Milestone Internet Marketing

Reset
2.3
Milestone Internet Marketing CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Pros
  • You will learn a lot within a short amount of time here and your co-workers are great (in 8 reviews)

• There is also free breakfast on Fridays and the office location is conveniently located in River North (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Items get blown out of proportion if upper management is involved because they try to save their own reputation (in 16 reviews)

• The most successful account managers tend to have a few years of work experience under their belts (in 15 reviews)

Great company, with great people, product, and vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Milestone is a great company to work for. Having worked for other companies in the past, this company has a lot going for it. For starters, coworkers at Milestone are some of the hardest working, smart, caring people I have seen in my career. They care a lot about their customers, put a lot of blood and sweat in the products they are working on, and genuinely want to make Milestone a great place to work in. Also, Milestone is working on some of the most cutting-edge products in the digital marketing space. As with any product out there, there are bound to be issues, bugs, and the product team is transparent about these issues with the entire company to provide transparency. However the product team is always on top of getting the issues resolved in a timely manner and ensuring the needs to end-users are being met. All in all, I have had nothing but just great experience working at Milestone.

Cons

The environment at Milestone is very fast-paced and, at times, it can feel like there are too many things going on at the same time. I have to organize myself, plan my day, week in advance to ensure I succeed at Milestone. With the discipline of time management, multi-tasking, and escalating issues to upper management at the first sign of trouble, I have been able perform and succeed at Milestone.

Advice to Management

Create an internal avenue to listen to employees’ feedback and ensure actions are taken from the feedback and communicated to the employees.

Good company, just need to show employees they are secure in positions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always training and sharing new ideas and value of programs with in the company. Try to show team pride but fall a little short.

Cons

Not always sure where you stand in your position. Security is hard to tell and job may feel like your work is valued but no real way to show stable and wanted as an employee, which is why it seems so many come and go. Hate seeing people leave after just a few months.

Advice to Management

work with employees to see they are heard and understood. that they feel valued and their job is secure, while working with them when you have needs they are not meeting, communicate that with them and help they know they are valued as an employee.

Jun 23, 2015 – Director of Client Services

Clear employee growth is important to us, and we will take your thoughts into consideration as we continue to mold our review structure and change the way we engage with employees through career ... More

A decent place to start

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Cons

I had been unemployed for a few months when I was offered a position at Milestone. I had very bad feeling about it, but accepted as I had nothing else lined up. The interview: - They left me waiting in the lobby for an unusually long amount of time. - A certain executive asked very unprofessional questions, and made insulting assumptions about me and my living situation. - The president of the company told me that employees like to badmouth the company, and asked how I would deal with it. - I did speak with a few very pleasant and positive employees as well. - they did a background check, asked for pay stubs from previous employer and wanted college transcripts. The experience: - The company had a very structured training program that lasted about 4 weeks. Different account managers lead these trainings, and everyone seemed super knowledgeable and friendly during these training. - I truly felt like I was surrounded by very professional, smart individuals (my fellow peers, not upper management). To this day, this was the best group of folks I have worked with. - The work was so so, but the expectations were outrageous. People were leaving this job all the time, so you would regularly have 10+ additional accounts dumped on you. You would like to yourself, 'ok, I have about 70 now, there is no way they can give me more...' then WHAM, you got more. A lot of employees really had a bad time with the president of the company, but I always found her pleasant. She was definitely a bit all over the place, but very good at what she does and very passionate about SEO and hospitality. Lots of people here worked well into the night to keep up with the workload. I didn't. I would advise current and future employees to make their lives a lot less stressful and just do the regular 8-5, its just a job, don't stress so much about it.

Advice to Management

Pay better, value your employees more, they work really hard. Don't stress if someone needs to take an appointment during work hours, making them enter PTO for this is just rediculous and shows you have no trust in employees.

Jun 23, 2015 – Director of Client Services

It sounds as though your overall experience was positive and you enjoyed working with your team; thank you for your review and point of view. We appreciate anyone that takes out time to provide us ... More

Welcome to the bottom...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get to read reviews and not make the mistake that we all did.

