Midwest Employers Casualty Company

www.mwecc.com

Midwest Employers Casualty Company Reviews

2.6

Timothy J. Galvin

Great benefits & compressed work hours. Lousy pay and unqualified managers.

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

Great benefits, compressed work hours and employees who care about each other. Company goes out of their way to arrange fun events.

Cons

Salaries are very uneven and some people are very over paid and others very under paid. Raises are only 1 or 2%. Training is terrible. Claims department changes policies to much.
    Promoting people to manager positions who are not qualified.

Promote only employees to manager positions that have the qualifications. Hold managers responsible for their mistakes.

Great company--I feel fortunate to have landed a job here.

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, casual culture, excellent pay, great benefits (huge annual profit sharing contribution, generous tuition reimbursement), every employee in the company eligible for annual bonus, free garage parking (it'd cost us $80+ per month for garage parking downtown or in Clayton), lots of employee appreciation initiatives (MECC actually gives every employee a gift on his/her birthday--I couldn't believe it!) closing for a half day for an annual off-site appreciation day event and for the year-end holiday party, transparency with financials, financially stable company, 37.5-hour workweek with little overtime requirements, great work/life balance, flex time, compressed workweek in the summer months, jeans day every Friday, ethical leadership. New president contributing to growth of business.

Cons

A lot of the employees don't appreciate what a great company this is. The grass is not greener on the other side--I've been there. Yes, there are limited growth opportunities because the size of the company does not lend itself to a lot of promotional jobs. However, there are a lot of "lifers" here, so it must not be so bad. The griping gets old--they don't realize how good they've got it.

Find a way to promote the positives about the company better.

Formerly great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

It was a great place when I started there (I was there more than 5 years). Great culture, reasonable expectations, nice bonus.

Cons

Turned into an extremely lousy place to work. Several downsizing activities (I only survived the first few). The downsizing that took me out was obviously aimed at reducing employee salaries.

Stop being so cheap. If you want truly talented staff, you have to pay for them.

Great employees

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation, great employees, good work life balance and above average PTO options.

Cons

Senior management stuck in a rut. Over driven with meetings that never accomplish anything. Excessive administrative tasks.

Don't preach one thing and do another.

Worst management that I have ever encountered.

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

MECC now has a new leader, not sure if things will improve, but I feel that is the only pro that I can share.

Cons

MECC uses their Non compete agreement to handcuff employees, MECC will enforce the non compete no matter what the circumstances of your termination/separation. Do not sign this agreement.

Set your employees free from the non compete agreement and sweep the remaining long term executives out the door as change is good.

Greet culture

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company provides great work and life balance.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in certain areas.

Informal easy job

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart staff, good unit level managers, warm and welcoming environment, most if the time good life work balance, casual Fridays, summer compressed schedule. Leadership transparency.

Cons

Micro management, in formal policy and procedures causes some unorganized situations. Luck of professional staff, some micro management, not much career growth or plans.

Set up plans for future projects and employees career

Went from the best company I ever worked for to the worst in just a few years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The quality of the non-management employees is top-notch, and working relationships among us were always congenial and productive. Good benefits.

Cons

Top management has gotten very poor in recent years. MECC has a bad habit of usually hiring managers from outside instead of promoting from within. This is hurts morale. An especially harmful case occurred when a VP of I.T. was hired from outside who brought in his own two directors. Two good long-term employees were laid off to make room for the incoming directors and all existing middle managers were demoted. This, along with a new system of measuring performance accompanied by constant threats of firings, has created a climate of suspicion and fear.

Another serious con is the despicable system MECC has of laying off or firing employees. It is unannounced, abrupt and very offensive. The process turns even faithful, loyal employees into enemies when they leave.

When this company has gone from best to worst for me in just a few years, something has changed for the worse in top management. I would advise management to give some serious attention to the cons I have mentioned along with those of other employees.

Good People, Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Attorney in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Attorney in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

Generally well-respected company because of relationships established by Account Managers, Underwriters, and Claims personnel. When given latitude to do things "the right way", much good can be accomplished.

Cons

Too much micro-management. Job description and expectations constantly changed without consulting or notifying me. Management too reactionary and emotional. No long-term plan.

claims is a mess and shows no sign of improvement

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

used to be benefits, but medical not as good next year

Cons

managers afraid to speak up, don't have the experience to handle the jobs they are given, no training, no HR department

leave your office and see what's going on. TThe company is not that big that you should never see your employees. Get rid of the regional claim managers. They are useless and afraid to make decisions.