Midwestern State

Updated February 12, 2015
Updated February 12, 2015
3.5

Jesse W. Rogers

It is a good place to work.

Former Employee - Professor in Wichita Falls, TX
    Former Employee - Professor in Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at Midwestern State full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and competent.

Cons

There are some problems in the upper administration.

Excellent place to work. Unbeatable work/life balance.

Former Employee - Instructor in Wichita Falls, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at Midwestern State full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I cannot speak for all departments, but everyone in my department was great to work with. Very easy going group of people. Very casual environment. No micro-managing as long as you do your job. The pay is great when you consider how few hours you actually work. You will probably not find a better work/life balance. Benefits are on par with most large employers.

Cons

The pay is low for the education required for the job. But then again, the hours worked are fairly low also. Although medical insurance for the employee is free, adding family members is very expensive.

Liberal arts college with low pay and mediocre benifits.

I worked at Midwestern State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent time off. Most employees are off when the college is closed.

Cons

Management is a good ole boys club.

Great

Current Employee - Tutor in Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Tutor in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Midwestern State part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work hours are flexible. Tutoring i your department is help and reinforces what you know.

Cons

The It department needs to work better. Sometime there are lots issues with the computers in the labs and students are unable to complete their work

Outstanding place to work with college students and help mold them for life after college.

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Wichita Falls, TX
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at Midwestern State full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Faculty/Staff. The university offers a wide range of degrees and support services for college students.

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder there.

A place to start a career but not necessarily to end a career

Current Employee - Librarian in Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Librarian in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Midwestern State full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some truly outstanding faculty who individually really do care about the success and progress of their students and who are willing to try different means to reach those students.

Cons

UnWillingness to view libraries/librarians as real partners in student academic success. Lack of awareness or indifference to what staff librarians are experiencing at this university.

Get out of your buildings and actually talk to people who have the most contact with students --- by the way they aren't always faculty.

Good university, no way to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Midwestern State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, around campus, will make you feel like family. You get state benefits that are great.

Cons

Upper management will always get salary increases ad leave to play golf 3 out of 5 days a week. In order to get a salary increase you need to learn to play golf with them and kiss a lot of b**t. You work more than you are getting pay for. Dont expect to get a promoted to a better position in this university. Someone has to retire, die or leave in order to compete for a position. Few offices will actually value your work.
    Pay is very low and not even a master degree will get you a salary increase. You can be overqualified for a position and they will hire you for the minimum based salary.
    Main problem is upper management. VP's. They only take care of their friends and keep promoting others to better positions when they are not qualified for them. If you ask for a salary increase they will tell you that you dont deserve or you are doing the same work than others.
    These place is mostly bureaucracy. If you are planning to work here, faculty gets pay better than anyone else, but staff doesnt. You will be better working for the ISD and getting better pay.

Stop playing golf and get to work. Take care of your employees and give them the salary they deserve. Do not use excuses about not having money. All vp's get pay over $100K and few of them deserve it.

Good place to work but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Midwestern State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best place to work in Wichita Falls
    Great State benefits if you last that long
    Upper Management willing to meet with anyone

Cons

Very top-heavy - there are "associate" vice presidents and "administrative assistants" for everything
    Upper management takes care of themselves - few raises for anyone else
    High turnover - very low salaries at some professional positions and most custodial positions
    Faculty overpaid and always complaining about something - never happy
    Staff must pay to park cars on campus
    Bad publicity from local and campus newspapers

Reward deserving employees...you know who they are...they are the ones with great evaluations who leave. It costs a lot more to replace great workers than reward them. Keep those who need to know what is going on to do their jobs informed of what is going on. Should not have get the information you need to do your job from the newspaper.

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Midwestern State part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Every area of the university that I have experienced has been very well-organized and a pleasure to deal with. My colleagues in the Graduate School Dean's office are very smart, nice, and fun to work with. It is a professional and congenial atmosphere. They offer health and life insurance to graduate assistants as well.

Cons

I have to be there at 8AM, and it is a 1-hour commute for me. The arrival time is not flexible.

You are doing a great job - I love this university! I think graduate students should get credit for internships that are directly related ot their major. I was surprised to find out that I will get no credit if I spend a semester working at Intel as an intern (I am a Computer Science graduate student).

Comfortable

Current Employee - Assistant Professor of Computer Science in Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor of Computer Science in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Midwestern State

Pros

The people here are great. The city is nice. Cost of living is low. Campus facilities offer a nice relaxed working environment.

Cons

Salaries are not up to the national standard for similar sized universities. Being a teaching university, not much free time to do research.

Improve compensation. The appearance of favoritism between colleges and departments is hurting moral. Creation of positions such as "Dean of Wellness" seems frivolous in times of financial hardship such as we are in currently.