Milestone Internet Marketing

Reset
2.2
Milestone Internet Marketing CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Pros
  • You will learn a lot within a short amount of time here and your co-workers are great (in 8 reviews)

• There is also free breakfast on Fridays and the office location is conveniently located in River North (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Items get blown out of proportion if upper management is involved because they try to save their own reputation (in 16 reviews)

• The most successful account managers tend to have a few years of work experience under their belts (in 15 reviews)

Great company, with great people, product, and vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Milestone is a great company to work for. Having worked for other companies in the past, this company has a lot going for it. For starters, coworkers at Milestone are some of the hardest working, smart, caring people I have seen in my career. They care a lot about their customers, put a lot of blood and sweat in the products they are working on, and genuinely want to make Milestone a great place to work in. Also, Milestone is working on some of the most cutting-edge products in the digital marketing space. As with any product out there, there are bound to be issues, bugs, and the product team is transparent about these issues with the entire company to provide transparency. However the product team is always on top of getting the issues resolved in a timely manner and ensuring the needs to end-users are being met. All in all, I have had nothing but just great experience working at Milestone.

Cons

The environment at Milestone is very fast-paced and, at times, it can feel like there are too many things going on at the same time. I have to organize myself, plan my day, week in advance to ensure I succeed at Milestone. With the discipline of time management, multi-tasking, and escalating issues to upper management at the first sign of trouble, I have been able perform and succeed at Milestone.

Advice to Management

Create an internal avenue to listen to employees’ feedback and ensure actions are taken from the feedback and communicated to the employees.

A decent place to start

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

A lot of employees really had a bad time with the president of the company, but I always found her pleasant. She was definitely a bit all over the place, but very good at what she does and very passionate about SEO and hospitality. Lots of people here worked well into the night to keep up with the workload. I didn't. I would advise current and future employees to make their lives a lot less stressful and just do the regular 8-5, its just a job, don't stress so much about it.

Cons

I had been unemployed for a few months when I was offered a position at Milestone. I had very bad feeling about it, but accepted as I had nothing else lined up. The interview:

- They left me waiting in the lobby for an unusually long amount of time.
    - A certain executive asked very unprofessional questions, and made insulting assumptions about me and my living situation.
    - The president of the company told me that employees like to badmouth the company, and asked how I would deal with it.
    - I did speak with a few very pleasant and positive employees as well.
    - they did a background check, asked for pay stubs from previous employer and wanted college transcripts.

The experience:
    - The company had a very structured training program that lasted about 4 weeks. Different account managers lead these trainings, and everyone seemed super knowledgeable and friendly during these training.
    - I truly felt like I was surrounded by very professional, smart individuals (my fellow peers, not upper management). To this day, this was the best group of folks I have worked with.
    - The work was so so, but the expectations were outrageous. People were leaving this job all the time, so you would regularly have 10+ additional accounts dumped on you. You would like to yourself, 'ok, I have about 70 now, there is no way they can give me more...' then WHAM, you got more.

Advice to Management

Pay better, value your employees more, they work really hard. Don't stress if someone needs to take an appointment during work hours, making them enter PTO for this is just rediculous and shows you have no trust in employees.

Jun 23, 2015Director of Client Services

It sounds as though your overall experience was positive and you enjoyed working with your team; thank you for your review and point of view. We appreciate anyone that takes out time to provide us ... More

Horrible Culture. Dishonest Business Practices. No Desire to Change.

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing

Pros

If you have zero experience in an office setting / professional environment, you can get your foot in the door here.

They offer a solid healthcare plan that is paid 100% for the employee (0% for family), but honestly the insanely low starting pay and infrequent opportunities for wage increases or advancement kind of negate this one.

With insanely high employee turnover* at the Santa Clara office, you have 100% job security / a lot of leeway with policies as long as you are competent

*Don't let the management responses about a low turnover rate trick you; I challenge them to share stats on the % of employees in Santa Clara who have been employed there for 3+ years, and the % of turnover over that same time period.

Cons

Why bother restating what's already been said?

Basically, the company operates on the whim of the President, and her husband the CEO. They are fairly transparent about the fact that short-term revenue growth is their top priority, which is why you will see the phrase "fastest growing company" as a defense in the management responses (they're very proud about that). Sadly, this ignores the fact that short-term revenue growth doesn't translate into long-term success, and certainly doesn't translate into a quality work environment.

They truly optimize the old saying that "talk is cheap," as promises about coming improvements to the company's products, services, and internal policies will be often repeated, but rarely delivered on.

The place is a career sinkhole, and long-term success here depends on your ability to ignore a menagerie of bad business practices that are designed to drive short-term, unsustainable growth.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're obviously running the business exactly as you see fit; however, please stop posting fake reviews here... it's fairly obvious when it's you, and you should at least give people the chance to come to work for you with realistic expectations.

