Milestone Internet Marketing

Updated August 7, 2014

2.1

Milestone Internet Marketing CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Good opportunity for quick growth

Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There is a lot of room for quick growth at this organization. If you need more experience under your belt, you will learn a lot in a short time. If you have more experience, put in the work and you'll be noticed.

Sure, there are a lot of negative reviews on here, but you get out of this place what you put in. Work hard and reap the rewards.

Also - great co-workers!

Cons

The workload can vary day to day. Learn to switch gears quickly and multitask to succeed.

Focus more energy on employee wellness (based on other reviews)

Mar 20, 2014Director of Social Media

Thank you for your comments. We definitely encourage learning, and try to reward hard work with growth opportunities. If you have ideas on how we can continue to focus on employee wellness please ... More

Unorganized

Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

You will learn a lot within a short amount of time here and your co-workers are great. This is a perfect job for someone looking to get their foot in the door of an agency and learn about SEO. There is also free breakfast on Fridays and the office location is conveniently located in River North. Job security--you will never get fired from here because they are always in need of employees. You can wear whatever you want. The dress code is supposed to be business causal but it is not enforced.

Cons

There is a tremendous amount of lack of support from upper management and often times questions are not answered. "Escalate" is a common word you will hear often but it means nothing. The bonus structure is explained to you when you first start but questions about the earned amount can never be explained because the accounting department is always inconsistent and incorrect. There have been employees who have seen a shortage on their paychecks as well. Similar to other reviews, there is an unfair/unbalanced work load (35-45 accounts/AM) and no leadership in the Chicago office. Upper Management is very concerned with how they are viewed and perceived by the CEO and employees--very anxious and worried and always wanting to be the "most popular." The environment is unprofessional and people walk in late all the time. No one is held accountable. Upper Management acts different when the SEO is in town visiting and warns the staff to be on top of their game. Lastly, there are not many advancement opportunities. Although upper management will talk about the company as if you can grow fast, the positions are not defined and there a ton of empty promises.

Try getting organized and do not worry about the opinions of your employees. They will respect you more if you stop trying to be their friend and act like their boss. There needs to be a line drawn between sharing personal information and presenting yourself in a professional manor. Do not make promises you cannot keep.

Unless there is leadership change, this company won't get better

Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Like what others said. You will like your coworkers because you're all dealing with the same headaches and stress

Cons

Where do I start?

The Chicago Mangement needs change! The Chicago office moral is so low. People are always talking about quitting and looking for other jobs, and the office is only one year old!

The Chicago office needs new management as soon as possible, or they'll end up with an empty office sooner than later.

There is a huge disconnect between the Chicago office and the California office, and that's because the management in the Chicago office tries so hard to keep us separate. They want the California office to think the Chicago office is better. News flash, we're all one company!!! Stop caring about what the owner thinks of you and start caring about how you can help the company stay more united and grow for the better.

Like what the others said, Chicago management is all about gossiping! Gossip, gossip, gossip. Stop gossiping about employees and clients! 1. It's terrible that everyone in the office can hear you and see you doing it 2. Not how you run a successful business- the office moral is so down because of all your whispering and chatter 3. You should be ashamed you're acting like a middle school girl. This company could do so much better if you stopped wastin so many time gossiping and actually did work.

If you want to be successful, if you want to keep your employees long term and stop the high turnover, then hire better leaders or promote from within the people who have shown better leadership and expertise. The other reviewer was right. The Chicago office really needs help or it's about to lose so many employees due to unhappy working conditions under the current leadership.

Apr 21, 2014CEO

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We value all our employees and your feedback allows us to make improvements. We do encourage you to discuss your concerns with your manager ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible place to work. Avoid Milestone if you value your sanity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

They hire well. Co-workers are nice people and generally supportive of each other.
    Free breakfast on Fridays.

Cons

Unreasonable work load per account manager. Service to clients suffers because each account manager has too many accounts to really do a good job for any of their clients.

Gossip, gossip, gossip, among upper management! Management will gossip among themselves and with employees about other employees. This is unprofessional and demoralizing.

Milestone is totally lacking in a sold internal structure. Account managers spend more time tracking down information that should be readily available to them. This is frustrating for the account managers.

Very low morale. People quit every month at this place.

Serious micromanagement. Account managers spend more time filling out silly repetitive spreadsheets than doing actual work that might benefit their customers just to prove that they are doing their jobs.

Clients are often unhappy because of the high turn-over at Milestone. Some clients have had more than 3 different account managers within a year. When clients are upset, yelling and swearing at their account manager, the account managers are expected by management to take the abuse.