Cons

No Training: You will be assigned accounts on your first day. A friend of mine started and had an email from a previous account managers client asking her to update something on his site. Forget training, you will be expected to hit the ground running. Clients: Are cancelling everyday when they too realize that they were bamboozled. Get use to apologizing for things out of your control. (Server outages, internal delays, billing mishaps) You name it, you will be the one who has the take the blame because you "own" the account. You will also have a very dysfunctional workload pulling you in a lot of different directions using an outdated laptop that can't handle half of what you need to do. Management: The cancer to this organization. They get paid 100k/year to watch you searching for other employment opportunities on the web and reading Skype messages to other employees. They are talking heads and really do not understand SEO, therefore expect to get vague responses to legitimate client questions and concerns. India Team: They pretty much do all the work. You have to create a support ticket for your client. Expect 90% of your tickets to come back with "confusion" delaying your project for several days. They will say they don't understand even with screenshots, but internally we know this is a method to buy time from also being overworked.

Advice to Management

Get new morals, management, computers, and sustainable software for clients. You have went to a point of no return honestly. You have clients cancelling faster than employees are updating their LinkedIn profiles to find a new position. This company needs to start over with new people.

Jun 26, 2015 – Director of Products & Social Media

Dear Current Employee - we appreciate your feedback. Please give us an opportunity to work with you on specific issues you have, and explore solutions. If you reach out to a manager with your ... More

Milestone Internet Marketing Chicago is the worst place to work in 2015

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing

Pros

This place is so bad, it will make the next job you have seem like a dream come true

Cons

Where do I start? Management: Let’s go ahead and address the 600 lb gorilla in the room - the Chicago management team. Upper Management at the Chicago office is currently and has always been awful. Unprofessional, arrogant, caddy and mean pretty much sums it up. But don’t worry, they will be nice to your face and just talk about you behind your back. It’s just like high school, most days I can’t tell if I’m working at a professional organization or participating in a parody of a really bad 90’s teen movie. Upper Management’s approach to leadership is passive-aggressive and a total morale destroyer. They will roll their eyes and talk amongst themselves about employees and issues, however, they never address problems directly. Somebody told me the President/Founder of the company said they don’t want to offend anyone. HA! How do we know all of this? Because the upper management’s office walls are all pretty much made entirely out of glass and you can hear every conversation that takes place in there without even trying to listen….even when they whisper. Want to know someone’s salary? Or who the flavor of the month is? Or why someone isn’t competent to take on a certain account? Or how pleased they are when a middle manager is leaving the company? Or whatever dumb drama their kids are experiencing? Go ahead and take a listen. There is enough material to go on for days. Almost all of the reviews here have discussed how incompetent upper management is, however, they just keep adding more upper management positions. The key to resolving the issues isn’t adding more people in upper management. Properly train the team so they start creating an environment of trust and productivity and we can move away from the environment of low morale and distrust between upper management and the staff. Oh, and address issues head on. If you spent 1% of the time you spend on monitoring email, website browsing and skype usage, you’d probably be a pretty decent management team. Work Experience: You will learn a lot, but nothing relevant enough to take on to your next job. Most of the real SEO (technical) is performed behind the scenes with the programming team. Which reminds me, I hope you like skyping with your colleagues in India at 2am, because that’s what you have to do to get any projects accomplished. The team in India just pretends they don’t know what you are talking about and returns the case tickets back to you via email with ‘confusion, need more clarification in order to complete’ so they don’t have to work on the project that day. Which is a day ahead of the US. Which puts your project a day behind with every delay in response. Which is completely frustrating and ridiculous. Especially when sales promises websites in 60 days, but you spend half that amount of time drawing diagrams and creating presentations with screenshots so the team knows what you are talking about. Salary: is low considering the workload you will have to carry and the pain you will endure. I hope you like being yelled at by clients, because that happens constantly. It is usually because of something you couldn’t control, but Executive Management won’t acknowledge there are issues so you are left to explain server crashes, major delays in project timelines (due to poor internal planning) and issues resulting from the previous account manager all on your own. Also, there is a salary discrepancy between account managers and upper management that is so large it would make you sick to your stomach. Which wouldn’t be so bad, but there aren’t any positions between an account manager and upper management, so how can you ever obtain the skillset to advance to that level? Advancement Opportunities: There are none. A few lateral moves to social media, PPC or analytics teams are available, but that’s it. And they are usually reserved for the favorites or ‘selected flavors of the month’. Training: is ok. But be prepared to receive 30 accounts on your second day. Your manager will tell you everything will be ok – “you are just going to be the face of the account, I’ll tell you everything to do” then they go on vacation and you are left on your own. There is a formal training program, but it’s mostly just videos and webinars. They never teach you the background or reason why you do something a certain way, just the final product so you don’t really understand the full SEO practice. This is probably done intentionally so you don’t have adequate skillset to actually leave the company and go somewhere else. You will be less of an SEO professional and more of a talking head. Product Offering: is awful. A few proprietary tools have been created, but they are developed and launched so quickly they are always ridden with bugs and glitches, which is another issue you will have to make up excuses for to your clients. The products aren’t worth the price they sell them for. Don’t even get me started on linkbuilding and resource budgets. The Top Dog: The president/founder/owner whatever you want to call her is the furthest thing from an executive that I can think of. She’s nothing more than a narcissistic dictator who micromanages every detail imaginable and treats employees like indentured servants. She blows into the office once/once every other quarter and talks about how remarkable she is and how well respected she is in the industry. It’s comical to glance around the room when she’s giving her “I’m so amazing” speech. You can actually see everyone trying to keep from laughing. If she is so remarkable, then why are their so many issues in her company that go unaddressed? I wasn’t aware that remarkable leadership was sweeping issues under the rug and hope they go away on their own. She screams into the phone during meetings and then wonders why nobody responds to what she is saying. Probably because people don’t like to be screamed at. But, don’t take it personally – she treats everyone like that including clients. She’s hung up the phone on clients and even gotten into screaming matches during client meetings. The only plus is that she is in the California office and only comes to Chicago a few times a year, which is a relief to everyone – including upper management. She is disconnected from her employee base and should administer a state-of-the-union address to foster some reassure to the staff. But, unfortunately, you can’t tell her that because she knows everything, especially how to alienate employees and run a company into the ground. So feel free to take the reviews with a grain of salt. But, most people don’t spend personal time making up things that aren’t true and publishing them to glassdoor just to sabotage a company.

