Midwest Employers Casualty Company

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Timothy J. Galvin

Great company--I feel fortunate to have landed a job here.

ProsNice people, casual culture, excellent pay, great benefits (huge annual profit sharing contribution, generous tuition reimbursement), every employee in the company eligible for annual bonus, free garage parking (it'd cost us $80+ per month for garage parking downtown or in Clayton), lots of employee appreciation initiatives (MECC actually gives every employee a gift on his/her birthday--I couldn't believe it!) closing for a half day for an annual off-site appreciation day event and for the year-end holiday party, transparency with financials, financially stable company, 37.5-hour workweek with little overtime requirements, great work/life balance, flex time, compressed workweek in the summer months, jeans day every Friday, ethical leadership. New president contributing to growth of business.

ConsA lot of the employees don't appreciate what a great company this is. The grass is not greener on the other side--I've been there. Yes, there are limited growth opportunities because the size of the company does not lend itself to a lot of promotional jobs. However, there are a lot of "lifers" here, so it must not be so bad. The griping gets old--they don't realize how good they've got it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to promote the positives about the company better.

Great employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation, great employees, good work life balance and above average PTO options.

ConsSenior management stuck in a rut. Over driven with meetings that never accomplish anything. Excessive administrative tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't preach one thing and do another.

Formerly great company to work for

Saint Louis, MO

ProsIt was a great place when I started there (I was there more than 5 years). Great culture, reasonable expectations, nice bonus.

ConsTurned into an extremely lousy place to work. Several downsizing activities (I only survived the first few). The downsizing that took me out was obviously aimed at reducing employee salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap. If you want truly talented staff, you have to pay for them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst management that I have ever encountered.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMECC now has a new leader, not sure if things will improve, but I feel that is the only pro that I can share.

ConsMECC uses their Non compete agreement to handcuff employees, MECC will enforce the non compete no matter what the circumstances of your termination/separation. Do not sign this agreement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet your employees free from the non compete agreement and sweep the remaining long term executives out the door as change is good.

Greet culture

ProsThis company provides great work and life balance.

ConsLimited growth opportunities in certain areas.

Informal easy job

Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsSmart staff, good unit level managers, warm and welcoming environment, most if the time good life work balance, casual Fridays, summer compressed schedule. Leadership transparency.

ConsMicro management, in formal policy and procedures causes some unorganized situations. Luck of professional staff, some micro management, not much career growth or plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up plans for future projects and employees career

Went from the best company I ever worked for to the worst in just a few years.

Chesterfield, MO

ProsThe quality of the non-management employees is top-notch, and working relationships among us were always congenial and productive. Good benefits.

ConsTop management has gotten very poor in recent years. MECC has a bad habit of usually hiring managers from outside instead of promoting from within. This is hurts morale. An especially harmful case occurred when a VP of I.T. was hired from outside who brought in his own two directors. Two good long-term employees were laid off to make room for the incoming directors and all existing middle managers were demoted. This, along with a new system of measuring performance accompanied by constant threats of firings, has created a climate of suspicion and fear.

Another serious con is the despicable system MECC has of laying off or firing employees. It is unannounced, abrupt and very offensive. The process turns even faithful, loyal employees into enemies when they leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen this company has gone from best to worst for me in just a few years, something has changed for the worse in top management. I would advise management to give some serious attention to the cons I have mentioned along with those of other employees.

Good People, Poor Leadership

Attorney (Former Employee)
    Chesterfield, MO

ProsGenerally well-respected company because of relationships established by Account Managers, Underwriters, and Claims personnel. When given latitude to do things "the right way", much good can be accomplished.

ConsToo much micro-management. Job description and expectations constantly changed without consulting or notifying me. Management too reactionary and emotional. No long-term plan.

claims is a mess and shows no sign of improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosused to be benefits, but medical not as good next year

Consmanagers afraid to speak up, don't have the experience to handle the jobs they are given, no training, no HR department

Advice to Senior Managementleave your office and see what's going on. TThe company is not that big that you should never see your employees. Get rid of the regional claim managers. They are useless and afraid to make decisions.

Changing from a great place to work to a so-so place to work.

(Former Employee)
    Chesterfield, MO

ProsCompressed work week between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The people - some of the best people I have worked with. Most (non-management) are supportive of one another and willing to do what it takes to get the job done.

ConsChanged from of culture of cooperation and trust to one of blame and fear. Changed from a place of working together to correcting mistakes and move on, to a place of blaming others when something goes wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your employees again and realize that motivation through fear actually hurts motivation and overall morale.

Worked for Midwest Employers Casualty Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Midwest Employers Casualty Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Midwest Employers Casualty Company CEO Timothy J. Galvin . All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Midwest Employers Casualty Company employees.