Millennial Media

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.6

Michael Barrett

Good Company. Bad Benefits.

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

Great business. Good work culture. Management is very visible and involved. Really seems like everyone is on the same team.

Cons

Horrible benefits for a company of it's size. No 401k matching. Limited number of vacation days. Health care benefits could be better.

In the competitive market of technology companies benefits are sometimes the only thing keeping people at a company. If management wants to retain employees they need to expand their benefits greatly.

A decent experience but go elsewhere if given the opportunity for other internships.

Current Employee - Software Intern
    Current Employee - Software Intern

I have been working at Millennial Media as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are very friendly.

Cons

Didn't feel like I had much opportunity to advance.

A Tough Road for the Information Technology Employee

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mobile usage is on the rise, which puts Millennial directly in the center as the 3rd biggest, and largest independent player in the rapidly evolving mobile advertising space, directly competing with Apple and Google. You have the opportunity to have your skills pushed in directions that won't happen at more established employers, and to network with other motivated people within the space.

Cons

The emperor has no clothes when it comes to the "Millennial Experience;" the benefits are nearly non-existent, change is quick and reactionary, and if you're in IT, you will be in a position to always take the blame, and never the credit.

Quit talking about how great the company, the culture, and its opportunities are, and offer up the benefits that can easily be found elsewhere in the DC/Baltimore area. The IPO's over, and the stock options granted even recent pre-IPO employee hires were nothing to write home about.

You need to clean house on IT management and directly and adequately address low employee morale, which the engagement survey(s) clearly illustrate(d); this does not mean more happy hours, ping pong tournaments, or anything else that does not sufficiently address employee satisfaction.

Technology management hasn't a clue about how their operation is currently run, let alone how it should be run, and is full of toxic managers that only manage up, whom are only interested in pleasing important players in the company, while pushing all the blame and work down, yielding, at times, a pretty pathetic work-life balance.

Take note of the other people within the company, outside of IT, who seemed to be pretty happy, and upwardly mobile.

Millennial could have been a really stellar place to work, but instead, senior management has decided to put their heads in the sand, instead of providing a truly great place to work; they will just say how great the place is over and over as loud as they can, with pretty graphics and gimmicks.

So much potential but so toxic

I worked at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

The vast majority of the people at Millennial are excellent, fun, and hard working individuals. The company is well positioned externally in the industry and is growing fast. Location of headquarters is great in the fun neighborhood of Canton in Baltimore.

So much potential for the company to expand it's market share and do something really special.

Cons

It all starts with leadership. There is a culture of not being able to question anything, especially anything from Paul. You have to constantly walk around him (and his people) on egg shells, afraid that the wrong comment or action can lead to forever being in the dog house.

It's hard to get a grip on where the company is going. Lots of talk about high level and aspirational goals, but we might be the worst communicating company on the east coast.

Much talk about culture, but it's non-existant (outside of being afraid to rub Paul or someone else the wrong way). Sure there are the obligatory happy hours, or stocked fridges, but that isn't culture. Culture is something for everyone to align with and believe in. This can't come from HR, has to start with the Exec team.

As others mentioned, benefits are below average. Used to be that you had equity that could be worth something, but a sub $8 stock price and now inflated option prices make this pointless. Not to mention the paltry number of shares most employees received.

Communicate, stop being afraid to say to much incase it impacts what wall street thinks. The employees are starving for direction and inspiration.

Get rid of the secrets, too much behind closed doors. Too much time is spent worrying about what people think. All that does is lead to gossip that I promise you is far worse than the reality. if someone leaves tell people, don't keep it secret for weeks or months.

Stop kicking people when they are down. Comments around Product's failures (not all their fault, Leadership is much to blame) or how Sales should run the organization at the expense of Operations only makes those in the groups on the other end of the comments lose respect and hope. You don't need to bash areas of the company to make others feel empowered, and despite you not saying those things to the other team's faces, they hear about it.

Stop trying to compare yourself with the average company when it comes to benefits, Millennial should be far above average.

Lose the Ego's at the door, stop with the idea that any person or any team is better than any other. Be a TEAM, work together not against each other.

Unlimited Growth Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My personal experience is one of unlimited growth potential. Employees that are willing to put in above average effort are very much appreciated and rewarded. Internal promotions are frequent. The benefits are good, free dental, 401k match, plus a lot of other small perks.

Cons

Performance management process could use improvement.

Empower employees to make decisions with minimal approval processes. Encourage growth and offer training to grow within the company.

The company is what you make of it (in a good way)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In a very fast-moving work environment, there are countless opportunities to grow and to find new ways to get involved and grow your skill set. Here, the main focus seems to be on how to make the company better, and make yourself better in the process. It's a fun place to work and really provides opportunities for me that I've never had before. I've never felt so in control of what I can accomplish.

