Milk Studios

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing minds at the top

ConsNot very much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance to show you what they can do

It was okay.

ProsYou get to work with lots of well-known designers.

ConsThey are very disorganized towards their interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized.

Young, self-important, condescending staff make for a hostile and thankless environment for interns.

New York, NY

ProsFree lunch. Higher-ups were nice. So were people in other departments (such as equipment).

ConsToxic environment. Staff chose their favorites, but everyone else could feel the disdain--it was palpable.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns are neither disposable, nor machines. If you treat them well, they'll likely be willing to give you their all. My morale was so low that I stopped caring. Who wants to work for people for free, when they essentially treat you like they're doing you a favor by letting you empty trashcans? Get a grip.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Studio staff - cool place, terrible work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe place itself is very cool - as are many of the people you meet there. The photo industry itself it pretty ridiculous, you can expect to see all kinds of craziness.

ConsThe job sucks. Long, tiring hours. Constant criticism is the daily norm. Terrible office politics - management is full of petty and self-important blowhards.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves. You're managing studio space for people to take pictures, not changing the world.

alot of false promises coming from the EQ Room..horrible souless workers in that area

Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou get to see how things are done on the high end side of the photography world..I did alot of hard labor for this company such as cleaning the studio / taking out the trash / carrying backdrops allover the studio ( i was part of the equipment room ),,alot of grunt work that goes largely unnoticed but worth it because I got to observed Annie Leibovitz work with the Kardashians..Rankin shoot Heidi Klum and so forth...You meet alot of great people along the way who are trying to do the same thing you are, which is nice and alot of the workers in the other departments were very friendly and easy to get along with..Creatively hands down the number one photo studio in Los Angeles. PS getting free lunches and dinners on Fridays were not too shabby

ConsAlot of false promises..incompetent EQ managers who can't do the math when they ask you to make four 4x4 flags out of one 6x6 flag (I had to laugh when the weekend manager pointed out the guffaw to her ). You get treated horribly in the equipment room, alot of the employees ( not all, there were some great people in the EQ room ) were not happy and they end up taking it out on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe studio manager actually treated me very well, would always come up and say hi, how are you, what are you up to, thanked me when I went and dig errands...cant say the same for the EQ room manager, she definitely needs a lesson in Humanity 101 : how to treat people with respect, because what goes around, comes around

Harassing management and staff

Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood opportunities, if you can get them

Cons10+ hour days are typical, employees are 'guilt-tripped' if they work any shorter days

Rotten on the inside.

Los Angeles, CA

ProsSorry. None. Well, the place looks pretty and if you are a famous photographer or a celebrity, you can expect great service and brown-nosing. Being an employee has no benefits.

ConsEmployees are afraid of the manager. Nobody smiles. People talk dirt behind your back. Manager wants you fired for lying, then actually listens to your side of the story to see that he himself has messed up, etc. The whole hierarchy is fairly messed up. They hire you, promising you to learn a lot with room to grow. And I know that learning means having the initiative to learn, not having anyone teach you, but there's no-one to learn from. People are dissatisfied with their jobs. Whisper so that their manager can't hear them. Egos are not left at the door

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume people are lying to you. Employees want to learn and prosper, not be afraid to be sacked on the spot.

Only glamorous on the outside...

West Hollywood, CA

ProsThe parties are fun, the studios and workspace are beautiful and carry top-of-the-line everything, from studio equipment to kitchen items, the employees get along well and have fun working together.

ConsLow pay for obscenely long work days - which would be okay except it goes without any type of acknowledgement, compensation or reward - management simply expects it, which leaves no room for a life outside the company.
    Job offers come with enticing promises of career advancement, which are rarely fulfilled.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to your employees, they work very hard to succeed.

Lots of glam, low pay

New York, NY

ProsSurrounded by models, killer parties, great work space, many of the photo assistants are great people to work and hang out with.

Consthe pay is pretty low compared to how much the company is making, management can be incompetent at times, long hours.

Advice to Senior Managementpay the people that are doing the work, don't make rash decisions, realize that people have lives outside of milk.

Worked for Milk Studios? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Milk Studios reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Milk Studios employees.