Millennial Media

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.6

Michael Barrett

Could be great but lacking leadership

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some really nice people. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Communication throughout the company is not good. Direction and leadership is poor. Continually ask for work from my manager and get nothing. I am told I am doing a great job, but feel that I am completely underutilized.

Leadership manages up

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Embrace open technologies, nice, but low value perks, like ice cream days half day summer Fridays

Cons

Leadership only seems to manage up, compensation was significantly worse then previous jab and tanking stock really hurts

Slightly better than working retail

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Free breakfast (a 1-5 dollar daily value, if you like their selection)
    Nice interior design
    Crazy holiday parties
    Non-management personnel generally nice

Cons

Little or no training
    Compensation generally in the lowest quarter of the software industry
    Management clueless or indifferent to promises of pay, promotion, advancement
    Time off seems to be limited to paid time off which is very little
    Work from home nonexistent, unless you're management (used to exist)
    Advancement can only be achieved by leaving and finding work elsewhere

Advice to board of directors: Sack these managers before you lose all your key people and acquire even more technical debt.

People really don't come first

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Sometimes there is leeway to do things how you'd like

Cons

There is huge lack of standards at this company, and at times a huge gap in process documentation. What this means for you is that quality initiatives are often going to be driven by you alone with direction, appreciation, or sometimes even the knowledge that you have done or attempted anything worthwhile. So in essence, there will often be times that you fix something horrifically wrong, and mostly you get punished for it. You get no raise, often little pat on the back or recognition...AND now you own that process on top of whatever workload you already had. You might get better job security, but that's it.

Reward the people that build things. Paul Palmieri finished up with huge bonuses and can effectively retire. Did he contribute to one winning algorithm that allows systems to function well? There's plenty he did sure, but the techs are not simply process people...they are engineers creating the products that win the money, and that process has to run consistently for success.

And yet, most of those people have been poached by other companies, or left due to issues with the new upper management, which has a history of changing every year or so. So, you can decide for yourself whether this sounds stable. To a laymen in the tech industry, when you switch upper management yearly...that screams instability.

Sometimes, a company "grows" in order to mask much deeper issues, that gone unresolved will bring destruction along. As advertising views become cheaper and cheaper (and they will) the long term plan for this company looks bleak. They spend on big construction projects for office space and training and building of systems that offer at best imprecise benefits.

Unless you've consumed a lot of kool aid, you don't believe all the good stories about about what is happening, because with a staff between 500-1000, there is too little good shared and the bad and negative problems are never discussed unless you're the person with direct exposure.

Good

Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Innovative company, Growing fast. Friendly collegue.

Cons

A lot of work pressure. City is not good

Fast paced good environment

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

It was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

Cons

The demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

No Integrity

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

If you don't know mobile, you'll learn it

Cons

management has no idea how listen to or manage employes

the definition of a successful company is one that assigns clear roles to employees and process to its business. study this

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

Cons

An unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

It just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

Excellent Tech Startup...for Baltimore

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing company with some upward mobility.
    Excellent industry to be in.
    Powerhouse compared to other local companies.

Cons

Disappointing level of tech culture.
    Everyone is satisfied with good enough - very few trying to achieve greatness.

I don't think there is much to be done. I think if I was an executive, I'd be pretty pleased with everything thus far, but at the same time, the current trajectory does not point toward a Google type success. They'll be a great tech company in Baltimore, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that - it's just not very exciting.

Rapid Industry Change

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Experienced employees, average-above average salary, physically clean and healthy office environment. Phenomenal job recruiting talent and reorganizing its structure, but continue to lose value people.

Cons

Publicly traded, Wall Street loathed ad tech vertical that relies on arbitrage revenue model, extremely fast changing and consolidating industry, over diversified, efficiency killing product offering.

Less focus on management, more on product understanding.