so many times in the past 5 years that they have lost their identity and market share. Both divisions used to be the "go to" places for retailers to find unique quality merchandise for their stores. Both brands have lost their magic and customers are no longer willing to put up with all the quality issues and uninspiring collections.
    In the past 18 months more than 50% of the sales force has left. Many had been with the company for over 10 years.
    Mary Propes is no longer the owner as stated below. Howard Ganz purchased Midwest-CBK in Dec 2012.

Under the new ownership of Ganz, I know management is doing their best but I am beginning to believe the ship has sunk too deep to be salvaged.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company focused so much on following the rules and not on producing great work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Union City, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, TN

I worked at Midwest-CBK full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people that I directly worked with and the outside help.

Cons

I felt as though all they cared about was following the rules. I followed the rules strictly and to the best of my ability. However, I was still often reprimanded. I felt as though I was being watched all of the time to see if I was doing something wrong. It was very sneaky and other employees had warned me of this. I was constantly paranoid the entire time that I worked there. They have no problem letting people go either.

CBK was an outstanding and respected employer until it was merged with sister company Midwest of Cannon Falls.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Midwest-CBK

Pros

Autonomy of professionals on the team, respectful relationship among co-workers at all levels, high level of customer satisfaction, personal on-the-job satisfaction, strongly fostered atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration, very high level of respect for the company from the customer community and from suppliers - known for high integrity, creativity, fairness.

Cons

Post-merger requirement to abandon business model and adopt the business model of sister company which was incompatible with remaining successful. Poor relationship between corporate staffs of the two companies. Disrespect and disregard shown to CBK staff by Midwest management. Dishonesty in communication from Midwest to CBK.

Too late as the damage was done and the merged companies have now been sold. A venerable company is now in the hands of a company with apparently little to no interest in moving forward with this business. At least they have acquired a good sales force which hopefully they will treat with the respect they deserve.

The best company I have ever worked for. Their training is top notch and their product is the best.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Union City, TN
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Union City, TN

I worked at Midwest-CBK

Pros

Training, Product, Mamagement, Pay/Benefits, Opportunities, Brand Recognition, Wonderful People To Work For...I was always eager to go to work every day. It was a fun job and a great way to make a living. I was selling products that I would buy for myself in my own home to decorate with. You are a lucky person if they choose you to work for them!

Cons

My territory was very large but that comes with all sales jobs; a lot of driving. Most days I was 100 miles away from home at the end of the day so I still had to drive home and then do my paper work and plan for the next day.

You are a great group of people. But sometimes you should have individual opinions and not always play "follow the leader".

Lack of direction and poor communication

I worked at Midwest-CBK

Pros

Good overall sales training program

Cons

Poor management, no guidance and poor pay

Lousy.

I worked at Midwest-CBK

Pros

Good discounts on cheap products.

Cons

Ridiculous structure for account reps; no opportunity to earn decent $

Worked for Midwest-CBK? Contribute to the Community!