Millennial Media Reviews

2.4

Michael Barrett

Fast paced good environment

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

It was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

Cons

The demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Former Employee - Developer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Low stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

Cons

An unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

It just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

Excellent Tech Startup...for Baltimore

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growing company with some upward mobility.
    Excellent industry to be in.
    Powerhouse compared to other local companies.

Cons

Disappointing level of tech culture.
    Everyone is satisfied with good enough - very few trying to achieve greatness.

I don't think there is much to be done. I think if I was an executive, I'd be pretty pleased with everything thus far, but at the same time, the current trajectory does not point toward a Google type success. They'll be a great tech company in Baltimore, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that - it's just not very exciting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rapid Industry Change

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Experienced employees, average-above average salary, physically clean and healthy office environment. Phenomenal job recruiting talent and reorganizing its structure, but continue to lose value people.

Cons

Publicly traded, Wall Street loathed ad tech vertical that relies on arbitrage revenue model, extremely fast changing and consolidating industry, over diversified, efficiency killing product offering.

Less focus on management, more on product understanding.

No Integrity

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

If you don't know mobile, you'll learn it

Cons

management has no idea how listen to or manage employes

the definition of a successful company is one that assigns clear roles to employees and process to its business. study this

SDE

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

Get opportunities to work on projects, QA gets the opportunities to learn coding

Cons

you have to be very aggressive about what you want to do , otherwise you will end up with QA(automation work) as a SDE

Needs to Improve

Current Employee - Developer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- fast growing industry
      - office is located in a great part of the city
      - most co-workers are intelligent and hard working
      - there are some good leaders here, however the very top of the ladder is negatively impacting their ability to lead

Cons

- stress level is unhealthy
      - executive team does not care to understand day to day efforts of individual contributors
      - the sales team runs the company - tech and other teams are driven by the wishes and desires of sales for better or worse... in the past year + it hasn't worked out well
      - inexplicable leadership decisions
      - poor infrastructure in terms of existing technology
      - inconsistent executive leadership
      - lack of transparency and cohesive communication from the top

You are handing over the keys to the company to employees from another company that was recently acquired. How did the numbers for that company compare to MM? How dependent was that company on one client? Are most of these employees located elsewhere? .... Why would you think this is a good idea? Have more respect for the leaders and employees that got you to where you are.

Create products that work and function as planned. This will keep sales from selling things that don't work (or just making it up as they go).. it will also keep the other teams from having to put out fires with duct tape on an hourly basis.

Try to improve the work life balance. There are people working here that are stressed to the point of it impacting their health on a daily basis. Sometimes it just takes consistent executive leadership and understanding. Also, culture isn't free breakfast... it's much more than that. Figure it out.

Cue the reply to this post from someone at MM within the next 7 days. When you see an obviously pro-MM post after a recent negative one... it wasn't real. FYI.

Staff Accountant

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in, company is growing at a rapid rate, good location, causal dress

Cons

The future is uncertain since this is a start-up company which can be a good and bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

There is opportunity, just need to have the guts to change

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best part about Millennial was, is, and will be the people. They are the ones that make working there (when I did) enjoyable. There is some fantastic talent among all of the divisions and a lot of great work that gets done.

Location in Canton is great, the industry segment is growing exponentially, and there are opportunities to grow, but it's all second place to the people.

Cons

There is a lack of communicated vision that is present for the organization. Sure, there are strategic values (Be Mobile?!?) and focus projects. But there isn't a clear vision on what we're doing, how we get there, what we need to do to win.

It's all too high level and dumbed down, the team doing the actual work needs to have a more clear picture of what they need to do to win.

There is so much focus on what we have to do to hit this specific month, and do it at all costs... who cares if the guy working 60 hrs per week is already at his limit, do more to hit the number... and then do it again next month. Part of this is just the fact of being a publicly owned company, but when so much is put onto the back of people, eventually those people are going to burn out.

There isn't enough done around retaining the best employees. As other have mentioned there isn't a lot of proactive raises or promotions that are done. You have to ask, and ask, and then ask again (or hope your manager is good and does that for you) and then get disappointed with a low single digit % increase after 18 months of waiting. If you do decide that you are ready to go, they will tend to attempt to retain you but normally at that point the damage is done, you've already decided to leave.

Final con for me is that the company isn't what it was when it was a 60 person start up when I joined... of course it's not we've gone public. But for those tenured employee's that were there early, it's hard to go from a scrappy start up focusing on just surviving and growing to a publicly owned company that has demands to meet from wall street. Maybe this isn't really a con, but for me it was a large part of why I chose to leave the company.

Take the acquisition of Jumptap to bring on senior executive management (maybe from Jumptap) to help manage the company as what it is, a publicly owned corp, not a start up. Don't hide from the fact of that is what Millennial is, stop trying to squeeze into the tiny pants that you wore in high school, they don't fit any more and Millennial isn't a start up. Sure, this will turn some people off, but long term you will be better as a result.

Spend as much time communicating the vision of the company to the internal employees as you do your investors. Remember if you don't sell the team on where we are going, you're not going to get there, and without the team the investors mean nothing.

Develop a better and proactive employee retention approach. Don't make top performance ask for more money, don't make what they are getting paid relative to other companies in the area a factor. That or prepare to lose more and more of the top talent in the area, there are other companies that are growing just as fast, and some of them have an equity upside still.

I think the other reviews (at least the ones that aren't clearly positive reviews from HR after a negative one) hit on other great points, listen to what they say.

There are things you should know before you go.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary was competitive. Also at the end of the year, even regular employees may get a bonus. Job title inflation is common, and you will probably get a better title than at other places of employment, which might help in your career.

Cons

Recruitment at the company is fantastic, albeit underhanded. For one, new employees can expect a fancy title. Job title inflation at Millennial Media is rampant. For a small company, one is shocked to find out how many people have the title of “director” or even “vice president”. Engineers who would be called intermediate or mid-level at most other companies are called Senior Engineers at Millennial Media. And Senior Engineers are called Principal Engineers or even “Director”. Recruitment and the company are fantastic at using flair: Christmas parties, happy hours, ping pong tournaments, etc. And the company management sees itself as “cool”, like a want-to-be Apple. I came previously from a rather “ordinary“ employer, and several in management seem to hold me in contempt for this, even going so far as to say that people’s work-ethic at my former place of employment must have been limited.

Agile development is used, but it was an extreme form of agile development. Every 2 weeks the course could be drastically changed. Several times things I were working on were scrapped because of a changed plan, which really lowers morale, as it’s near the equivalent of burning your work. The emphasis seems to be getting software out quickly as possible, as opposed to doing it correctly. The desire for mass-produced software tended to rear its ugly head in the sense that the software teams always seemed to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, either fixing old bugs or getting that must-have feature by Monday. This meant that overtime was the norm instead of the exception. In addition, the desire to get everything done quickly means that old technology is used instead of taking the time to learn new technology. I was rather surprised to find many of the developer’s skills were rather stale.

Management had a “kiss-up,kick-down” sort of mentality. Self-promotion is imperative. Come to Millennial Media as the quiet introvert who works hard behind the scenes and you will get a rude awakening. The floor layout is an open office, and there are no cubicles or private areas to work. Distractions are frequent, as well as meetings. Moreover, the culture at Millennial Media can be very political, and that can be difficult to adjust to if you’re not used to it. Coming from a group that was highly collaborative with a common goal made it very hard to adjust.

While the salary was good, benefits were limited, and the demand for overtime meant that vacation could not be taken even if it were available.

See "cons".

Worked for Millennial Media? Contribute to the Community!