Everyone seems to be very willing to cooperate with one another, and it's always fun to tackle a problem head on with so many intelligent and interesting people. There really seems to be a good cross-section of people here from a lot of different backgrounds and with a lot of different mindsets. It's refreshing to be able to hear so many different opinions in a room, and work together to find what will work the best. Nothing seems to be fully out of bounds, and creativity is encouraged.

Reading some of the other reviews, I can understand that the "culture" here may not seem to be for everyone, but I'd encourage anyone to make his or her own decision about that. It's really a different kind of company here, and a place where people aren’t afraid to try new things: It’s a unique experience that's worth a look. I'm really happy I came here, and think others would be as well.

Cons

Cross-company communication is a possible area for improvement, just like at any rapidly-growing company. Great strides are being made now to address this already, so keep up the good work and encourage the team atmosphere that’s really been coming on more recently.

Celebrate the diversity of the opinions of the company more, just like recent changes are doing now. Everything's heading in a great direction. Employees may just need a little push to build more confidence and find their own voice within the company.

Great opportunity in huge industry, but absolutely the worst talent level I've ever seen

Current Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are in the right business and people get to work on some really cutting edge stuff. It's also a fun work environment where people enjoy themselves.

Cons

Management, especially CEO Paul are just atrocious. The talent level is abysmal. I've never worked with so many dumb people before. Paul does nothing of value. He's not involved at all in Sales, Product, Tech. He cares more about what color the walls are painted and which band is going to play at the Christmas party. Sets absolutely the wrong tone for the whole company. Everyone leaves at 5pm, no one really gets startup culture and because of that Google will kick their asses on the long run. Also, their tech truly sucks.

Resign, you guys are total jokes and have no business running a company of this size.

Fast paced tech company that works for some, not for others

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location is perfect for young professionals.

Cons

Work life ratio isn't that hot, put in a lot of hours.

Textbook example of how a race to go public blinded and ruined a company.

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

Friendly employees and work environment with relatively good brand recognition in the industry. The offices are pretty cool and are located in nice cities.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Inability to show that they care about employees (no ESPP or stock grants after initial hire date). Expecting a raise? You'll have to ask for one, and then ask again and again. Shady practices to 'hit the numbers' each quarter. You'll likely stay in your position with your title for 3 years. HR can't figure out how to pay bonuses on time.

Put your ego aside and replace yourself with somebody who has experience scaling a company.... a lot of people and their families lives depend upon it.

There is opportunity, just need to have the guts to change

Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best part about Millennial was, is, and will be the people. They are the ones that make working there (when I did) enjoyable. There is some fantastic talent among all of the divisions and a lot of great work that gets done.

Location in Canton is great, the industry segment is growing exponentially, and there are opportunities to grow, but it's all second place to the people.

Cons

There is a lack of communicated vision that is present for the organization. Sure, there are strategic values (Be Mobile?!?) and focus projects. But there isn't a clear vision on what we're doing, how we get there, what we need to do to win.

It's all too high level and dumbed down, the team doing the actual work needs to have a more clear picture of what they need to do to win.

There is so much focus on what we have to do to hit this specific month, and do it at all costs... who cares if the guy working 60 hrs per week is already at his limit, do more to hit the number... and then do it again next month. Part of this is just the fact of being a publicly owned company, but when so much is put onto the back of people, eventually those people are going to burn out.

There isn't enough done around retaining the best employees. As other have mentioned there isn't a lot of proactive raises or promotions that are done. You have to ask, and ask, and then ask again (or hope your manager is good and does that for you) and then get disappointed with a low single digit % increase after 18 months of waiting. If you do decide that you are ready to go, they will tend to attempt to retain you but normally at that point the damage is done, you've already decided to leave.

Final con for me is that the company isn't what it was when it was a 60 person start up when I joined... of course it's not we've gone public. But for those tenured employee's that were there early, it's hard to go from a scrappy start up focusing on just surviving and growing to a publicly owned company that has demands to meet from wall street. Maybe this isn't really a con, but for me it was a large part of why I chose to leave the company.

Take the acquisition of Jumptap to bring on senior executive management (maybe from Jumptap) to help manage the company as what it is, a publicly owned corp, not a start up. Don't hide from the fact of that is what Millennial is, stop trying to squeeze into the tiny pants that you wore in high school, they don't fit any more and Millennial isn't a start up. Sure, this will turn some people off, but long term you will be better as a result.

Spend as much time communicating the vision of the company to the internal employees as you do your investors. Remember if you don't sell the team on where we are going, you're not going to get there, and without the team the investors mean nothing.

Develop a better and proactive employee retention approach. Don't make top performance ask for more money, don't make what they are getting paid relative to other companies in the area a factor. That or prepare to lose more and more of the top talent in the area, there are other companies that are growing just as fast, and some of them have an equity upside still.

I think the other reviews (at least the ones that aren't clearly positive reviews from HR after a negative one) hit on other great points, listen to what they say.