Millennial Media

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Barrett

Great place to work!

ProsI've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here.

In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months.

I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices.

I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

ConsThe company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.

The company is what you make of it (in a good way)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsIn a very fast-moving work environment, there are countless opportunities to grow and to find new ways to get involved and grow your skill set. Here, the main focus seems to be on how to make the company better, and make yourself better in the process. It's a fun place to work and really provides opportunities for me that I've never had before. I've never felt so in control of what I can accomplish.

Everyone seems to be very willing to cooperate with one another, and it's always fun to tackle a problem head on with so many intelligent and interesting people. There really seems to be a good cross-section of people here from a lot of different backgrounds and with a lot of different mindsets. It's refreshing to be able to hear so many different opinions in a room, and work together to find what will work the best. Nothing seems to be fully out of bounds, and creativity is encouraged.

Reading some of the other reviews, I can understand that the "culture" here may not seem to be for everyone, but I'd encourage anyone to make his or her own decision about that. It's really a different kind of company here, and a place where people aren’t afraid to try new things: It’s a unique experience that's worth a look. I'm really happy I came here, and think others would be as well.

ConsCross-company communication is a possible area for improvement, just like at any rapidly-growing company. Great strides are being made now to address this already, so keep up the good work and encourage the team atmosphere that’s really been coming on more recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate the diversity of the opinions of the company more, just like recent changes are doing now. Everything's heading in a great direction. Employees may just need a little push to build more confidence and find their own voice within the company.

Unlimited Growth Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsMy personal experience is one of unlimited growth potential. Employees that are willing to put in above average effort are very much appreciated and rewarded. Internal promotions are frequent. The benefits are good, free dental, 401k match, plus a lot of other small perks.

ConsPerformance management process could use improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions with minimal approval processes. Encourage growth and offer training to grow within the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced good environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

ConsThe demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

SDE

ProsGet opportunities to work on projects, QA gets the opportunities to learn coding

Consyou have to be very aggressive about what you want to do , otherwise you will end up with QA(automation work) as a SDE

Fast paced tech company that works for some, not for others

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLocation is perfect for young professionals.

ConsWork life ratio isn't that hot, put in a lot of hours.

A decent experience but go elsewhere if given the opportunity for other internships.

Software Intern (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are very friendly.

ConsDidn't feel like I had much opportunity to advance.

Good

Software Developer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsInnovative company, Growing fast. Friendly collegue.

ConsA lot of work pressure. City is not good

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Developer (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLow stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

ConsAn unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

Rapid Industry Change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExperienced employees, average-above average salary, physically clean and healthy office environment. Phenomenal job recruiting talent and reorganizing its structure, but continue to lose value people.

ConsPublicly traded, Wall Street loathed ad tech vertical that relies on arbitrage revenue model, extremely fast changing and consolidating industry, over diversified, efficiency killing product offering.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on management, more on product understanding.

Worked for Millennial Media? Contribute to the Community!