Mihlfeld & Associates

Jeff Ellis

Started out great...

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mihlfeld & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDepending on Manager, good place to work

ConsNot enough vac. & holidays for a 20 year old company

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

Long term field account manager

I have been working at Mihlfeld & Associates

ProsSuperior pay, great product and strong management support.

ConsCold calling is tough. Most failures occur because they will not consistently prospect and follow up on in process accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep web page fresh. Invest in professional sales training for staff.

Terrible, very deceptive commission and payout compensation structure

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Mihlfeld & Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsThe initial hourly pay is enticing but very deceptive, they have horrible job performance practices and you are never paid for your spiff and they refuse to tell you why..

ConsThey bait and switch, promise of great pay and stability but turn and burn employees, they went through more than 15 people in the year and a half I was there. They have a promise of a big payout when sales reps sign a company but then the people who facilitated this somehow disappear, they are fired. Since you are required to sign a form that if you are not currently employed at the time they turn a profit of said company..they dont pay and guess what NO ONE has been paid the big dollars they promise..its a SCAM DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE

Advice to Senior Management`Please train the upper management to properly manage the staff, the inexperience adds to the deceptive pay compensation they promise

Failing company that does not adapt in a changing industry

Field Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Mihlfeld & Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexibility in where you want to work if you are a sales executive

Cons- Dishonest about pay. They list a $15k signing bonus when you close an account. Most signing bonuses are between $1k and $3k. It was rare that a sales executive ever got more than a $10k signing bonus.
- Poor training. They go with the philosophy of the less you know the better. They cut the strings and let you go out and sell on your own with no knowledge or training.
- The industry is changing rapidly to where 3PLs have to change their business models. While this was profitable 10 years ago, information flow through the internet and automated systems have made companies like M&A more and more irrelevant.
- Poor Support. When a company hires 12 new sales people per year, and not one of their field sales staff is there for longer than 12 months, you know there is a problem.
- Bad pay. $24k base salary + $15k signing bonus + 15% commission sounds good right? The truth is: $24k base salary - a big chunk of this is what you personally spend on gas, cell phone, and work station materials to do this job. Signing bonus is more like $1-3k each deal split up over 4 months. Commission: It will take you 3 months to sign your first deal, then it will take 6 months after signing a deal to get your first commission check. By that time 9 months will have passed with you making $2k/mo and you will be fed up with the company and will have left.

Advice to Senior Management1. Invest in software
2. Invest in your sales people. Better salary. Better training. Better Support.

Big Promises

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Mihlfeld & Associates

ProsTraining is centered around learning how to cold call. Contacts are C-level executives so it will look good on your resume. Autonomy in your territory. Milage and some cell phone expenses paid.

ConsTraining is centerd around cold calling and making appointments. Need to focus training on the logistics industry. Extremly difficult program to sell. Very long sales cycle. Lack of communication between sales executives and management. No flexibilty in the program that you are selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the program with the times. 5 year contract is way too long. Be flexible and create options for potential clients. New website needed. Don't be afraid of saying what you do. Logisitcs!

A learning experience in "too good to be true"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mihlfeld & Associates

ProsLots of autonomy, potential for success, and a it is actually a very interesting service they provide.

ConsThey promote a really...ambitious rate of success among sales reps. Something to the tune of 1/5 are "successful," but there are only a handful, maybe 3-4, that ever made any kind of career out of M&A.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the "turn and burn" mentality when it comes to hiring.

Worked for Mihlfeld & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mihlfeld & Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mihlfeld & Associates CEO Jeff Ellis. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Mihlfeld & Associates employees.