Advice to Management

Bring in real marketing executives with years of experience and the know-how to turn a sinking ship into a powerhouse.

Jun 23, 2015 – CEO

As management, our job is to provide the best working environment for our employees, train them, grow the team and as a result, get good results. It's unfortunate that your experience was not as ... More

very sad to work here

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

There are 40 minute designated happy hours once a month. The Chicago office is much better than the Santa Clara office but that doesn't say much if you read their experience. Every Friday you get breakfast.

Cons

Everyone is overworked. Everyone I know is hoping to leave this company and is miserable throughout the day. New hires are actively looking. Lack of any structural procedures is blamed on the rapid growth and their focus on scale and yet they still manage to blame every issue on the account manager. Promotions are purely by favoritism; time in the office or merit have no effect, despite their insistence on measuring everyone's performance, tracking keystrokes and daily skype chat reports. They fired someone for being on gmail too much when in reality they were unsatisfied with their abilities. They monitor text messages sent through imessage on their WiFi. They only buy refurbished laptops that cannot handle all the tracking processes it has to run.

Advice to Management

Sell quickly if that is the plan. Don't tell employees to quit if their intention is to learn SEO. If you are trying to create a system where you can hire lower skilled people for cheaper, then remove yourself from the day to day. Stop with the meetings that should be emails. When you present to the company, don't shriek and scold. We get it, schema is important.

Jun 26, 2015 – Director of Products & Social Media

Thank you for highlighting some positives that are important to you, as well as pointing out the areas with which you have frustrations. We would love a chance to discuss solutions to your issues ... More

Horrible Culture. Dishonest Business Practices. No Desire to Change.

