Milestone Internet Marketing

Updated November 6, 2014
2.4

Milestone Internet Marketing CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Pros
  • You will learn a lot within a short amount of time here and your co-workers are great (in 8 reviews)

• There is also free breakfast on Fridays and the office location is conveniently located in River North (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know what they're doing and lack respect for their employees (in 16 reviews)

• The most successful account managers tend to have a few years of work experience under their belts (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good opportunity for quick growth

Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of room for quick growth at this organization. If you need more experience under your belt, you will learn a lot in a short time. If you have more experience, put in the work and you'll be noticed.

Sure, there are a lot of negative reviews on here, but you get out of this place what you put in. Work hard and reap the rewards.

Also - great co-workers!

Cons

The workload can vary day to day. Learn to switch gears quickly and multitask to succeed.

Focus more energy on employee wellness (based on other reviews)

Milestone Internet Marketing Response

Mar 20, 2014Director of Social Media

Thank you for your comments. We definitely encourage learning, and try to reward hard work with growth opportunities. If you have ideas on how we can continue to focus on employee wellness please ... More

Get ready to work really hard!

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great environment, and great group of employees.

Cons

CEO/Founder- good luck- pain in the butt to deal with

More growth opportunities for the employees

Terrible, terrible place--Run away as fast as you can!

Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I met some great people while working here, and we all got out together!

Cons

The turnover rate is insane--I was here for about 6 months, and in that time, I saw 13 people (of a staff of barely double that) leave. Senior management is awful (specifically the president who does not care about her employees and treats all like disposable items), the work-life balance is beyond horrific, no potential for growth, and you gain "experience" but only the type on paper. I cannot quantify any skills that I learned while at Milestone. I took the position because I was desperate for a job, and regretted the decision for the entire time I worked there. All the "innovative" systems that the company was coming up with could have been done with other tools in a more seamless fashion. The theory at Milestone is "work harder, not smarter."

Potential future employees--run away, and run away fast! Even if you are desperate, you can make more and gain more real experience elsewhere.

Foster growth in employees, train better and smarter, and finally--pull your head out of the clouds and realize what is going on in your company. No one wants to work for a place that works all employees to death, then hardly recognizes achievements.

One Step Forward, tHREE sTEPS bACK

Former Employee - Department Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Department Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Maybe the updated “image” of the CEO on here, and the corrected industry (from Linens?) means change is coming. That would be one good thing.

Cons

a. Employees often hear the theme of asking for help when needed. When they do, they are reprimanded. Either told you didn’t look into the issue hard enough yourself or that others are too busy with other tasks or meetings to assist.
    b Executive team show favoritism and employees are often called out in group setting
    C promotion to team lead often quickly; yet only to those willing to carry out the execs vision without any personal input. Team leads are expected to align their vision with management on all employee matters, regardless of their insight.

It would help to treat all employees equally and respectfully. If certain departments are underperforming, don’t overlook them, identify the cause within.
    2. hand gestures used to hurry presenters along during meetings is very disrespectful

Let's sell the dream...and service a nightmare

Former Employee - Account Manager/E-strategist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/E-strategist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Lots of great ideas, tons of innovative brainstorming, everyone finds their niche and becomes an expert in what they like.
    There are specialty and support teams you can join over time.
    This company definitely has a lot of potential in providing the best hospitality representation on the web in all aspects of online marketing.
    Some of the brightest people I have met work here, and they are very passionate about what they do.
    There are team meetings about company innovations and latest industry trends.
    Senior management is very dedicated to success and smart in dealing with other businesses during decision making process, although - need some help with implementation internally ( I think, they are still working on it).

Cons

Execution is a challenge when everyone is an idea generator driven by one decision maker. There is definitely lack of communication and collaboration between what ideas are to be implemented and by when, what sales will be selling and whether the product has been tested, and it leaves the service team in trouble.There are no clear targets or long term goals.

Operations team has an abundance of tools to manage clients, the problem is, to be effective - they need only one.There is no one place where you can look up everything about an account , which makes account management very difficult.As a result - team members often feel overwhelmed, overworked and under-appreciated, because they have to spend a lot of time looking up things and filling in manually information that should be available at a glimpse.

