Millennial Media Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. As much opportunity as you can handle

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I trust my boss, the leadership, our values and our direction. We have challenges just like any other company, but we're seeing the benefits of new leadership and vision starting to take. I love the mobile advertising industry. Constant opportunity to change the landscape and to move everyone else forward. I've been privileged enough to see my contribution pay off. I know that the things I do can shape the future. I love the core values of Millennial. I know this company is where I want to be because integrity, accountability, motivation, agility, innovation, and mobility are exactly aligned with my ambitions. I've found more coworkers who share my work ethic and values here than anywhere else. There are true bonds built here.

Cons

We're still somewhat in flux and the industry is difficult given the magnitude of our competition (facebook and Google) and the constant change in the mobile landscape and capabilities.

Advice to Management

Keep finding and retaining the best people... People who are going the same direction as the company and people who are motivated by making the company succeed. Working with the best encourages and inspires everyone.

I think these guys are done - they talk about brand advertising but run on performance advertising.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team ethic, want to win as one and understand their clients.

Cons

They don't have smart sales people (they hire for relationships) and therefore cannot change the perception of the business. The EMEA business is run by a sales guy who is only focused on weekly IOs with a dictator(!) as an operations manager. As a result you work in a school and the 'parents' treat you like school children. They will not succeed as they don't have smart leaders and their leaders are not respected by the industry.

Disorganized management, poor operations, no communication

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun team outings, free food, free fruit, drinks. Pretty flat structure, there are some good leaders. Good benefits (healthcare) Interesting projects if you show initiative and interest. Competitive salary and strong bonus system.

Cons

Weak technology, poor managers who didn't know what they were doing, lack of communication between sales and operations leading to breakdown, inability to deliver what was promised to our clients. Unfair promotions to undeserving candidates.

Advice to Management

Strengthen the technology team, introduce more flexibility in process, provide clear direction and hire better managers.

Stay Away

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll get good engineering experience if you're junior. And the Mid-Market sales team is solid.

Cons

This company is going down the tubes. Fast. They brought in a fresh round of senior management who really doesn't give two sh*ts about their employees. I have no clue what the long term vision for the company is. But they'll certainly have a hard time getting there once all of their star employees jump ship (which has pretty much already happened)

Advice to Management

Take some time to care about your employees. It feels more like a run-down factory than a fun tech company. Don't try to buy our love with beer and free snacks. It takes much more than that to keep employees happy.

We are shaping the Mobile landscape

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

The mobility, agility, work ethics, and innovativeness of the company.

Cons

Business arms can be aligned more closely.

Advice to Management

Love the great things that we are doing, however, we can be more much agile and focused at becoming a force in the Mobile landscape.

Majorly in flux, not for the timid

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Historically, the company treated it's employees very well while pressing hard for optimal performance. There are some sharp minds at Millennial. There are people there who are good at team building and providing incentives. People can have fun.

Cons

Very few people who are rank and file actually believe that the company is moving in the right direction. There seems to be a lot of flailing around. As far as values, I once heard an Account executive wonder out loud hot it was that she became such a liar, telling her clients that she was delivering on contracted media as the agency wanted. When presented with making revenue, no one in operations or sales seems to care about being honest with the client.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are under extreme pressure and work harder to help them invested in the long term growth of the company. Articulate that growth better than you are now. There are some arrogant people on your team and they need to be weeded out as they are destructive.

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the engineer here are smart, friendly and helpful. You can learn a lot as a freash man to this industry.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind for now. Maybe, the new hire should also get some expense benefit as the old emploee.

Just wow

I have been working at Millennial Media

Pros

I've never seen a company fall apart so quick.

Cons

This whole charade probably won't last much longer.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can.

company in cultural shift - for the better

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is that you are working with really goods technical people and good managers and most of the technical managers in operations are both. People are valued. They are communicated with. The CEO is doing the right things to correct and shift focus post merger. The culture is shifting and the comfortable existence some employees had in the past is disappearing, because you are expected to actually do what you say you can do. Fo some people that's hard. I find it exciting and I find myself technically growing and challenged

Cons

If you want a sinecure, go elsewhere. The culture no longer supports that.

Advice to Management

Make sure peopel stay compensated here and remain - 2% raises? come on, we'll leave out of necessity in three years.

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the pros sadly are from before the co-founder and CTO left. When I started it was listed in Baltimore magazine as one of the best places to work in the area -- not anymore! I suppose you still get a reasonable salary with some nice perks (free drinks, etc.) You also work with some really good people -- although many of the best people left or are leaving after the management shakeup. To be fair the company used to be so good that I suppose it makes the current state of the company seem that much worse.

Cons

After the co-founder and CTO left they went through a series of frankly bad moves. First they fired all of the tech managers (including the people in charge of QA.) This caused quality to seriously drop. So they bought a much less successful company from Boston and had their people replace all of the managers they just fired. The new managers wanted to try to replace all of the Baltimore tech (not perfect but was well tested and is making most of our revenue) with Boston tech (many problems and frankly some parts don't work at all.) We basically spent 6 months trying to put features that were already in the Baltimore tech into the Boston tech (and in most cases the resultant product wasn't as well engineered as what was always in the Baltimore tech.) They are now backing off that position but the damage has been done. A huge amount of the best people who knew the most about the Baltimore tech have now left the company (Baltimore tech is still making the lion's share of the revenue and the Boston tech cannot replace it without serious work and maybe even a re-write.) The people who are left are going to have to take years to relearn how everything works. If you ask "does anyone know anything about such and such software from the Baltimore tech?" and you get a lot of "no, everyone who did left." I think they can probably recover from this but it will likely take quite a while (in the mean time the company's competitors haven't exactly stopped innovating.)

Advice to Management

Maybe you should check to see if a company's algorithms actually work before you buy them; not after you buy them, place all of the people at the new company in charge of technology, and then have them try to replace all of your tech with their tech (thus forcing many of your best people to find other companies.)

RSS Feed </> Embed