Millennial Media

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.6

Michael Barrett

We are shaping the Mobile landscape

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

The mobility, agility, work ethics, and innovativeness of the company.

Cons

Business arms can be aligned more closely.

Love the great things that we are doing, however, we can be more much agile and focused at becoming a force in the Mobile landscape.

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All the engineer here are smart, friendly and helpful. You can learn a lot as a freash man to this industry.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind for now. Maybe, the new hire should also get some expense benefit as the old emploee.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here.

In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months.

I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices.

I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

Cons

The company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.

The company is what you make of it (in a good way)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In a very fast-moving work environment, there are countless opportunities to grow and to find new ways to get involved and grow your skill set. Here, the main focus seems to be on how to make the company better, and make yourself better in the process. It's a fun place to work and really provides opportunities for me that I've never had before. I've never felt so in control of what I can accomplish.

Everyone seems to be very willing to cooperate with one another, and it's always fun to tackle a problem head on with so many intelligent and interesting people. There really seems to be a good cross-section of people here from a lot of different backgrounds and with a lot of different mindsets. It's refreshing to be able to hear so many different opinions in a room, and work together to find what will work the best. Nothing seems to be fully out of bounds, and creativity is encouraged.

Reading some of the other reviews, I can understand that the "culture" here may not seem to be for everyone, but I'd encourage anyone to make his or her own decision about that. It's really a different kind of company here, and a place where people aren’t afraid to try new things: It’s a unique experience that's worth a look. I'm really happy I came here, and think others would be as well.

Cons

Cross-company communication is a possible area for improvement, just like at any rapidly-growing company. Great strides are being made now to address this already, so keep up the good work and encourage the team atmosphere that’s really been coming on more recently.

Celebrate the diversity of the opinions of the company more, just like recent changes are doing now. Everything's heading in a great direction. Employees may just need a little push to build more confidence and find their own voice within the company.

Unlimited Growth Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My personal experience is one of unlimited growth potential. Employees that are willing to put in above average effort are very much appreciated and rewarded. Internal promotions are frequent. The benefits are good, free dental, 401k match, plus a lot of other small perks.

Cons

Performance management process could use improvement.

Empower employees to make decisions with minimal approval processes. Encourage growth and offer training to grow within the company.

company in cultural shift - for the better

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is that you are working with really goods technical people and good managers and most of the technical managers in operations are both. People are valued. They are communicated with. The CEO is doing the right things to correct and shift focus post merger. The culture is shifting and the comfortable existence some employees had in the past is disappearing, because you are expected to actually do what you say you can do.

Fo some people that's hard. I find it exciting and I find myself technically growing and challenged

Cons

If you want a sinecure, go elsewhere. The culture no longer supports that.

Make sure peopel stay compensated here and remain - 2% raises? come on, we'll leave out of necessity in three years.

Fast paced good environment

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

It was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

Cons

The demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

SDE

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

Get opportunities to work on projects, QA gets the opportunities to learn coding

Cons

you have to be very aggressive about what you want to do , otherwise you will end up with QA(automation work) as a SDE

Fast paced tech company that works for some, not for others

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location is perfect for young professionals.

Cons

Work life ratio isn't that hot, put in a lot of hours.

A decent experience but go elsewhere if given the opportunity for other internships.

Current Employee - Software Intern
    Current Employee - Software Intern

I have been working at Millennial Media as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are very friendly.

Cons

Didn't feel like I had much opportunity to advance.