Millennial Media Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Just wow

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've never seen a company fall apart so quick.

Cons

This whole charade probably won't last much longer.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can.

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the pros sadly are from before the co-founder and CTO left. When I started it was listed in Baltimore magazine as one of the best places to work in the area -- not anymore! I suppose you still get a reasonable salary with some nice perks (free drinks, etc.) You also work with some really good people -- although many of the best people left or are leaving after the management shakeup. To be fair the company used to be so good that I suppose it makes the current state of the company seem that much worse.

Cons

After the co-founder and CTO left they went through a series of frankly bad moves. First they fired all of the tech managers (including the people in charge of QA.) This caused quality to seriously drop. So they bought a much less successful company from Boston and had their people replace all of the managers they just fired. The new managers wanted to try to replace all of the Baltimore tech (not perfect but was well tested and is making most of our revenue) with Boston tech (many problems and frankly some parts don't work at all.) We basically spent 6 months trying to put features that were already in the Baltimore tech into the Boston tech (and in most cases the resultant product wasn't as well engineered as what was always in the Baltimore tech.) They are now backing off that position but the damage has been done. A huge amount of the best people who knew the most about the Baltimore tech have now left the company (Baltimore tech is still making the lion's share of the revenue and the Boston tech cannot replace it without serious work and maybe even a re-write.) The people who are left are going to have to take years to relearn how everything works. If you ask "does anyone know anything about such and such software from the Baltimore tech?" and you get a lot of "no, everyone who did left." I think they can probably recover from this but it will likely take quite a while (in the mean time the company's competitors haven't exactly stopped innovating.)

Advice to Management

Maybe you should check to see if a company's algorithms actually work before you buy them; not after you buy them, place all of the people at the new company in charge of technology, and then have them try to replace all of your tech with their tech (thus forcing many of your best people to find other companies.)

Where common sense goes to die.

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of smart, talented and inventive people who want to make a difference and do amazing things. The culture created by the employees is strong, far stronger than the one the company tries to push.

Cons

Poor communication internally, even non-existent at times. Utter lack of direction since the merger. There has been zero integration plan to date. No one is taking responsibility either which is baffling to see at the senior exec level. Where is the accountability? Engineers are leaving in record numbers, can't get necessary work done to operate efficiently or potentially scale. There is a general inability to attract solid talent which is a vicious cycle. We have far more attrition than anyone can keep up with. The identity of the company since the merger seems in question. The Baltimore HQ no longer has the weight it used to but those here haven't fully recognized that. Career pathing isn't a focus in most orgs. It depends on the individual managers to make something out of nothing in that regard. Be more aggressive about cutting the under performers. There are too many hanging on and being mediocre and it's poisoning the environment for those who perform.

Advice to Management

Get an integration plan before you lose any more good talent. Give employees a reason to be invested in the company. Show more interest in the employees. Truly create a culture of accountability and let common sense rule. Execs need to take responsibility for the missteps thus far and show a strategic plan moving forward.

Could be great but lacking leadership

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some really nice people. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Communication throughout the company is not good. Direction and leadership is poor. Continually ask for work from my manager and get nothing. I am told I am doing a great job, but feel that I am completely underutilized.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here. In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months. I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices. I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

Cons

The company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.

Leadership manages up

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Embrace open technologies, nice, but low value perks, like ice cream days half day summer Fridays

Cons

Leadership only seems to manage up, compensation was significantly worse then previous jab and tanking stock really hurts

8. Fast paced good environment

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

It was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

Cons

The demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

9. Good

Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative company, Growing fast. Friendly collegue.

Cons

A lot of work pressure. City is not good

No Integrity

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

If you don't know mobile, you'll learn it

Cons

management has no idea how listen to or manage employes

Advice to Management

the definition of a successful company is one that assigns clear roles to employees and process to its business. study this

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

Cons

An unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

Advice to Management

It just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

RSS Feed </> Embed