Underpaid, overworked, and treated like you are disposable.

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing

Pros

There are no pros working for Milestone.

Cons

Where to begin? Milestone runs off the poor business practices and ethics of the Aggarwals. If you ever have the displeasure of working here be prepared to have your morals challenged as you will see clients getting over charged (and when reported to the CEO, Anil, he will not give them a refund) and clients not getting the services they paid for as Milestones internal tools are riddled with bugs.

Instead of using known and effective products Milestone will make an internal product for their service teams to use. While in normal companies creating in house tools is regarded highly as SAAS tools can produce high ROI, however Milestones version is created on a budget and launched prematurely as a full product when in fact it is still in beta. Hence why the tools are prone to having many bugs. Even though the tools don't work (and the bugs have been reported multiple times with no fixes in sight) be prepared to be blamed and put down by upper management when clients are unhappy.

Also, don't be fooled when the upper management claims they are restructuring or that they had to make a change in processes because of growth and that's what is causing all the current issues. The issues are long term and stem way deeper in Milestone.

One of the main issues is that they cannot retain employees long term so Milestone is constantly trying to rework their systems with the remaining employees in which the remaining employees will be given the workload of those who left but unfortunately none of the pay that goes along with it.

On top of all the issues with the tools and business practices, the employees are treated poorly by upper management. Everyone is made to feel disposable and ones hard work will never be acknowledged or compensated. The only time raises and title changes are given is when people threaten to leave.

Due to the fact that people are not treated well it creates an extremely negative work culture as no one ever seems happy to be at work making the days long and miserable.

Milestone tries to play if off like the employees are unappreciative of all the benefits they give to employees but NEWS FLASH check any other company in the bay area. The benefits offered by Milestone are sub par at best. Everyone offers full medical and dental, your quarterly activities are a joke, and phantom stock is pointless.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you would want to be treated and in return your employees will care about your company and would stay long term and help work through the bugs and issues instead of leaving as soon as a new opportunity presents itself.

Also, if you spend a little extra money to make your tools work and service your clients better and you'll have less client turnover as well.

In addition, pay heed to what is written on Glassdoor! Stop being on the defense about your company and listen to the criticism and make it constructive so you can turn your company around before you run it further into the ground.

Mar 16, 2015CEO

We regret that your experience was not great and wish we had an opportunity to make it better while you were at Milestone. Milestone is a high-performance, fast-paced environment and while we strive ... More

Don't invest in a company that doesn't invest in you.

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual attire, free alcohol on occasion (to help cope with the misery), and fellow employees who feel your pain.

Cons

Surprised you found a position that required no job experience? You should be. Milestone hires fresh out of college employees for one reason only- cheap labor. Keep looking elsewhere. At Milestone you will be ignored, you will be shut out, you will be talked down to, and degraded both publicly and privately. You will be seen only as a workhorse rather than a valued contributor or even an employee. Oh, and there's no legitimate HR so good luck voicing your concerns.

Because turn-over here is so high, you will have to take on at least one other person's entire responsibilities with no promotion (whether as a title change or compensation). I'm sure the staged review that responds to this shortly will mention Milestone has a record low turnover rate- this is a lie. There are very few people who stick with the company for more than a year. That growth opportunity they preach about? There's a reason they can't hire senior level employees- they quickly realize how disorganized and misguided the company actually is and leave. Sure, about half of the management (maybe 5 of the 10) have been with the company for more than a few years, but that's because they're the only employees that are actually paid a decent wage in the 4th most expensive place to live in the United States. Their luxury vehicles will show you just how much...

If and when you finally crack and let your superior know there is too much on your plate (i.e. 80 hour work weeks), you'll be told that you have a problem with time management and that if you can't get your job done within 8am-5pm, it's your problem (note: these positions are salary with no comp. time).

Don't waste your time on mediocre job experience. While Milestone may preach about "full circle knowledge" and everyone getting an opportunity to learn the tricks of the trade, you will be subjected to whatever niche you fell into because the last person walked out. Unfulfilled promises are Milestone's strong suit.

I'm sure one of the executives or select "favorites" will respond to this review, just like most other negative reviews. Please remember: these "disgruntled employees" on Glassdoor aren't lazy employees with poor work ethic, they're workers just like me who gave it their all and yet still weren’t good enough. The expectations at Milestone are so unachievable that employees begin to believe there is something wrong with themselves when in reality they are sabotaged by the unfit management and unrealistic work environment infecting the company.

This review not only reflects my personal experience, but countless other former and current employees who struggled alongside me and understand the frustrations and realities of working for this company. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and realize where the company is headed if you don't change your ways.

