Midwest Veterinary Supply

Updated Mar 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Guy G. Flickinger

Its a good place for a first job.

Norristown, PA

I have been working at Midwest Veterinary Supply full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the people here are the nicest people i've met. I have gained a lot of experience in many areas of warehouse duties and functions. It is family owned and in general the comany as a whole is good to their employees. The branch has made quite a few changes in the last year and it seems to be moving forward fairly well.

ConsRules constantly are changing. You are a slave to the time card. Managament in very wishy washy and entirely too inconsistant for its own good. There is tension between all of management. People are taken advantage of based on their skills, and start times are changed constantly. It becomes difficult for someone working full time to make their 8 hours a day and their 40 hours a week. They arent really interested in hearing opinions and advice from employees, as often as they ask for them. There doesnt seem to be many career opportunities for employees, apart from maybe a lateral move here and there but really nothing major.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your goals and work together as a team to accomplish them. Dont take advantage of your employees. If someone is doing a good job, let them know.

midwest

I have been working at Midwest Veterinary Supply full-time

ProsFamily owned culture, You always feel like you can approach Guy Flickenger at anytime and that he is open to the opinions of his employees.

ConsSever disconnect between corporate and the field. the market is changing and unfortunately corporate insist on remaining stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your reps, all of them, not just those who are telling you what you want to hear. Be more open to change. promptly answer the concerns from the field, don't let you reps feel like they are alone out there and worse of all competing against Midwest as well as the other guys.

Do Not Work Here!

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Valley Forge, PA

I worked at Midwest Veterinary Supply

ProsIf you're desperate for a job this is the place for you.

ConsWow. Where to begin. This 'company' treats employees like dirt. I have never worked for a company that was so vicious about taking time off. Every year right before Christmas, the entire company does inventory and you are forced to spend the Friday before the Holiday in the warehouse counting...you will be fired if you do not participate
I worked with a woman who's fiancee had to have an emergency appendectomy and she wasn't allowed to leave work or else she would be fired. I remember the transit system went on strike and one employee was unable to get to work on time for a couple of days...fired.
They hired a cluster of ISR's from a competing company and gave them five weeks vacation, and twice as much money as the ISR's already on staff...the vacation time for the original ISR's was 3 days unpaid PTO. After six months you received three days of paid leave.
The management in this company is horrible. The ISM for the branch I worked in literally came into work an hour later than everyone, left an hour early, brought her child into work every day and had the receptionist baby sit...meanwhile no one else was allowed to leave work for any reason.
I had a medical emergency at work and was told if I left I would not have a job to come back too.
Easily the WORST company I have every worked for.
I honestly thought organizations like this were illegal.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employee's like they're human beings. Respect the fact that your employees have lives outside of work. Teach your management to not take advantage of the system while holding others to higher standards.
Have Guy Flickinger step down.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a small company with some people working hard. They have an insane time-clock policy.

I have been working at Midwest Veterinary Supply

ProsThere are some fun people that know what they are doing. In general people are trying their best to get the job done and to do it well. There are always the people that don't but those are a minority here.

ConsThe time-clock! They require that office staff that are hourly use a time-clock. This would be fine to simply track hours but there is zero flexibility in the policy. If you clock in at 8:02 you are late. You can clock in no earlier than 7:53 but don't bother because you aren't paid until 8 even if you would like to. This applies to the end of the day as well. It's ridiculous to equate punching a clock at a specific time schedule to success. Track peoples hours but allow them to work when they get there and not make them waste time waiting for 8. This isn't an assembly line!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not most management, the policies are HR driven. They need to take some modern day HR courses and learn that their role should be about supporting and developing staff and not being a hall monitor.

Worked for Midwest Veterinary Supply? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Midwest Veterinary Supply reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Midwest Veterinary Supply CEO Guy G. Flickinger . All reviews posted anonymously by Midwest Veterinary Supply employees.