Midwestern University

2.9

CEO

Training as a Fellow

I have been working at Midwestern University

Pros

Excellent Program with good work-life balance

Cons

none that I can think of

none

A workplace that treats you well and compensation is good

I have been working at Midwestern University full-time

Pros

Great place to work, good employees, room to grow. Benefits are excellent, pay is good depending on your position. More like a family than a factory job that makes you feel like a robot. Always expands your ability to move up and learn.

Cons

Not really..I enjoy the place, work in a good department that helped me grow more

Stable and growing

Current Employee - Instructor in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Midwestern University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Private university with continued growth while public universities downsize and furlough. Good benefits and beautiful campus. My department allows me a great deal of freedom to explore areas of interest and set my own schedule. I'm valued for my contributions and encouraged to improve my skill sets.

Cons

Work environment varies from college to college and even from department to department depending on supervisor. Opportunities for advancement also vary for staff depending on department. Some departments seem to be "favored" more than others, as do some people.

Talk to the people actually doing the work (i.e. staff within the various colleges) before setting new policies that affect us all!.

Glendale Campus, AZ

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Midwestern University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great facilities and faculty help when needed.

Cons

The CHS is racially insensitive. Over heard some of faculty from the School of Perfusion and Physician Studies saying negative remarks about minorities while walking back from lunch. Its really sad that this still goes on at educational insitutions.

Try harder to hirer the right people.

AVOID working for Midwestern University in Glendale AZ!

Former Employee - Salaried Employee of Six Years in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Salaried Employee of Six Years in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Midwestern University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Campus is nice. Students are fabulous.

Cons

Horrible leadership. They have zero loyalty to long time employees. Racist and don't expect to be promoted or do well unless your director likes you. They fire people without reason, which their H.R. supports and MANY people have won lawsuits after being fired for discrimination. There are too many other great companies in the area, don't put yourself through the BS.

Hire an H.R. Department that is actually FOR the faculty and staff. Go back to Chicago and close the corrupt Glendale campus.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Midwestern University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are really taken care of. We receive ample time off, good benefits, and I have received a raise every year I worked here.

Cons

No opportunities to advance, the company is pretty flat. I scratch my head at some of the choices for leadership.

Reward employees who have been with the company for a long time.

It's a job that pays the bills

I have been working at Midwestern University full-time

Pros

Paid holidays (11) and good benefits, especially in these uncertain economic times. Some perks are the yearly Thanksgiving and "Holiday" luncheons where you can win an iPad or LED TV. There are also monthly in-services where you get a free lunch. You get an annual gift from the University like a Lands End jacket with a Midwestern logo. There is an annual faculty/staff appreciation dinner at a fancy hotel.

Cons

Very suffocating, corporate atmosphere where all are micromanaged. The hard workers are ignored and taken advantaged of and those who become a favorite pet by a superior or have leverage of some kind can be lazy and still be rewarded! More work for the hard worker and less work for the lazy worker. Having work ethics is not rewarded at all - if you have none, you'll do great here and would be a wonderful place to work towards retirement. It is definitely a "good ol' boys" mentality or work environment here. Very conservative. If you don't conform, you will not be successful. Creativity is stifled. The structure is sketchy at best. Policies change at any given moment and without much notice and this is company-wide as well as at the micro-level. You will find out only through word or mouth or if you happen to stumble upon it. The many programs/colleges and supporting departments are cliqueqy, where there seems to be little intercollegiate cooperation or teamwork. It is an "us" against "them" mentality. Yes, there is tremendous growth but there is no business sense going on here - before expanding or building a new vet school, why not strengthen and improve current infrastructure? It is true that new programs are given state-of-the-art equipment and technology, given full-time faculty and ample support staff while the more established programs are neglected and taken advantage of - such as raising student numbers to help fund new programs with the same number of faculty and staff - overworked and underpaid. They say they are non-profit, but everything is driven by quantity, not quality, which is just not ethical when churning out dentists, doctors, and other health professionals.

Think before you expand by improving current infrastructure (technology for example or the parking situation) and the established programs who badly need more support staff, better equipment and resources, have full-time faculty. You build and build but do you have the capacity of resources to support what you are building so quickly? Communication builds trust - communicate to all levels and at all times. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Highly corporate environment, little faculty autonomy, lots of micromanaging

Current Employee - Faculty in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Midwestern University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits. Nice location but constantly (10+ years) under construction.

Cons

Administration micromanages nearly every situation. Growth of institution has been exponential, but seemingly without regard for the burden on current programs. New departments get state of the art facilities; existing programs basically ignored. Decisions about resources (teaching space, offices, building design) made without consulting end-users before implementation. Very top-down corporate environment, a poor fit for academia, including strict "core business hours" which thwart faculty freedom and creativity. No attempts to facilitate faculty members' ability to maintain even a minimal a clinical practice as part of overall faculty role. Students ask about and comment on this last issue frequently.

Allow more independent faculty governance. Show existing programs and departments they are as valued as new ones through ongoing outreach to faculty about basic needs. If the University wants to maintain or improve quality of faculty, needs to support opportunities for clinical release time - a standard in most competitor medical education programs. This used to be a great place to work, but many talented faculty are burned out and stay only for $$$.

Professional suicide - Midwestern University is where people go to retire.

Former Employee - Research Tech in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Research Tech in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Midwestern University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, because researchers are paid by the university and not grant funding (probably because none of the faculty has external funding).

Cons

No professional growth opportunities, poor compensation, and, at times, extremely unprofessional management.

Good mix of teaching and research

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Midwestern University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The cons are: Job security and Salary and Benefits. I have also been very pleased with the quality of my colleagues. The building my lab is in is brand new and well designed.

Cons

The biggest adjustment coming from a larger institution is how long things take.