Midwest Employers Casualty Company

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Timothy J. Galvin

1. Management needs better industry knowledge.

Former Employee - Reinsurance
    Former Employee - Reinsurance

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company

Pros

Good people, pay is decent and benefits are OK.

Cons

Leadership does not have good business saavy.

Advice to Management

Get more in touch with the industry

2. Warning to IT Prospective Employees

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company (More than a year)

Pros

Employees were a great bunch. Those remaining have been there a really long time and therefore there is almost a family atmosphere.

Cons

IT Management's primary concern and focus is on the bottom line. Looking below them to those they supervise it means salaries, command and control. Looking above it means protecting themselves. It is not on people. It is not on career development. They cannot do innovation, they cannot do change, they cannot do transformation. These disciplines and ideas require risk and imagination not entrenchment and status quo. IT Management is devoid of the qualities necessary to today's IT. They lip service change and transformation. Be very wary. Ask about IT history.

Advice to Management

Has IT moved forward of backward in the last 5 years? Is IT a help or a hindrance to the business? How prevalent is the shadow IT of the Actuary and Claims department? There is a reason why the business is NOT a partner with IT. IT has become a drag on the speed of business.

3. Director

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart group of talented people

Cons

Weak Executive Leadership - Not accountable for results

5. Great benefits & compressed work hours. Lousy pay and unqualified managers.

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

Great benefits, compressed work hours and employees who care about each other. Company goes out of their way to arrange fun events.

Cons

Salaries are very uneven and some people are very over paid and others very under paid. Raises are only 1 or 2%. Training is terrible. Claims department changes policies to much. Promoting people to manager positions who are not qualified.

Advice to Management

Promote only employees to manager positions that have the qualifications. Hold managers responsible for their mistakes.

Great company--I feel fortunate to have landed a job here.

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, casual culture, excellent pay, great benefits (huge annual profit sharing contribution, generous tuition reimbursement), every employee in the company eligible for annual bonus, free garage parking (it'd cost us $80+ per month for garage parking downtown or in Clayton), lots of employee appreciation initiatives (MECC actually gives every employee a gift on his/her birthday--I couldn't believe it!) closing for a half day for an annual off-site appreciation day event and for the year-end holiday party, transparency with financials, financially stable company, 37.5-hour workweek with little overtime requirements, great work/life balance, flex time, compressed workweek in the summer months, jeans day every Friday, ethical leadership. New president contributing to growth of business.

Cons

A lot of the employees don't appreciate what a great company this is. The grass is not greener on the other side--I've been there. Yes, there are limited growth opportunities because the size of the company does not lend itself to a lot of promotional jobs. However, there are a lot of "lifers" here, so it must not be so bad. The griping gets old--they don't realize how good they've got it.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote the positives about the company better.

7. Great employees

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation, great employees, good work life balance and above average PTO options.

Cons

Senior management stuck in a rut. Over driven with meetings that never accomplish anything. Excessive administrative tasks.

Advice to Management

Don't preach one thing and do another.

Formerly great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

It was a great place when I started there (I was there more than 5 years). Great culture, reasonable expectations, nice bonus.

Cons

Turned into an extremely lousy place to work. Several downsizing activities (I only survived the first few). The downsizing that took me out was obviously aimed at reducing employee salaries.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap. If you want truly talented staff, you have to pay for them.

9. Worst management that I have ever encountered.

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

MECC now has a new leader, not sure if things will improve, but I feel that is the only pro that I can share.

Cons

MECC uses their Non compete agreement to handcuff employees, MECC will enforce the non compete no matter what the circumstances of your termination/separation. Do not sign this agreement.

Advice to Management

Set your employees free from the non compete agreement and sweep the remaining long term executives out the door as change is good.

Greet culture

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company provides great work and life balance.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in certain areas.

11. Informal easy job

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart staff, good unit level managers, warm and welcoming environment, most if the time good life work balance, casual Fridays, summer compressed schedule. Leadership transparency.

Cons

Micro management, in formal policy and procedures causes some unorganized situations. Luck of professional staff, some micro management, not much career growth or plans.

Advice to Management

Set up plans for future projects and employees career

RSS Feed </> Embed