Pay more attention to these reviews. Invest in employee wellness. Stop gossiping with each other about your employees and start to address the problems in your company. If you treat your people better, you will have less turn-over and provide much better service to your clients.

Apr 3, 2014Senior Director of Clients Services

Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction – and that of your coworkers – is very important to us, and we strongly urge you to discuss your concerns with your manager. If you do not feel ... More

The Chicago Office Needs Help

Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Chicago Office:
    Coworkers: You will love your coworkers! Your coworkers are understanding because you're all on the same boat and are going through the same things.
    Mini Perks: Free breakfast on Fridays and quarterly outings.

Cons

Chicago Office:
    Leadership: Chicago Upper Management is dismissive of ideas/suggestions, gives new employees too many accounts too soon, doesn't inspire or motivate their employees to do well. There is way too much gossiping all day long... The whispering and gossiping every day about other employees and clients is unprofessional and brings down the company culture.
    Training: The training program means you sit in on a conference call with someone in California or you watch videos. It's not a real program. There are no schedules, no manuals, and no training materials at all. There isn't a anything you can refer to if you have questions. You have to ask people and you're made to feel dumb by Chicago Upper Management.
    Benefits: You only get 10 vacation days. There are basically no benefits provided.
    Company as a whole:
    There are weekly meetings that are a complete waste of time.
    Processes are always being changed and everyone is always being retrained on the new processes.
    There are so many redundant spreadsheets and checklists!
    It takes forever to get documents your client requests or sales quotes or contracts or refunds for incorrect billing, etc.

Leadership: I would recommend getting help in Chicago; we need someone with a background in internet search/SEO/eMarketing, and someone who has experience successfully leading a team in this industry!
    The Chicago office feels stranded because we aren't allowed to reach out to people in the California office for answers or assistance.
    Office Life: The office is really gross. Half of the office is freezing because there isn't a heater, half of the office has really small, ridiculously old desks. The kitchen and bathrooms are gross and rundown.
    There are always issues with the office regarding things not working. If too many things are plugged in, it sets off the circuit box and the lights turn off. The elevator is so old, it doesn't work on days it's freezing or hot outside. I would recommend investing in a better office that is cleaner, safer, and warmer.

Apr 15, 2014CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed you did not enjoy your time with Milestone. We agree with your comment on our employees as we feel they are best in class. In addition to the paid ... More

Most negative environment

Pros

The only perks, met some nice people. Did not learn anything to take away.

Cons

Has no trust in their employees and their suggestions. Always telling them how to do their job. Don't hire experienced employes and then tell them how to do their job. Horrible micromanagement by CEO, president and Management. If you want to constantly tell someone what they need to do and type out every email of what they need to say, then hire entry level people. They make you feel incompetent of your job. The perks they put on their website are so false. They oversell the offer to you and is nothing like what was told or interviewed for.

Figure out and listen to your employees instead if always telling them how they need to do their job. Maybe this will have an effect in the high employee turnover??

Apr 4, 2014CEO

Dear Ex-Employee,
    First of all, we want to thank you for providing the feedback. We truly appreciate your comment on meeting nice people, because we do take pride in our team and do believe we have
    ... More

Very Happy

Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager
    Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager

Pros

Excellent employees and co-workers. Educational and advancement opportunities. Milestone offers best in class products and is a market leader.

Cons

Any position has both strengths and challenges, it is how you react to them that matters.

Mar 20, 2014Director of Social Media

We're glad you enjoy being part of Milestone, and we want you and everybody else to continue learning, growing, and being a reason Milestone is a leader in our industry. Thanks for your feedback!

An awful place to work. DO NOT WORK HERE!

Pros

-All employees (other than the Owner & CEO) are very nice people.

Cons

- Your opinion and talent are worth nothing to the owner and CEO, they will disregard any recommendations and input you may have.
    - Owner and CEO micro-manage EVERYTHING.
    - Owner and CEO treat their employees as interchangeable objects. People quit every month at this company.
    - They market their company to be "fun with lots of company outings". Completely false. They throw a ping pong table in the back room and think this makes their company a fun place to work.
    - Lack of solid internal structure.

Stop micro-managing and empower the successful people in your company. You hired them for a reason.

Mar 17, 2014CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a great experience at Milestone. If any previous or current employees feel similarly, we encourage them to talk about ... More

Terrible, terrible place--Run away as fast as you can!

Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

I met some great people while working here, and we all got out together!

