Milk Studios

CEO

Hardworking but tough Internship

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Milk Studios as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Gain Knowledge of studio equipment and working enviornment

Cons

Long Hours, no time for questions, division between employees and intern relationship

More interest in intern development

There is a lot of variety within the work environment. It is a great place to make connections.

I worked at Milk Studios as a contractor

Pros

The company is located in a great location and has many different departments with which you interact.

Cons

Sometimes job titles are a bit vague, therefore breeding some confusion.

Internship is a waste of time

I have been working at Milk Studios

Pros

. Free coffee
    . Free food ( it wasn't the best )
    . Seeing fashion brands shoot
    . Seeing celebs

Cons

. Long tiring hours
    . UNPAID
    . Used for free work
    . Guilt tripped if you leave when you are supposed to
    . Rude staff
    . Pretentious environment
    . " freelance opportunities " are a false promise
    . They basically make you do all the hard work while the actual staff just sit in front of their computers and think they are doing you the duty of letting you empty trash cans and clean the bathrooms.

Treat your interns with some respect and learn about them. I am a professional photographer and not once have they asked what I do or if I shoot photos or what I'm willing to get out the internship. You claim that ALL interns are the current staff, but they look at you like you have 20 heads if an intern has a question to ask about something regarding studio equipment or anything in general.

Milk is an amazing balance of professionalism and fun—a great learning and contributory atmosphere.

Former Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Milk Studios part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is always something exciting and innovative going on. You constantly feel as if you're a part of something. The talent and staff are encouraging and there's always room to grow and develop ideas.

Cons

The company seems to be distracted in their hiring process as well as keeping their better employees happy. There's definitely a disconnect within the sections of Milk, most notably between the growth of the company's relevance during fashion week to the time after. It's easy to feel overlooked after a task or job is completed.

Consider reaching out to part time employees or freelancers that you're interested in remaining a part of the company.

Part time fashion week internship

Former Employee - Internship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internship in New York, NY

I worked at Milk Studios part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They manage the students and interns time effectively and make sure that you know what you should be doing and at what time. This also means that they expect the interns to ask questions so that everyone knows what they are doing. They don't (fairly) tolerate any tardiness.

Cons

As in every working space there are persons you work better than with others. But overall great experience.

Rewarding

I worked at Milk Studios as a contractor

Pros

Amazing minds at the top

Cons

Not very much room for growth

Give people a chance to show you what they can do

It was okay.

I have been working at Milk Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with lots of well-known designers.

Cons

They are very disorganized towards their interns.

Be more organized.

Young, self-important, condescending staff make for a hostile and thankless environment for interns.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Milk Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch. Higher-ups were nice. So were people in other departments (such as equipment).

Cons

Toxic environment. Staff chose their favorites, but everyone else could feel the disdain--it was palpable.

Interns are neither disposable, nor machines. If you treat them well, they'll likely be willing to give you their all. My morale was so low that I stopped caring. Who wants to work for people for free, when they essentially treat you like they're doing you a favor by letting you empty trashcans? Get a grip.

Studio staff - cool place, terrible work

I worked at Milk Studios

Pros

The place itself is very cool - as are many of the people you meet there. The photo industry itself it pretty ridiculous, you can expect to see all kinds of craziness.

Cons

The job sucks. Long, tiring hours. Constant criticism is the daily norm. Terrible office politics - management is full of petty and self-important blowhards.

Get over yourselves. You're managing studio space for people to take pictures, not changing the world.

alot of false promises coming from the EQ Room..horrible souless workers in that area

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Milk Studios part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to see how things are done on the high end side of the photography world..I did alot of hard labor for this company such as cleaning the studio / taking out the trash / carrying backdrops allover the studio ( i was part of the equipment room ),,alot of grunt work that goes largely unnoticed but worth it because I got to observed Annie Leibovitz work with the Kardashians..Rankin shoot Heidi Klum and so forth...You meet alot of great people along the way who are trying to do the same thing you are, which is nice and alot of the workers in the other departments were very friendly and easy to get along with..Creatively hands down the number one photo studio in Los Angeles. PS getting free lunches and dinners on Fridays were not too shabby

Cons

Alot of false promises..incompetent EQ managers who can't do the math when they ask you to make four 4x4 flags out of one 6x6 flag (I had to laugh when the weekend manager pointed out the guffaw to her ). You get treated horribly in the equipment room, alot of the employees ( not all, there were some great people in the EQ room ) were not happy and they end up taking it out on you.

The studio manager actually treated me very well, would always come up and say hi, how are you, what are you up to, thanked me when I went and dig errands...cant say the same for the EQ room manager, she definitely needs a lesson in Humanity 101 : how to treat people with respect, because what goes around, comes around