Midwest Cellular Reviews

CEO

1. Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Midwest is a small family owned company. You're not just a number like you are with large corporations. You get to know upper management and the owners on a personal level. You can make as much money as you would like as you are in complete control of your sales.

Cons

The training structure isn't great. But, you learn in the moment with real customers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales reps and managers more openly. Then take that advice an act upon it

2. Not Worth it if Your Store Is Low Volume/Low Customers

Current Employee - Full Time Sales in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, prizes through the company and other vendors who are partnered with them.

Cons

One of the lowest paying cell phone companies, my store has low volume, constant restructures to commission.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring your commission structure. It's changed 5 or 6 times since I started working there two years ago and it keeps getting worse.

Should be called Micromanaged Cellular

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first, the job was great. Very awesome coworkers. Not many pros, even the benefits sucked.

Cons

Everything but the people. No one who works here can actually say they are happy with going in to work. The pay plans are never constant, they are always being cut. Within a very short period of less than three years the company underwent 3 different commission structures! They are always adding new variables in to the comp plans and are always looking for ways they can steal from their employees' hard earned money. Management is okay up until you get to the district managers. Hard work is never appreciated by them, not once did i get just a congrats for doing a good job, the congratulation handshake was always followed up by a what are you gonna get out next. Instead of listening and voicing the employees, employees get shut down every time they bring up an idea or express what they dont feel comfortable with. Sales directors rule with an iron fist. Employees are also trained to sell as bundles by upper management, which means screwing everyone you can by giving a high cost and adding in as much stuff as you can. They also encourage locking in, which is setting up pretty much a tentative uverse account while the customer is under the impression of being on a "reserved" promotion... also you are micromanaged in nearly every category there is. There is also no respect given for your personal time, try asking them to schedule you the two days that you need off. Good luck because your personal life isnt convenient enough for them. Try calling in sick, you're better off lugging your oxygen tank from your death bed to work cause guess what? It's not happening! Do not work here, they are unethical, unreasonable,has too much politics and do not care about anything but numbers, money, and looking good to higher ups. There is a reason employees are dropping left and right midwest.

Advice to Management

You guys need some serious morality training. I would suggest going to church.

5. A great place to advance your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Midwest Cellular (More than a year)

Pros

You are in control of the money you want to make. The better salesperson or manager you are, the more money you can male.

Cons

Need to be able to adapt to new goals and directions. Cellular is an ever changing industry.

6. I love my coworkers and learning new phones.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brooklyn Center, MN

I have been working at Midwest Cellular

Pros

Discounts, bonuses, and friendly people to work with. I love seeing the new phones that's coming out and selling them and also helping the customer.

Cons

awful pay structure, management is always strict about some goals that's hard to reach.

Advice to Management

Pay us more for what we do. Otherwise I love the job!

7. great company

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time

Pros

I enjoy working here. At the store we are like a family. You have to be able to do team work, so if your not good at that I don't recommend it. They work with your schedule!

Cons

Being that we are not a corporate store it sometimes makes it hard. People think of authorized retailer means that can't do everything.

Advice to Management

Make sure all say the same thing. When different managers say different things it makes it harder on is. Keep it up. You all are becoming bigger.

8. Unfair treatment

I worked at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was awesome. You get vacation time and great benefits. Somewhat willing to work with your schedule. Nothing else I can think of.

Cons

If higher ups felt you weren't doing well you would attend boot camps. Even if it was your day off you were expected to be there.

Advice to Management

Listen to the sales reps and stop worrying so much about wtr. If you back your employees it will be a happier place for all.

It's a job

Former Employee - Full Time Sales in Savage, MN
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales in Savage, MN

I worked at Midwest Cellular (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked there for quite a while in multiple stores and overall was an ok experience. Most of the people I worked with were great and the benefits were nice.

Cons

Confusing and overly complicated comp structure. There were too many variables involved to be able to keep track of what to expect on your paycheck. If they were to make a mistake (which they admitted to quite often), it was hard to know sometimes. Not consistent with how a lot of people are treated and/or punished for mistakes. Write ups often mean nothing unless they're trying to get rid of you. Your schedule can change on a whim and often are not notified (I couldn't even tell you how many times this happened that I saw, way too much) but can still get in trouble for it. Really disorganized and upper management just doesn't seem to care about a lot of things that they should. Your focus areas often change for what they expect but aren't told until it's a really big deal and have a lot of catching up to do (and it will often affect your paycheck).

Advice to Management

Spend some actual time on the sales floor trying to sell products before you give anyone advice on how to sell things or say how easy it is. Don't use fear management, it makes people miserable.

Good College Part-Time Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Midwest Cellular part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager was really flexible with scheduling work to fit my college schedule. The pay is good, well for a current college student working only part-time anyways. The store team is really awesome!

Cons

Upper Management sets expectations too high for some stores. Schedule is flexible but as college got busier, the flexibility stayed the same. Job training and meeting expectations really distracted me from college. Some days I felt like quitting on the spot, just too much pressure!

Advice to Management

Understand that us sales associates also have personal lives. Work and Life shouldn't be mixed... yet it is.

LIFE AT MIDWEST

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pontiac, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pontiac, IL

I worked at Midwest Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Midwest pays generous commissions as well as decent benefits. They are a fast growing company that give their employees many opportunities to advance in their careers.

Cons

Midwest Cellular also has a few drawbacks. The employees are allowed to be rude to customers and actually engage in arguments over anything. Co workers are out for themselves and mean at times. Unprofessional organization but if money is all that matters...this jobs for you.

Advice to Management

Please be sure all of your employees are being trained and not just some. Try to hire more professional managers and work hard to ensure that racism is not part of the learning model at Midwest.

RSS Feed </> Embed