Millennial Media Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
49 reviews filtered by

Great place to work!

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've been at Millennial Media for two years. Before my move to Millennial, I worked closely with dozens of different companies. After getting to know many different companies well, and from my two years here, I can honestly say that I believe Millennial is one of the best places to work. That is why I chose to work here, and why I’m still here.

In the states, the main locations are Baltimore (HQ), Boston, San Francisco, DC, and New York. The offices have large and open work spaces, and all have a modern and somewhat techy feel to them. The company throws outings to sports games and local venues, has big holiday parties and catered events throughout the year, holds company hackmatches, has fruit, drinks, and gaming areas throughout the offices, and participates in tons of local charity events. They even took over a restaurant and bar next to the headquarters in Baltimore where people can hang out, work, and take advantage of the daily free breakfast buffet. The dress code is casual; wear whatever you want as long as it’s not offensive. They are having the team that built Under Armour’s headquarters design and build out a huge modern office addition to the Baltimore location in the next few months.

I think the company is 600+ people right now. Throughout technology we have people who are active in the community and do development in their spare time. Many of us have side start-ups, apps, etc. To me, that’s the type of engineer you want to be around, innovate and passionate. I’ve seen hard work pay off through a bunch of internal transfers and promotions. We have leadership from all over who are well connected and hands-on in driving the company forward in their different business units. As in any large environment some people have different opinions on how things should be done, and though it can be frustrating at times, I’d rather be in a company where people challenge each other with progressive ideas and new technologies than one where people just go with the flow. People at Millennial are friends. Maybe it’s because there have been so many referrals, but there are close groups in all of the offices.

I love the industry we’re in, love that we are encouraged to explore and develop new technologies, and think the future is bright here.

Cons

The company itself has been pretty much doubling in size every year for the past 3 - 4 years. Sure, there have been some growing pains through taking the company public and through acquisitions, but to me the pros vastly out way the cons.

Leadership manages up

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Embrace open technologies, nice, but low value perks, like ice cream days half day summer Fridays

Cons

Leadership only seems to manage up, compensation was significantly worse then previous jab and tanking stock really hurts

3. Good

Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Innovative company, Growing fast. Friendly collegue.

Cons

A lot of work pressure. City is not good

5. Fast paced good environment

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

It was fun while the company was growing so quickly.

Cons

The demands were hard but we all worked hard together.

A good place to start, but I'm happy to leave.

Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Low stress opportunities to learn. Fellow developers are willing to help each other out. A few very hard-working people who really want to do some cool things.

Cons

An unusual amount of drama. Bad management. Very high turnover rate. The CEO bailed, and the board brought in someone entirely unfamiliar with the company to fill his shoes. Constantly changing business strategies that never seem to amount to anything. Business driven development is extremely frustrating because the business doesn't really know what they want. It's a very stale environment where too many people seem to have given up on higher career aspirations. Go to work, complete your JIRA tickets, eat lunch, go home. Developers (or anyone not in upper-level management, really) are not appreciated, and therefore advancement/raises are rare. People will ask repeatedly to be paid what they are actually worth, but by the time a raise comes around, they have put in their two weeks' notice.

It just feels like a car on a highway that has run out of gas. You are cruising, for now, but eventually everything will come to a crawl.

No Integrity

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

If you don't know mobile, you'll learn it

Cons

management has no idea how listen to or manage employes

the definition of a successful company is one that assigns clear roles to employees and process to its business. study this

8. Rapid Industry Change

I worked at Millennial Media

Pros

Experienced employees, average-above average salary, physically clean and healthy office environment. Phenomenal job recruiting talent and reorganizing its structure, but continue to lose value people.

Cons

Publicly traded, Wall Street loathed ad tech vertical that relies on arbitrage revenue model, extremely fast changing and consolidating industry, over diversified, efficiency killing product offering.

Less focus on management, more on product understanding.

9. Excellent Tech Startup...for Baltimore

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with some upward mobility.
    Excellent industry to be in.
    Powerhouse compared to other local companies.

Cons

Disappointing level of tech culture.
    Everyone is satisfied with good enough - very few trying to achieve greatness.

I don't think there is much to be done. I think if I was an executive, I'd be pretty pleased with everything thus far, but at the same time, the current trajectory does not point toward a Google type success. They'll be a great tech company in Baltimore, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that - it's just not very exciting.

10. SDE

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

Get opportunities to work on projects, QA gets the opportunities to learn coding

Cons

you have to be very aggressive about what you want to do , otherwise you will end up with QA(automation work) as a SDE

Needs to Improve

Current Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- fast growing industry
      - office is located in a great part of the city
      - most co-workers are intelligent and hard working
      - there are some good leaders here, however the very top of the ladder is negatively impacting their ability to lead

Cons

- stress level is unhealthy
      - executive team does not care to understand day to day efforts of individual contributors
      - the sales team runs the company - tech and other teams are driven by the wishes and desires of sales for better or worse... in the past year + it hasn't worked out well
      - inexplicable leadership decisions
      - poor infrastructure in terms of existing technology
      - inconsistent executive leadership
      - lack of transparency and cohesive communication from the top

You are handing over the keys to the company to employees from another company that was recently acquired. How did the numbers for that company compare to MM? How dependent was that company on one client? Are most of these employees located elsewhere? .... Why would you think this is a good idea? Have more respect for the leaders and employees that got you to where you are.

Create products that work and function as planned. This will keep sales from selling things that don't work (or just making it up as they go).. it will also keep the other teams from having to put out fires with duct tape on an hourly basis.

Try to improve the work life balance. There are people working here that are stressed to the point of it impacting their health on a daily basis. Sometimes it just takes consistent executive leadership and understanding. Also, culture isn't free breakfast... it's much more than that. Figure it out.

Cue the reply to this post from someone at MM within the next 7 days. When you see an obviously pro-MM post after a recent negative one... it wasn't real. FYI.