Midwest Research Institute

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael F. Helmstetter

Great place to work, wish my contract was longer

Associate Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsMRI is known in Kansas City as one of the best places to work at. The work/life balance couldn't be better. They really take care of their people. If you have the science background they're looking for then you will really be happy here. I loved working with really smart people that don't look down on anyone.

ConsMost jobs at MRI seem to require a strong science background and likely having an advanced degree unless you're talking HR or accounting. Some of the offices and labs have not been renovated since the 40's but I think they are slowly working to upgrade the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't think of much although I was only there for a short while.

No where to go

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice people to work with

ConsNo room for growth or professional development.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees

They try, but not hard enough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGood group of people, hardworking and loyal

ConsKeep taking away benefits, lots of stress over financial situation, back stabbing employees, and managers that are bullies. Several years ago, this was not the case, it has just been that way the past few years. They do not promote from within, even though they say they will. In addition, senior management does not listen to the complaints of the staff, even though they say they listen. There is no action to remove terrible management. Senior management turns a blind eye. It is very sad. With this continued negative work environment, the company will not survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, and support them when they file complaints about bullies in the company. Do your best to retain your staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An intense, informative, unique experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood co-workers who were very helpful. There were core people where dependable and honorable, and the ability to work independently and also in a team. Many new skills acquired quickly, and a very relaxed and casual workplace.

ConsBad co-workers who were protected by management. Top-heavy bureaucracy that ignored the pleas and advice of lower, technical staff and continued a run of bad financial policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the good co-workers and stop defending the bad co-workers.

Good experience but could be better.

Associate Scientist (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsInteresting work. Good benefits. Good retirement package.

ConsSalary could be better. Very conservative politically. Could have better management.

Benefits decent, but management could be better.

Associate Chemist (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsPretty good benefits: Health, vision, and dental; 401K; insurance; company credit plan; suitable PTO and sick leave. Most of the managers are willing to work with you on flexible schedules and it's usually pretty easy to get time off at the last minute. Get the whole week between Christmas and New Years off because the institute is closed.

ConsThe management isn't always in touch with the low men on the totum pole. Most of the research groups are very clicky and there is a big problem with gossip. On more than one occasion I was in a group that resorted to tattle telling to the boss to get someone in trouble and the group leaders didn't take the time to find out what was going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee downsides

My MRI

ProsGreat benefits, flexible hours. Loved the fact that they have different shifts and you are able to go on different projects if needed.

Consshifts have the ability to over lap. There are no set hours which can be a good or bad thing. Lab is 24 hrs, which means it is open all HOLIDAYS.

Advice to Senior ManagementI honestly think Midwest Research Institute is going in the right direction. To truly operate at full steam they definitely need more workers.

Worked for Midwest Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!