There are a lot of negative reviews about the environment. Environment is what you surround yourself with and you are part of it, stop being a victim. If you do not like working here and you are so miserable, it is a free country – get up and leave. I do not think it is fare to make other people miserable with you.There are a lot of people who stay positive and come up with ways to improve the operations, just like any company experiencing a sudden growth – it is a challenge. I wish them all the success.
    (Yes, I have seen a lot worse)

There is no certification or further career development program , with the amount of different services they provide, I have not seen team members attend seminars or get professional certifications encouraged by the company.

Be proactive not reactive: there is no time to invent, please invest into a good account management system for your team that is proven and works, you will get rid of a lot of frustration in a work place and make it effective.
    If you made a decision and communicated to everyone, please stick to it.
    You are no longer a start up , you are fully functioning successful agency - be one.

If you need experience, this is your company!

Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning environment if you need experience.
    Endless opportunities to learn and grow within the company very very fast BUT you need to have positive attitude and go-getter mentality.
    Opportunity to obtain many transferable skills including account management, project management and SEO.
    Opportunity to learn about latest technology and tools
    Great quarterly events, Friday's breakfast and happy hour, company picnic and holiday party.
    After Milestone, any other job will be a piece of cake.

Cons

High employee turnover rate
    High workload but manageable if you or your manager know(s) how to prioritize
    Lots of process changes (expected at a startup level)

Develop your middle management, so that they can inspire and help Account Managers.
    Increase pay
    Motivate people

Avoid at all costs

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts on Friday mornings. The Christmas party was nice. Other than that.... what a disaster.

Cons

Oh, wow, where to start? Most reviews here have already covered it. When I was hired, I was promised health care from day 1. What a farce as it does take time to set up. Still, it was fairly quick (I waited a month -- most wait 3 or more months), but my DOB was messed up and that caused headaches from the start! I was one of the lucky few to get fired from this place (really a blessing in disguise, though it was mighty embarrassing at the time), but wow... not even when it was time for my W4 to arrive did Milestone get that right! I had moved during my short stint and had provided my change of address, but wow... even that didn't register right. I think it's probably due to the fact that most people are running around there like chickens with their heads cut off.... too much to do to really focus on any task at hand. Yes, the attitude here among most workers is incredibly negative and you do feel a sense of gloom and doom the minute you walk in the door.

Training? Maybe some account managers got training, but I never did and therefore... I was let go. It was crazy as I really wanted to learn the business, but no one had the bandwidth to show me things and I was "senior level" and therefore expected to read minds and just grasp things at a moment's notice. Give me a break! In actuality... working at Milestone gave me the nudge I needed to leave the Bay area and get a job with saner working hours and a lower cost of living. I feel for all the folks still there.

Is the turnover as bad as people say it is? You better believe it. In my 6 weeks there, I saw 2-3 people leave per week!!!!

Pay people Bay area salaries! Don't expect people to work 70 hour weeks for crappy pay and still have a go-getter and positive attitude.

MOST Unprofessional and Reward-less Job - TOXIC Workplace!!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

- SEO knowledge buy you can learn that anywhere. The toxic environment is not worth the knowledge you gain

Cons

VERY poor management by President that trickles down to mid-level management, ZERO concern for employees life-work balance or work load, a lot of politics, playing games, very low company morale and very high employee turnover. Work load is just insane not normal - easily plan to put in 70+ hours per week without any acknowledgment or compensation to match it. Be prepared to be humiliated, insulted for small things in front of everyone and being called names.

Stop monitoring glassdoor reviews everyday and adding fake ones with 4 or 5 stars instead wake up and fix the issues - you already know what they are! If you can't manage it, then own it and get some outside help

A company with squandered potential... A job without reward or respect

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly usable SEO strategies, Many hard-working coworkers, Connections within the SEM industry

I was holding off on posting a review, but noticed some inaccurate and fake reviews, so I feel I have to share my experience (yes, the three reviews – left on 10/9/12, 10/10/12 and 10/12/12 - are written by the company to apparently boost the very low score on Glassdoor). The person who added them is just doing their job, but I need to call that out right-off-the-bat.