Cons

The turnover rate is insane--I was here for about 6 months, and in that time, I saw 13 people (of a staff of barely double that) leave. Senior management is awful (specifically the president who does not care about her employees and treats all like disposable items), the work-life balance is beyond horrific, no potential for growth, and you gain "experience" but only the type on paper. I cannot quantify any skills that I learned while at Milestone. I took the position because I was desperate for a job, and regretted the decision for the entire time I worked there. All the "innovative" systems that the company was coming up with could have been done with other tools in a more seamless fashion. The theory at Milestone is "work harder, not smarter."

Potential future employees--run away, and run away fast! Even if you are desperate, you can make more and gain more real experience elsewhere.

Foster growth in employees, train better and smarter, and finally--pull your head out of the clouds and realize what is going on in your company. No one wants to work for a place that works all employees to death, then hardly recognizes achievements.

Please read if you're considering this company.

Current Employee - Account Manager/E Strategist
    Current Employee - Account Manager/E Strategist

Pros

It's a casual dress code, which was a nice change for me to get used to. You work in a cubicle, so if you don't like talking to people in a customer service/retail environment, this is a good job.

Cons

Like many, I read the reviews on here and thought to myself "maybe there are just some very disgruntled employees who are just looking for someone/something to blame for the problems going on in their own life." Oh how wrong I was.

Training. Or, lack there of should I say. You watch 5 minute long videos that go through a procedure extremely fast, and then at the end, you are expected to know it inside and out. Give me a break. If this company invested even half the money they use in their ridiculously high turn over rate into the training and education of the job, it would be much different. The very first day I started, every single person told me "you're going to be overwhelmed for quite a while". Call me old fashion, but any job that offers proper training/guidance would never make anyone feel that way. If you want your associates to stay for the long term, start them off on the right foot; NOT with the idea that they made a huge mistake.

The President is on a major power trip. She wants to be included in on every single little thing. Which, at first I thought was an admirable quality that someone that high up wants to be involved. However, I realized shortly there after, it's not because she wants to help, she just wants to make the decisions for you. In my experience, I think it's great when a President wants to know what's going on. But, there's a fine line of wanting to know, and telling the associates how to do their job every second. Give the employees some leeway to make decisions for themselves, and stop baby sitting. I remember sitting in on a mandatory meeting, and all that was discussed is that "there were going to be more meetings"...really? We had a meeting to say there's going to be more meetings? An e-mail would suffice in my opinion, but then again, that's just me.

Company bonus? Hah! That's funny. Why? Because I have been given three entirely different answers on how the bonus structure works. Let's be honest here; a bonus is a huge incentive for anyone to work at a company since it seems to be more uncommon these days. However, if you're receiving a different answer every time you ask about it, there's clearly a lack in communication. And for something as simple as how a bonus structure works through out the company (not something like "what would you do in this situation?"), that says a lot about how important (or unimportant) consistency and communication are.

Don't bother going to upper management on how to improve procedures and work environments for associates. I stopped trying to talk to them when I heard the president say " I love hearing from employees; if you have an idea that improves efficiency for our clients or revenue I'm all ears." Now, don't get me wrong, it's all about revenue for any business. However, what about the happiness of your employees? The work load? Balance? Training? As Bill Marriott once said; take care of your employees and they will take care of the customers. This simple, yet brilliant thought, is ignored. Which, leads me to my next point.

The president LOVES to change everything, all the time. Every week (I wish I was exaggerating), I would have trouble locating certain files on the shared internet drive, because they were always switching things around. For whatever reason, she (as in the President), loves to reinvent the wheel. She loves fixing things that are not broken, rather than looking at where the real issues are. As mentioned previously, she loves hearing from associates on how to make things more efficient for customers. However, she fails to recognize that rearranging everything, all the time, and making changes to things that are not broken, creates inefficiency in of itself for associates, thus resulting with lowered results for the customers.

Like many, I was very very naive when reading the reviews on here. But please, PLEASE reconsider before starting here. 37 reviews of prior/current associates giving this company an overall score of 2.6, with only 41% willing to recommend to a friend, speaks volume. This company can sell you very well on how much of a good idea it is to work for them, how great of an experience it is, everything they have accomplished, etc. From a consumer standpoint, they are great. From an employee stand point, stay away. What you learn from here, you can easily learn in any book or web forum if you tried hard enough.

Listen to your associates about how it is to work for you. If you took half of the reviews on here seriously, you would cut your turnover rate in half, and have a much prouder staff. I firmly believe this review will fall on deaf ears. My hope is for potential prospects to take this review, as well as all the others, seriously.

Worked for Milestone Internet Marketing? Contribute to the Community!