Mikes Carwash

3.1

Mike Dahm

Very Good Business

I worked at Mikes Carwash

Pros

A lot of training is done on-site as well as off-site.
    Management is generally very helpful.
    Everyone works together

Cons

Scheduling was very hit and miss.

I would really look to promote from within before looking for outside help.
    I would aim to create lifetime employees rather than middle of the road employees.

Good experience for young employees

Former Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Mikes Carwash part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours (part time).

Typically worked with smart, productive, and ambitious individuals. Only had a few experiences where employees "slipped through the cracks" of the interview process and weren't great to work with. Almost all employees were great to get a long with and made the experience much better. This goes for managers too, who almost always seemed to put my interests at an equal if not higher level than company needs.

Cons

Pay is very average. I was payed minimum wage for almost 2 years until I actively sought out managers for a raise (I did get a small raise after pursuing it due to my length of time with the company).

Turnover rate for employees seems a little high but this is likely due to the fact that there are a lot of young employees.
    Manager changes seemed to happen frequently though which can be frustrating. Typically around 4 managers per store, but it felt like very time I returned from school to work, I was dealing with 1-3 new managers and had to build a new rapport.

Pay employees based on performance in order to keep employees interested, not just for promotions. This will help keep a lot of excellent employees and give them the desire to stay with the company and move upward into management.

Company Review

I have been working at Mikes Carwash

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Work Schedule
    Working with others who share the same interest as you or are friendly

Cons

Working outside in extreme weather conditions (snow, rain sleet) You name it
    Understaffed (Need to hire more people)

Working at Mike's has been a decent experience. I've worked there for over a year now and its a good first job.

Current Employee - Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Mikes Carwash part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is above starting average of other companies
    1 Free carwash a week
    Good sales experience
    Fun people to work with (Varies on store)
    Managers listen to you and provide a good work environment
    Willing to work with your Schedule (But weekends, you almost have to work)

Cons

They do expect a lot out of their employee's, which I'm not saying is wrong, but as much as they rely on us, I feel like we should get paid more. I feel like with their daily expectations, which are very high, we should get paid more

You can't work there a get a unlimited pass like customers have (Pay a monthly fee and wash your car as much as you like)

- Working in Hot and Cold temps.

Allow associates to get fast passes, if you're worried about them giving away free washes, its the same as theft, just fire them.

I'd also say, give us associates more "Atta boys" or thanks… We do A LOT for you guys.

Great people, great experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at Mikes Carwash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers.
    Most managers truly care about your job satisfaction.
    Upper management is easy to talk to and willing to listen.
    Monthly bonuses based on location's performance

Cons

Retail hours.
    Pay is inconsistent
    Black out time for PTO use from November to April
    Hard to start a family with the hours and workload
    Increasing workload and no help with staffing

It is a busy job, with long hours. There is always something to do even though it gets extremely repetitive.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Mikes Carwash full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training is good and it is not hard to advance in position or salary. The pay is slightly better that other companies starting out and the benefits are good.

Cons

You out in the elements for most of the day and on your feet as well. It doesn't matter if you are a manager or an associate, you will still being out in production. If you are a college graduate with a degree is something other that maintenance, this job will not challenge you mentally and you will become bored with it.

Create new positions for employees that provide more gratification.

Well as a an asscioate it was really fun work And also being outside all day.

I worked at Mikes Carwash

Pros

Team bonuses are calculated after all of the expenses are played and you could add up to a $1.50

Cons

Being out side and the cold weather or being outside in extreme hot conditions work in weekends when under staffed

Terrible pay, terrible work environment, terrible upper management

Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Full Time Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Mikes Carwash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job. Associates are great to work with as well as the lower level management.

Cons

-terrible pay
    -horrendous work environment (heat, cold, chemicals)
    -the uniforms we wear are very outdated and we have to purchase everything ourselves
    -upper level management sucks(AD's and higher)
    -little to no motivation to continue working with the company
    -I've gotten one raise in 2 years ($0.20)
    -you can only move up within the company if you kiss butt and tell them you will be there for your whole life
    -no breaks
    -customers at most locations are very rude
    -"bonus" checks are a joke and usually nonexistent
    -hours we work are horrible (almost every weekend)
    -stores are short staffed because everyone quits, making people have to work that much harder
    -they offer tuition reimbursement which is great but I can't afford to pay for school in the first place because the pay is so low
    -I average 36 hours a week, yet live below the poverty line
    -they make changes such as price increases and expect the associates to deal with the ticked off customers
    -we line the owner's pockets so he can go live like a King while his workers live like peasants

Quit raising prices before you lose customers! Give employees more money and a reason to stay with the company. Hire more associates.

Stuck in recession

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Mikes Carwash full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High job security. Awesome training program. Outstanding opportunities for people with little/no secondary education. Advancement opportunities to Assistant manager come very easy. Advancement to Location Manager very obtainable. Fair benefits programs including insurance and 401k. Free carwashes.

Cons

40-50 hrs a week minimum; many managers are working 6-7 days a week due to the inability to hire associate help at an extremely low rate of $8.50/hr.. There really are no "lunch breaks" with Mike's; it's bring food and eat quickly between customers. Unfortunately, this promotes a very unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits. If you think you are going to work at that Mike's right down the street from your house, think again. Managers are constantly shuffled around and it's not uncommon to drive by 3-4 Mike's locations to get to the location you are assigned to work at. For me this was 30 miles from my house, when the nearest location was 6 miles. Employees are stuck in extreme hot/cold weather conditions for extended periods of time due to short staffing. It's very easy to make 35k/yr, but near impossible to make over 60k/yr. Only company I've seen where people are refusing promotions from Assistant to Operations manager due to Assistants (hourly 45hr/wk) making more money than Operations (Salary 50hr/wk). Mike's also seems to lose Location managers quite frequently from them moving on to better paying jobs. I really don't think a company should be losing it's location leaders due to better opportunities; to me this really speaks volumes. There seems to be no acknowledgement of years of service other than what your name tag says; they refuse to compensate for experience. Since the current CEO has taken over he has drastically cut pay, this is evident by how you hear people who have worked for Mike's 10+ years ago say how great of a company it is. The few employees with over 10 years of experience have been grandfathered in to these extremely low wages and are making way more the current pay scales indicate. In my honest opinion I feel Mike's is still stuck in the recession and compensating as such. The economy is picking up and they are paying well below the market value to their employees. They will continue to lose employees until this is addressed.

The company will not grow without seriously adjusting the pay scale. If you cannot keep your current locations staffed with managers/associates you won't be able to keep adding stores. Invest in your people and keep around the good talent. Make this a job people want and fight for. You let way to many people walk out the door for an extra 10-20k per year. With top level talent the locations will run with less stress and ultimately be more successful.

Superisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Mikes Carwash full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team environment with competitive wages, tuition reimbursement, and good promotion prospects

Cons

Do not work here if you dislike working weekends. Short staffing will lead to long hours.

We do have high expectations. I would like to see efforts in retaining associates.