Milestone is a mixed bag in the truest sense of the word. You will learn a lot, and all of it very quickly. There IS room to move up in the company, if you are innovative. And you CAN really build your professional credentials in a hurry. Unfortunately, I would have to say the cons outweigh the pros... There is too much to handle for essentially all types of employees at Milestone, and management seems to be oblivious and/or unconcerned of the effects of this on the company’s long-term vision. More recently (in 2012), a slew of customer cancellations resulted in additional training, and the creation of “functional” teams, all of which did not address the most obvious and guilty culprit – absurdly high employee turnover. For reference, a “senior” account manager at Milestone is someone there for 1 to 2 years (which sadly, only is about 20% of the employees - by the way). Departing customers even cited having too many AM transfer as the main reason for cancelling, but management refused to believe it.

Cons

Very very VERY poor management, ZERO concern for employees life-work balance, abysmally Low company morale

The truth of the matter is, management and the owners do not know how to manage employees. They have a good product, they really do. But they cannot keep loyal employees and the result is a poorly-executed product offering. On the topic of employees at Milestone, when there are routinely back-door conversations with the topic being the lack of respect and frustration with management, you know there is a problem (and despite what the reply to this may say, its AT LEAST 8 out of 10 employees openly displaying this sentiment). I even saw two different coworkers, on two SEPARATE occasions, crying because of being over-loaded with work. No one should be driven to that point in any work environment, especially considering that the average monthly pay for account managers (in 2012) is appx 35k to 45k, and the average hours worked each week is appx 60 to 80… you do the math on how competitive the truly is. Either the upper management is oblivious to the workload they are assigning, or are willingly pushing their employees to the breaking point. I'm not sure which of those is worse... There have been situations, too, where employees were not paid their contractual bonuses (MBO, quarterlies, etc) in a timely manner and had to contact their team leads and accounting in order to eventually get paid. Some of my co-workers (more than one, by the way) had to wait over two months to get their bonus paid out (one of them only partially, btw)... What if they said nothing? Would they have not been paid?! This happened to me too, but it was only delayed a month (good by comparison, I guess).

The worst aspect of Milestone (in my opinion) is the management... Micro-managing abounds for Account Managers, teetering on paranoia. Certain high-level managers spend more time in meetings looking around at what employees are doing, then actually listening and contributing to “company meetings.” This not only comes over as demonstrating a unnecessarily high level of mistrust of employees, but also results in upper-management continually asking the same questions and requests that are covered in the aforementioned company-wide meetings over and over again. A co-worker found a blog post on that I think really nails the problem that emanates from the top of the company (http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/2855-why-we-hate-working-indian.html) - Feel free to read it, as I found most of it to be quite true. Now, to be fair, not all “mid to upper” management is bad there - This really only pertains to 2 or 3 individuals. Unfortunately, those individuals are the ones who set the overall strategic vision for the company, and therefore result in a border-line dysfunctional company. Those same 2 to 3 individuals always seemed to focus on the negative when doing reviews or discussing tasks, instead of lifting up employees with the many positive things they are doing. In summary, I began my journey at Milestone as an eager and "gung-ho" employee, willing to go the extra mile for the company's success. Sadly, for reasons mentioned above, my loyalty to the company corroded over time and I ended my tenure as someone who was just working for a paycheck - not for company.

BUT, with all that being said, this is a good place to start if you are inexperienced and need to build your resume... Myself, and nearly everyone I worked with that moved on from Milestone has gone on to do great things with great bay area companies. I only advise Milestone to you if you have limited SEO experience, need a job, and are having trouble getting other interviews for entry-level positions.

I won't bother writing more, as I'm sure none of the concerns raised by this, and past, reviews would be implemented anyways...

PS - I always found it funny that an internet marketing company had so much trouble with its own organic results (since when you search "Milestone Internet Marketing" the 4th or 5th organic result is Glassdoor, which makes the company look bad)

Unprofessional Business Practices

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

There are a lot of bright people that work for this company, but those people usually leave right away, hence the high turnover rate.

Cons

This company is just awful. Poor business practices. Overworked and underpaid. Upper management doesn't know what they're doing and lack respect for their employees. It will seem like they know what they're doing because they put up a pretty great impression, but they really don't know what's going on. The president of this company is just awful.

Milestone Internet Marketing Photos