Get ready to work really hard!

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment, and great group of employees.

Cons

CEO/Founder- good luck- pain in the butt to deal with

Advice to Management

More growth opportunities for the employees

Good opportunity for quick growth

Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of room for quick growth at this organization. If you need more experience under your belt, you will learn a lot in a short time. If you have more experience, put in the work and you'll be noticed.

Sure, there are a lot of negative reviews on here, but you get out of this place what you put in. Work hard and reap the rewards.

Also - great co-workers!

Cons

The workload can vary day to day. Learn to switch gears quickly and multitask to succeed.

Advice to Management

Focus more energy on employee wellness (based on other reviews)

Mar 20, 2014Director of Social Media

Thank you for your comments. We definitely encourage learning, and try to reward hard work with growth opportunities. If you have ideas on how we can continue to focus on employee wellness please ... More

Terrible, terrible place--Run away as fast as you can!

Former Employee - E-strategist/Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some great people while working here, and we all got out together!

Cons

The turnover rate is insane--I was here for about 6 months, and in that time, I saw 13 people (of a staff of barely double that) leave. Senior management is awful (specifically the president who does not care about her employees and treats all like disposable items), the work-life balance is beyond horrific, no potential for growth, and you gain "experience" but only the type on paper. I cannot quantify any skills that I learned while at Milestone. I took the position because I was desperate for a job, and regretted the decision for the entire time I worked there. All the "innovative" systems that the company was coming up with could have been done with other tools in a more seamless fashion. The theory at Milestone is "work harder, not smarter."

Potential future employees--run away, and run away fast! Even if you are desperate, you can make more and gain more real experience elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Foster growth in employees, train better and smarter, and finally--pull your head out of the clouds and realize what is going on in your company. No one wants to work for a place that works all employees to death, then hardly recognizes achievements.

One Step Forward, tHREE sTEPS bACK

Former Employee - Department Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Department Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Maybe the updated “image” of the CEO on here, and the corrected industry (from Linens?) means change is coming. That would be one good thing.

Cons

a. Employees often hear the theme of asking for help when needed. When they do, they are reprimanded. Either told you didn’t look into the issue hard enough yourself or that others are too busy with other tasks or meetings to assist.
    b Executive team show favoritism and employees are often called out in group setting
    C promotion to team lead often quickly; yet only to those willing to carry out the execs vision without any personal input. Team leads are expected to align their vision with management on all employee matters, regardless of their insight.

Advice to Management

It would help to treat all employees equally and respectfully. If certain departments are underperforming, don’t overlook them, identify the cause within.
    2. hand gestures used to hurry presenters along during meetings is very disrespectful

Let's sell the dream...and service a nightmare

Former Employee - Account Manager/E-strategist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/E-strategist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Lots of great ideas, tons of innovative brainstorming, everyone finds their niche and becomes an expert in what they like.
    There are specialty and support teams you can join over time.
    This company definitely has a lot of potential in providing the best hospitality representation on the web in all aspects of online marketing.
    Some of the brightest people I have met work here, and they are very passionate about what they do.
    There are team meetings about company innovations and latest industry trends.
    Senior management is very dedicated to success and smart in dealing with other businesses during decision making process, although - need some help with implementation internally ( I think, they are still working on it).

Cons

Execution is a challenge when everyone is an idea generator driven by one decision maker. There is definitely lack of communication and collaboration between what ideas are to be implemented and by when, what sales will be selling and whether the product has been tested, and it leaves the service team in trouble.There are no clear targets or long term goals.

Operations team has an abundance of tools to manage clients, the problem is, to be effective - they need only one.There is no one place where you can look up everything about an account , which makes account management very difficult.As a result - team members often feel overwhelmed, overworked and under-appreciated, because they have to spend a lot of time looking up things and filling in manually information that should be available at a glimpse.

There are a lot of negative reviews about the environment. Environment is what you surround yourself with and you are part of it, stop being a victim. If you do not like working here and you are so miserable, it is a free country – get up and leave. I do not think it is fare to make other people miserable with you.There are a lot of people who stay positive and come up with ways to improve the operations, just like any company experiencing a sudden growth – it is a challenge. I wish them all the success.
    (Yes, I have seen a lot worse)

There is no certification or further career development program , with the amount of different services they provide, I have not seen team members attend seminars or get professional certifications encouraged by the company.

Advice to Management

Be proactive not reactive: there is no time to invent, please invest into a good account management system for your team that is proven and works, you will get rid of a lot of frustration in a work place and make it effective.
    If you made a decision and communicated to everyone, please stick to it.
    You are no longer a start up , you are fully functioning successful agency - be one.

RSS Feed </> Embed