Millennial Media Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
50 reviews filtered by

Could be great but lacking leadership

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some really nice people. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Communication throughout the company is not good. Direction and leadership is poor. Continually ask for work from my manager and get nothing. I am told I am doing a great job, but feel that I am completely underutilized.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here.

In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months.

I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices.

I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

Cons

The company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.

Leadership manages up

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Embrace open technologies, nice, but low value perks, like ice cream days half day summer Fridays

Cons

Leadership only seems to manage up, compensation was significantly worse then previous jab and tanking stock really hurts

5. Good

Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative company, Growing fast. Friendly collegue.

Cons

A lot of work pressure. City is not good

6. Fast paced good environment

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

It was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

Cons

The demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

Cons

An unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

Advice to Management

It just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

No Integrity

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

If you don't know mobile, you'll learn it

Cons

management has no idea how listen to or manage employes

Advice to Management

the definition of a successful company is one that assigns clear roles to employees and process to its business. study this

9. Rapid Industry Change

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Experienced employees, average-above average salary, physically clean and healthy office environment. Phenomenal job recruiting talent and reorganizing its structure, but continue to lose value people.

Cons

Publicly traded, Wall Street loathed ad tech vertical that relies on arbitrage revenue model, extremely fast changing and consolidating industry, over diversified, efficiency killing product offering.

Advice to Management

Less focus on management, more on product understanding.

10. Excellent Tech Startup...for Baltimore

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with some upward mobility.
    Excellent industry to be in.
    Powerhouse compared to other local companies.

Cons

Disappointing level of tech culture.
    Everyone is satisfied with good enough - very few trying to achieve greatness.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is much to be done. I think if I was an executive, I'd be pretty pleased with everything thus far, but at the same time, the current trajectory does not point toward a Google type success. They'll be a great tech company in Baltimore, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that - it's just not very exciting.

11. SDE

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

Get opportunities to work on projects, QA gets the opportunities to learn coding

Cons

you have to be very aggressive about what you want to do , otherwise you will end up with QA(automation work) as a SDE