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing

Pros

If you have zero experience in an office setting / professional environment, you can get your foot in the door here. They offer a solid healthcare plan that is paid 100% for the employee (0% for family), but honestly the insanely low starting pay and infrequent opportunities for wage increases or advancement kind of negate this one. With insanely high employee turnover* at the Santa Clara office, you have 100% job security / a lot of leeway with policies as long as you are competent *Don't let the management responses about a low turnover rate trick you; I challenge them to share stats on the % of employees in Santa Clara who have been employed there for 3+ years, and the % of turnover over that same time period.

Cons

Why bother restating what's already been said? Basically, the company operates on the whim of the President, and her husband the CEO. They are fairly transparent about the fact that short-term revenue growth is their top priority, which is why you will see the phrase "fastest growing company" as a defense in the management responses (they're very proud about that). Sadly, this ignores the fact that short-term revenue growth doesn't translate into long-term success, and certainly doesn't translate into a quality work environment. They truly optimize the old saying that "talk is cheap," as promises about coming improvements to the company's products, services, and internal policies will be often repeated, but rarely delivered on. The place is a career sinkhole, and long-term success here depends on your ability to ignore a menagerie of bad business practices that are designed to drive short-term, unsustainable growth.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're obviously running the business exactly as you see fit; however, please stop posting fake reviews here... it's fairly obvious when it's you, and you should at least give people the chance to come to work for you with realistic expectations.

9. Innovative opportunities and a fun environment!

Pros

Milestone believes hard work pays off! I will not say this job is easy, you can not expect to come in and watch the clock. This company has allowed me to learn best practices within the industry while working with a growing team!

Cons

Plan to push yourself to your full potential and then do more. There is always an opportunity to do more and take on more responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Allow your growing teams to contribute and advance when opportunities become available.

Unprofessional

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing

Pros

None! I seriously can't think of one positive thing to say about this company.

Cons

Be warned - stay away. There's a reason this company has such a poor rating. The employees are underpaid and management is unprofessional from HR to execs.

Underpaid, overworked, and treated like you are disposable.

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing

Pros

There are no pros working for Milestone.

Cons

Where to begin? Milestone runs off the poor business practices and ethics of the Aggarwals. If you ever have the displeasure of working here be prepared to have your morals challenged as you will see clients getting over charged (and when reported to the CEO, Anil, he will not give them a refund) and clients not getting the services they paid for as Milestones internal tools are riddled with bugs. Instead of using known and effective products Milestone will make an internal product for their service teams to use. While in normal companies creating in house tools is regarded highly as SAAS tools can produce high ROI, however Milestones version is created on a budget and launched prematurely as a full product when in fact it is still in beta. Hence why the tools are prone to having many bugs. Even though the tools don't work (and the bugs have been reported multiple times with no fixes in sight) be prepared to be blamed and put down by upper management when clients are unhappy. Also, don't be fooled when the upper management claims they are restructuring or that they had to make a change in processes because of growth and that's what is causing all the current issues. The issues are long term and stem way deeper in Milestone. One of the main issues is that they cannot retain employees long term so Milestone is constantly trying to rework their systems with the remaining employees in which the remaining employees will be given the workload of those who left but unfortunately none of the pay that goes along with it. On top of all the issues with the tools and business practices, the employees are treated poorly by upper management. Everyone is made to feel disposable and ones hard work will never be acknowledged or compensated. The only time raises and title changes are given is when people threaten to leave. Due to the fact that people are not treated well it creates an extremely negative work culture as no one ever seems happy to be at work making the days long and miserable. Milestone tries to play if off like the employees are unappreciative of all the benefits they give to employees but NEWS FLASH check any other company in the bay area. The benefits offered by Milestone are sub par at best. Everyone offers full medical and dental, your quarterly activities are a joke, and phantom stock is pointless.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you would want to be treated and in return your employees will care about your company and would stay long term and help work through the bugs and issues instead of leaving as soon as a new opportunity presents itself. Also, if you spend a little extra money to make your tools work and service your clients better and you'll have less client turnover as well. In addition, pay heed to what is written on Glassdoor! Stop being on the defense about your company and listen to the criticism and make it constructive so you can turn your company around before you run it further into the ground.

Mar 16, 2015 – CEO

We regret that your experience was not great and wish we had an opportunity to make it better while you were at Milestone. Milestone is a high-performance, fast-paced environment and while we strive ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed