Milk Studios Reviews

3.2
CEO

1. Great company thats continually growth focused

I have been working at Milk Studios full-time

Pros

Growing, Exciting environment, transparent management

Cons

Overall Milk is an amazing company that allows employees to add creative input.

2. Internship waste of time and pretentious staff

I worked at Milk Studios

Pros

Beautiful office and opportunities to see celebrities

Cons

Horrible environment, condescending staff make you do tedious and painful manual labor while they basically sit and do nothing. I traveled two hours every day to this job for them to tell me they were taking other options after they initially told me I would be hired as a freelancer. INCREDIBLY RACIST STAFF. Horrible individuals I would not recommend to my worst enemy

Advice to Management

Instead of worrying about if office supplies are filled you should take more time to be human beings instead of treating your interns as slaves.

Internship is a waste of time

I have been working at Milk Studios

Pros

. Free coffee . Free food ( it wasn't the best ) . Seeing fashion brands shoot . Seeing celebs

Cons

. Long tiring hours . UNPAID . Used for free work . Guilt tripped if you leave when you are supposed to . Rude staff . Pretentious environment . " freelance opportunities " are a false promise . They basically make you do all the hard work while the actual staff just sit in front of their computers and think they are doing you the duty of letting you empty trash cans and clean the bathrooms.

Advice to Management

Treat your interns with some respect and learn about them. I am a professional photographer and not once have they asked what I do or if I shoot photos or what I'm willing to get out the internship. You claim that ALL interns are the current staff, but they look at you like you have 20 heads if an intern has a question to ask about something regarding studio equipment or anything in general.

5. Milk is an amazing balance of professionalism and fun—a great learning and contributory atmosphere.

Former Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Milk Studios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always something exciting and innovative going on. You constantly feel as if you're a part of something. The talent and staff are encouraging and there's always room to grow and develop ideas.

Cons

The company seems to be distracted in their hiring process as well as keeping their better employees happy. There's definitely a disconnect within the sections of Milk, most notably between the growth of the company's relevance during fashion week to the time after. It's easy to feel overlooked after a task or job is completed.

Advice to Management

Consider reaching out to part time employees or freelancers that you're interested in remaining a part of the company.

6. Part time fashion week internship

Former Employee - Internship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internship in New York, NY

I worked at Milk Studios part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They manage the students and interns time effectively and make sure that you know what you should be doing and at what time. This also means that they expect the interns to ask questions so that everyone knows what they are doing. They don't (fairly) tolerate any tardiness.

Cons

As in every working space there are persons you work better than with others. But overall great experience.

7. Studio staff - cool place, terrible work

I worked at Milk Studios

Pros

The place itself is very cool - as are many of the people you meet there. The photo industry itself it pretty ridiculous, you can expect to see all kinds of craziness.

Cons

The job sucks. Long, tiring hours. Constant criticism is the daily norm. Terrible office politics - management is full of petty and self-important blowhards.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. You're managing studio space for people to take pictures, not changing the world.

alot of false promises coming from the EQ Room..horrible souless workers in that area

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Milk Studios part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to see how things are done on the high end side of the photography world..I did alot of hard labor for this company such as cleaning the studio / taking out the trash / carrying backdrops allover the studio ( i was part of the equipment room ),,alot of grunt work that goes largely unnoticed but worth it because I got to observed Annie Leibovitz work with the Kardashians..Rankin shoot Heidi Klum and so forth...You meet alot of great people along the way who are trying to do the same thing you are, which is nice and alot of the workers in the other departments were very friendly and easy to get along with..Creatively hands down the number one photo studio in Los Angeles. PS getting free lunches and dinners on Fridays were not too shabby

Cons

Alot of false promises..incompetent EQ managers who can't do the math when they ask you to make four 4x4 flags out of one 6x6 flag (I had to laugh when the weekend manager pointed out the guffaw to her ). You get treated horribly in the equipment room, alot of the employees ( not all, there were some great people in the EQ room ) were not happy and they end up taking it out on you.

Advice to Management

The studio manager actually treated me very well, would always come up and say hi, how are you, what are you up to, thanked me when I went and dig errands...cant say the same for the EQ room manager, she definitely needs a lesson in Humanity 101 : how to treat people with respect, because what goes around, comes around

9. Harassing management and staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Milk Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities, if you can get them

Cons

10+ hour days are typical, employees are 'guilt-tripped' if they work any shorter days

10. Rotten on the inside.

I worked at Milk Studios part-time

Pros

Sorry. None. Well, the place looks pretty and if you are a famous photographer or a celebrity, you can expect great service and brown-nosing. Being an employee has no benefits.

Cons

Employees are afraid of the manager. Nobody smiles. People talk dirt behind your back. Manager wants you fired for lying, then actually listens to your side of the story to see that he himself has messed up, etc. The whole hierarchy is fairly messed up. They hire you, promising you to learn a lot with room to grow. And I know that learning means having the initiative to learn, not having anyone teach you, but there's no-one to learn from. People are dissatisfied with their jobs. Whisper so that their manager can't hear them. Egos are not left at the door

Advice to Management

Don't assume people are lying to you. Employees want to learn and prosper, not be afraid to be sacked on the spot.

11. Only glamorous on the outside...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Milk Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The parties are fun, the studios and workspace are beautiful and carry top-of-the-line everything, from studio equipment to kitchen items, the employees get along well and have fun working together.

Cons

Low pay for obscenely long work days - which would be okay except it goes without any type of acknowledgement, compensation or reward - management simply expects it, which leaves no room for a life outside the company. Job offers come with enticing promises of career advancement, which are rarely fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your employees, they work very hard to succeed.

RSS Feed </> Embed