Millennium Corporation

Add Photos

Kevin N. Jennings

Company Review

Configuration Management Specialist (Current Employee) Fort Huachuca, AZ

ProsNice people that run the company. Very personable and offer a positive approach to conducting business. I was laid off during this past Government cut-back. If I hadn't been laid off, I would still be happily working for Millennium. I think they have a lot of potential for growth, but the Government budget issues is a problem right now, especially in the contracting world.

ConsHealth benefit packages are not very affordable. No consistency in Corporate Points of Contact. Seem to spread the corporate support folks very thinly, which means that some issues fall through the cracks.

Horribly mismanaged

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros+ Company sponsored Christmas party with hotel room
    + Metro accessible
    + Nice people to work with for the most part

ConsI worked for Millennium as a temp-to-perm employee through a staffing agency for four months and was let go three months after I was told I'd become a permanent employee.

Not long after I was let go, the BD coordinator and several other people I directly worked with either quit or were also laid off.

Below are several observations on the company:

- The business development department is a mess. As a temporary employee I received zero education, training, orientation, etc. on how to effectively do my job as a proposal writer. The BD department's record keeping of previous contracts was a joke and I was put in an akward position of hiring other proposal writers to this department while I was still learning my own position.

- Human resources is also a mess. The people who ran it when I was there weren't the sharpest bunch and administrative hiccups and misccommunication with upper management led to me being offered a full-salaried position and then having it retracted because the COO had no idea who I was. I was left in limbo for three more months before they told me the day of the company would hire a senior-level employee. Also at no time did they bother to tell the staffing agency this.

- MIllennium's culture is stale, boring, and devoid of anything innovative or exciting. Because of the shortstaff, miscommunication between upper management, executives, and HR, and the company's vision to grow, its staff is extrememly overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a positive company culture that promotes innovation, create a system of education and orientation for your entry-level employees to succeed, and keep all lines of communication between managers, executives, and HR open.

Small business needing qualified employees

(Former Employee)

ProsSmall compensation for parking and metro, decent health insurance, HQ office location is right in Crystal City and walking distance to several nice restaurants

ConsLeadership is reactive rather than proactive.

Don't expect much personal growth here because there isn't much you can learn besides what not to do.

Promotions aren't really promotions. People get promotions only to be told they're promoted to a new position, but won't receive a pay increase until they "prove" themselves in the position, which may be weeks or months later (if at all).

The work environment at HQ can be hard to tolerate. If you are uncomfortable being around people that curse like a sailor, you will want to reconsider working here. Most of it comes from leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at why you have trouble retaining good people and the first thing to look at is management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Company

Program Manager (Former Employee) Aberdeen, MD

ProsNice location, office space is decent.

ConsHR is a joke, there's a crazy lady running the BD Department who lied about her background and previous employment but is somehow still working there. She lies about her employees to make them look bad to upper management. She "laid off" two great, responsive members of her team only to replace them with her boyfriend and best friend. Upper management nor HR addresses valid complaints against managers. Very unprofessional work environment at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the crazy woman! Also, listen to your employees when they have valid concerns.

Nice management, but being nice doesn't win and keep you contracts

Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe owners of the company and upper level management are upstanding men who really seem to care about their employees. Its a small disadvantaged busisness so they get special govt perks that help them get more money from contract bids than traditional busisnesses, which means bigger salaries for contractors. The Christmas party is awesome! Open bar, food, live band, door prizes, and best of all, every employee and guest gets a company paid for hotel room, even for those who live in town, to prevent drunk driving. For non local employees, the company pays to fly them in for the party.

ConsThe company tries to save money by not spending it on corporate headquarters staff, which in turn hinders development opportunities. There is only one recruiter who is NEVER reachable by email or phone. There is only one communications person who does nothing to communicate- no internal or external PR efforts. And there are not any full time proposal writers. The company relies solely on word of mouth endorsements from their military buddies to win contracts. And in a contracting field of hundreds of thousands of companies in the DC area, hardly anyone has heard of this company. If the company loses their contract with an organization, they won't have any other contracts to place their misplaced employees, and you'll be out of a job.

It's a boys club. There are no females in ANY management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money on marketing and PR. Hire specialists and not friends. Rely on good communications and strong proposals to win contracts rather than word of mouth through select individuals. Hire females for management positions. Diversify.

Very small company

Configuration Management Specialist (Current Employee) Fort Huachuca, AZ

ProsVery fast responses from HR department on questions. The corporate office weekly newsletter keeps all employees updated on company happenings.

ConsNo local office, management doesn't make many trips to our location

Advice to Senior ManagementSend a representative out to the field offices more often, at least quarterly on a schedule.

Trust Factor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat people. Nice work environment.

ConsLack of communication by corporate to those directly affected by their decisions. This was a huge deal for me. My annual appraisal was good; so were the frequent responses to my efforts; yet, within days of stated appraisal and a few significant 'attaboys', I was abruptly laid off at the end of a workday and quickly escorted off the premises. As a middle-aged, middle management employee with a family to support, this was very devastating. Their reasoning was cost savings in terminating the position that I held, that it had nothing to do with me and that I would be considered for future positions that opened. However, my supervisor informed me that the 'idea' for this action had been active at the corporate level for more than a month; however, I had not been informed of this major threat to my well-being so was completely helpless and unprepared when it abruptly materialized. I had considered myself not just a hard worker who could be counted on to respond 24/7, but a well-liked employee and team player. I am still in a state of shock and will be realing from this horrible experience for a very long time. It was just so unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as human beings.

Wonderful place to work!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsEveryone is very friendly. Starting Salary is good. Offers online classes in all Micorsoft Office Products for free. Tuition reimbursement program. Very focused on individual knowledge and growth.

ConsIf you dont live in DC or VA getting here is a pain.

The company worries about the bottom line first and then thier exployees.

Configuration Management Analyst (Current Employee) Sierra Vista, AZ

ProsI will get free Company Christmas Party

ConsI was not paid on time, managers had no input on changes that needed to be made and there is a Hostile work environment that the goverment creates which leads employees to back stabbing each other in order to keep thier job, so they think.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy regular rountine to your sites and talk to employees individually so you may get (real feed) back.

Millennium is a company that wants to grow, and leadership team that is learning

Recruiter (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFlexible workplace, Employee & client focused, growing company, great work locations, personable leadership

ConsUnstructured compensation plan, bi-annual salary increases, unrealistic expectations of corporate staff, lack of promotion opportunity, resistance to technology advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust mid-level corporate management, take technology resources and work-life balance issues to the next level, treat promotions and "judgment" fairly

Worked for Millennium Corporation? Contribute to the Community!