Midwest Cellular

Midwest Cellular Reviews

Updated May 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Potential to make a lot of money

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsMWC has a great commission structure and good trainings. The company does teach you how to sell and does not cut your short on hours.

ConsYou get written up for every little thing and they micromanage you like crazy. There are cameras in every store and if they see something they don't like, for example, the store may be empty but if they see reps talking in groups more than two or three, they will call the store to let you know they are watching

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage so much. Trust that your employees will work to your potential and the reps wouldn't feel so much like lab rats. Other than that, business structure is great.

Bunch of micromanagement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe commission structure is the only thing good.

ConsEverrything. They micro manage every damn thing you do. They treat you like a number rather than a person. You can't even have a beard if you're a man. I was let go for nothing. The district managers treat you unfairly. The owners of the company don't even know anything about a phone. They consistently violate AT&T protocol in order to make money for their company. The only cool person who I ever worked with was the RAE. everything about this company is a lie. They use their cameras to check on you rather than text provides security. They want to make sure that they can control you to make them money. There is little to no employee trust and I'd be damned to say if they even cared about you. You can't even use Google on a laptop. this company is garbage and they don't deserve to have the ability to sell at T products. At T is a crappy company anyway. My advice don't ever work here!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like grunts and get some ethics!

Fantasic

ProsThe money is good
    The DM's are great to work with

ConsThey give you Unrealistic deadlines
    They try to lead by fear

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Micromange Galore

Hastings, MN

ProsOk pay for a younger person

ConsThe list goes on but mostly just the way people are treated and gross micromangment of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out, quit micromanaging and trust your people a little more

A company that invests in the employee

Bloomington, IL

ProsSales and customer service training, career development, ability to move up

ConsHours are retail. Sometimes have to deal with hostile customers

loved my coworkers

Urbana, IL

Proscoworkers and meeting with ppl were the best part of the job, customers can be annoying

Conssaturday morning meetings need to cease. they are pointless.

Advice to Senior Managementsome of your managers are ridiculous

A Lesson in Business Ethics (or lack thereof.....)

(Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed the management experience I received. There were some fun times around there that mostly came from those that worked directly with me.

Cons(I am only going to list the cons that were important to me since the list is too long otherwise. Also, when I speak of upper management, I am not talking about all but I am talking about most.)

MWC is a company that will talk in great lengths about raising employee morale but their actions will never lead to high employee morale. For example, the excessive camera checks. Every store has cameras but not one is recording. They are not used for security. They are only used to watch employees which someone is almost always watching. (DMs and higher are recommended/required to have an App on their phone so they can frequently "check in" on their stores.) UM (above a DM) will take screen shots and send it either to the store or the DM and say write a corrective. Sometimes they will conveniently have the corrective all filled out with the screen shot they send. One particular member of management said often "There doesn't need to be a conversation, just sign the corrective." This negates the reason for completing a form that is called a "corrective". The UM does not use it to correct instead they use it to either scare or terminate an employee. The people writing the corrective have no training or education in HR so many of the correctives will not hold up in court if they had to, which is ok since the company is unable to keep a fully educated Human Resource Manager. So they will continue to be obligated to promote BO people and call them "HR" for the sake of legally needing an HR Manager.

I have also witnessed UM joking about "at willing" employees. They say they are think-skinned but really they are just callous individuals. It's probably the reason that the commission structure and pay scale are always changing. The company is paying so much money to employees that no longer work there that they don't have enough left for those who still do work there. (However, if you would like unemployment, you are almost guaranteed to get it.)

Lastly, you need to be able to blindly follow the direction of UM for reasons no other than "this is the way it's always been" otherwise you will want to find another job or know that they will "promote you to customer" (another fun termination joke they make).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo as you say. Don't tell the staff one thing and then do something else. Stop wasting time and money on SM and DM trainings if the direction of the company is not going to follow what was just trained on. Create a human resources department. The company is too large now to have one HR person in charge of everything, especially someone who does not have an employment law background (evidently it can be a very costly mistake).

Ok place to work

Prosthe team is great pay is ok if your in management

Consno training on how to manage and all you need to know how to become a manager is lie to the customer and make sales thats how i also seening reps do it by not following company rules. and if that happens the other reps get stuck with helping the mad customers that were helped by that one rep with out commisions and can last up to a hour of your time fixing a problem that should of been done right the first time around and they play you against other employees not cool and if you become a fav your in for life.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide classes to management to help take the load off upper management and I have seening the spiffs that store managers and upper management make i think they should give a little back to the reps since they are the ones taking all of the

Worst job I have ever had!!!

Chicago, IL

ProsMoney, benefits, being able to quite any time.

ConsWhere to start, the micromanagement is ridiculous. They will take a picture of a sign that is 1cm off what the planogram says and email that picture to you to fix. The pay is good but they are currently under investigation for TCF (time clock fraud) They will not pay you overtime if you go over hours. Even if your great at sales you have to go by their sales process or hit the highway. All the reviews are true. I have never worked for such a Shitty company. Also you have the Saturday meetings that start at 730 and they talk about the benefits of memory cards, stuff you already know from 6 years ago. If you are 3 mins late you may get fired so dont ever be late. You are not allowed to have your cell phones out, they must stay in your car or jacket. They will put you on action plans all the time. If the action plan is accs and you havent sold enough acc then if some one comes in and wants a phone you can't ring it in your name. You do the work and put it in someone else's name. Honestly your better of working at McDonald's.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the Saturday meetings, stop micromanaging like crazy, treat your employees with some respect.

A waste of time!

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Springfield, IL

ProsThe money is good, and it had good benefits. If your good at selling and sell the way they tell you to, then you have an opportunity to move up.

ConsThe company is now ran by people who only have high school diploma's and an associates at best. They micromanage from the top down. The owner of the company moved away so they know very little on what goes on. Midwest will write you up, even fire you if you are 2 min late. If you are a guy who didn't shave that morning you will get sent home etc. They expect a lot more than just selling and hitting your goal. Btw, Ladies no extreme looks!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some formal management classes. Get rid of your director positions they are kinda stupid. District Manager should report to the Vice President of Sales and that's it! Your store manager's and sales associates are really makes the company stay afloat.

Worked for Midwest Cellular? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Midwest Cellular reviews and ratings. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Midwest Cellular employees.