Millennium & Copthorne Hotels

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Reviews

2.4

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels CEO Wong Hong Ren
Wong Hong Ren

Current executive management has no integrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, location, professional work culture

Cons

no parking like most of downtown LA, management is trying to keep head above water instead of stepping back and looking at the big picture to solve issues.

Need to spend money to make money

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, some management are honest good people.

Cons

Almost everything mechanical, technological, is outdated by 20 years. Key makers at the front desk and key locks in the guest doors aren't made anymore. Boiler system is old and engineering has their work cut out for them. Housekeeping supplies are low quality. Renovation has been promised for years and not happening. Guests constantly complaining because the hotel needs to be renovated, and the front desk clerks have to deal with the yelling when they can't do anything about it.

But it's not the hotels' fault. Corporate refuses to invest at the Buffalo location when other locations are beautiful.

Gotta spend money to make money.

Not Going Anywhere

I worked at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff is great and will do anything for the customer.

Cons

Company is micro managed and there is a serious communication gap between corporate and property level

You have to reinvest in your properties to reap the benefits of the future.

Understaffed, overworked, unappreciated, and poorly compensated

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The property itself has a very friendly work environment. Most of the management have been friends for years and work incredibly well with one another.

Cons

When you have a rooms division manager working the desk and cleaning rooms himself you know there is something wrong. The fact the corporate has screwed up a much needed renovation multiple times is frustrating. The staff is currently demoralized and grossly underpaid.

The company is run by someone who doesn't understand the basic business practices of a hotel.

I had a very happy experience while i was there

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The managers and supervisors were very helpful when i needed them.

Cons

I have no comments on this matter.

do not forget where you came from

It's Tough Starting at the Bottom

Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Guest Services Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels

Pros

Great benefits, interaction with a wide variety of guest, excellent location, the new management team has a vision and a plan to implement that vision.

Cons

As a union member, I'm at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm stuck with hours that are terrible. There is an ability to move around in the hotel, but if you don't have prior experience, it becomes difficult.

To get buy-in from your employees, treat them like stakeholders in the development of the hotel. Maybe a time when employees can swim in the pool would go a long way to improving morale.

Fine place, but not for me

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels

Pros

I was impressed by how many employees had been with the company for decades. The management really values its employees. Customer service is important, as well, and the staff are committed to providing a good experience to the visitors. The pay was appropriate for entry-level work.

Cons

It was boring. I had about two hours of work in an eight-hour day. I tried to volunteered to sort the mail, clean the supply closet, anything, but with little success. They were also excited to hire extroverted people in sales, but I sat alone in a nook without human contact. The pay was fine for what it was, but you should pay people a little better if you expect them to afford suits to wear every day.

Examine job responsibilities to ensure that workload is evenly spread out. Some sales employees were always swamped while others wondered why they were hired to warm a chair.

Best career move I made and an amazing company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not only are the staff in the individual hotels highly trained and knowledgeable but across the company they are friendly and also willing to offer advice and assistance. I travelled across a few of the hotels in the UK and always felt like I was in my own hotel.

Cons

Many of the hotels are in need of refurbishment, and it can be quite challenging dealing with complaints on a regular basis about the condition of the bedrooms. Rarely received full top marks on customer feedback as no matter how great the customer service is you are always let down by the condition of the hotel. Also t he city we were in was going through a substantial growth in new 3* hotels and refurbishment of 4* hotels that it made it difficult for us to be able to maintain higher rates on the company name alone.

The staff in the hotels are the biggest asset, treat them well and they will remain loyal. Provide more up to date training, new incentive schemes, and in some cases, better working conditions.

Could be better, could be worse

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training are ok, there are way too many, but still ok.

Cons

You are dont really get the chance to get better job or get higher without promotion.(Managers dont really let you get a better position)

Let ppl to get better position if they are worth it.

My experience at the Copthorne Hotel was a very enjoyable experience and staff members are pleasant to get along with.

Former Employee - Waitress in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waitress in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Learning New Skills,
    gaining more confident in speaking with customers,
    Training- to be able to excel yourself further.

Cons

Not being able to see family and friends,
    Not being recognised far your hard work.

The advice I would give is to acknowledge those that are continuously providing excellent customer service to guests as they promote your establishment which enables you to grow.

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Photos

Millennium Hotel, Glasgow (Photo thanks to Flickr user Stephen Sweeney, Some Rights Reserved)
Copthorne Hotel, Slough (Photo thanks to Flickr user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Copthorne Hotel, Newcastle (Photo thanks to Flickr user Oliver Dixon, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo