Millennial Media

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
2.4

Michael Barrett

company in cultural shift - for the better

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is that you are working with really goods technical people and good managers and most of the technical managers in operations are both. People are valued. They are communicated with. The CEO is doing the right things to correct and shift focus post merger. The culture is shifting and the comfortable existence some employees had in the past is disappearing, because you are expected to actually do what you say you can do.

Fo some people that's hard. I find it exciting and I find myself technically growing and challenged

Cons

If you want a sinecure, go elsewhere. The culture no longer supports that.

Make sure peopel stay compensated here and remain - 2% raises? come on, we'll leave out of necessity in three years.

Bad place for a career minded professional , especially women

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Millennial Media for more than 3 years

Pros

Free soft drinks and fruit.

Cons

It's a total boys club. Career growth is nonexistent for most but especially women. There are no female managers or above throughout the whole tech organization. Scrum teams have managers on them that basically negate the whole concept of scrum. Innovation died when products were shelved and innovative teams broken up. Most talented tech and product folks left . Morale is super low.

Work is often undone and started over without taking Into considerations previous direction , reasons why decisions were made..basically start over? Don't learn on past experience fail and fail again.

Stop with the org changes, value the talent you have, use a solid hiring process with real tech interviews and tests, focus on closing the gender gap, don't dismiss folks that left and their exit interviews. You might learn valuable info from people that left.

Just wow

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've never seen a company fall apart so quick.

Cons

This whole charade probably won't last much longer.

Get out while you can.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the pros sadly are from before the co-founder and CTO left. When I started it was listed in Baltimore magazine as one of the best places to work in the area -- not anymore! I suppose you still get a reasonable salary with some nice perks (free drinks, etc.) You also work with some really good people -- although many of the best people left or are leaving after the management shakeup. To be fair the company used to be so good that I suppose it makes the current state of the company seem that much worse.

Cons

After the co-founder and CTO left they went through a series of frankly bad moves. First they fired all of the tech managers (including the people in charge of QA.) This caused quality to seriously drop. So they bought a much less successful company from Boston and had their people replace all of the managers they just fired. The new managers wanted to try to replace all of the Baltimore tech (not perfect but was well tested and is making most of our revenue) with Boston tech (many problems and frankly some parts don't work at all.) We basically spent 6 months trying to put features that were already in the Baltimore tech into the Boston tech (and in most cases the resultant product wasn't as well engineered as what was always in the Baltimore tech.) They are now backing off that position but the damage has been done. A huge amount of the best people who knew the most about the Baltimore tech have now left the company (Baltimore tech is still making the lion's share of the revenue and the Boston tech cannot replace it without serious work and maybe even a re-write.) The people who are left are going to have to take years to relearn how everything works. If you ask "does anyone know anything about such and such software from the Baltimore tech?" and you get a lot of "no, everyone who did left." I think they can probably recover from this but it will likely take quite a while (in the mean time the company's competitors haven't exactly stopped innovating.)

Maybe you should check to see if a company's algorithms actually work before you buy them; not after you buy them, place all of the people at the new company in charge of technology, and then have them try to replace all of your tech with their tech (thus forcing many of your best people to find other companies.)

Where common sense goes to die.

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are pockets of smart, talented and inventive people who want to make a difference and do amazing things. The culture created by the employees is strong, far stronger than the one the company tries to push.

Cons

Poor communication internally, even non-existent at times.
    Utter lack of direction since the merger. There has been zero integration plan to date. No one is taking responsibility either which is baffling to see at the senior exec level. Where is the accountability?
    Engineers are leaving in record numbers, can't get necessary work done to operate efficiently or potentially scale. There is a general inability to attract solid talent which is a vicious cycle. We have far more attrition than anyone can keep up with.
    The identity of the company since the merger seems in question. The Baltimore HQ no longer has the weight it used to but those here haven't fully recognized that.
    Career pathing isn't a focus in most orgs. It depends on the individual managers to make something out of nothing in that regard. Be more aggressive about cutting the under performers. There are too many hanging on and being mediocre and it's poisoning the environment for those who perform.

Get an integration plan before you lose any more good talent. Give employees a reason to be invested in the company. Show more interest in the employees. Truly create a culture of accountability and let common sense rule. Execs need to take responsibility for the missteps thus far and show a strategic plan moving forward.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here.

In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months.

I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices.

I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

Cons

The company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.

Leadership manages up

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Embrace open technologies, nice, but low value perks, like ice cream days half day summer Fridays

Cons

Leadership only seems to manage up, compensation was significantly worse then previous jab and tanking stock really hurts

Could be great but lacking leadership

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with some really nice people. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Communication throughout the company is not good. Direction and leadership is poor. Continually ask for work from my manager and get nothing. I am told I am doing a great job, but feel that I am completely underutilized.

Slightly better than working retail

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Free breakfast (a 1-5 dollar daily value, if you like their selection)
    Nice interior design
    Crazy holiday parties
    Non-management personnel generally nice

Cons

Little or no training
    Compensation generally in the lowest quarter of the software industry
    Management clueless or indifferent to promises of pay, promotion, advancement
    Time off seems to be limited to paid time off which is very little
    Work from home nonexistent, unless you're management (used to exist)
    Advancement can only be achieved by leaving and finding work elsewhere

Advice to board of directors: Sack these managers before you lose all your key people and acquire even more technical debt.

People really don't come first

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Sometimes there is leeway to do things how you'd like

Cons

There is huge lack of standards at this company, and at times a huge gap in process documentation. What this means for you is that quality initiatives are often going to be driven by you alone with direction, appreciation, or sometimes even the knowledge that you have done or attempted anything worthwhile. So in essence, there will often be times that you fix something horrifically wrong, and mostly you get punished for it. You get no raise, often little pat on the back or recognition...AND now you own that process on top of whatever workload you already had. You might get better job security, but that's it.

Reward the people that build things. Paul Palmieri finished up with huge bonuses and can effectively retire. Did he contribute to one winning algorithm that allows systems to function well? There's plenty he did sure, but the techs are not simply process people...they are engineers creating the products that win the money, and that process has to run consistently for success.

And yet, most of those people have been poached by other companies, or left due to issues with the new upper management, which has a history of changing every year or so. So, you can decide for yourself whether this sounds stable. To a laymen in the tech industry, when you switch upper management yearly...that screams instability.

Sometimes, a company "grows" in order to mask much deeper issues, that gone unresolved will bring destruction along. As advertising views become cheaper and cheaper (and they will) the long term plan for this company looks bleak. They spend on big construction projects for office space and training and building of systems that offer at best imprecise benefits.

Unless you've consumed a lot of kool aid, you don't believe all the good stories about about what is happening, because with a staff between 500-1000, there is too little good shared and the bad and negative problems are never discussed unless you're the person with direct exposure.

Worked for Millennial Media? Contribute to the Community!