Miller Canfield Reviews

Michael P. McGee

1. Great Firm to work for

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Detroit, MI

Pros

Strong leadership and mentorship program. The firm offers a lot of opportunity to cross train in other groups and provides professional development opportunities. They are investing in the long term goals of developing highly qualified attorneys rather than chewing up associates before casting them aside and looking for new work horses.

Cons

I love my job. five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty word minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

2. Legal Secretary

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I worked at Miller Canfield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I couldn't find one.

Cons

I agree with the last review. Horrible place to work, not training , very bad environment to work.

Advice to Management

Close the branch in Chicago or be more careful choosing your team.

No central oversight over group managers

I worked at Miller Canfield full-time

Pros

Some groups are much better than others. The firm attracts qualified and nice associates, but many of them leave. There are new efforts and programs to retain employees and reach out to alumni. A good summer program for law school students. The current CEO seems much better.

Cons

Virtually no oversight over group leaders. Very little to no training in certain groups. Group management is more interested in spreading fear than motivating employees. Some partners take credit for associates' clients and put their names on publications written by others. Many partners seem just miserable and unhappy to be alive, which is not very inspiring. Some groups are very sexist (have few or 0 female partners, especially with children). There is some serious hypocrisy and cynicism in group management (lectures about morality from partners, who take credit for others’ work). A firm’s culture and morale depends on the people. Miller Canfield does have some great people, but there is simply too much autonomy given to a few bad leaders.

Advice to Management

There should be better oversight of group leaders, and more training for associates. Partners should be expected to train associates, instead of taking all the work and expecting associates to learn on their own. A polite and open culture should be encouraged. If you treat associates with respect, they will reciprocate (most of them at least), if you treat them as nuisance, they will leave. Nobody should be miserable at their job. What is the point of that?

5. Paralegal at Miller Canfield Paddock and Stone for 21 years

Former Employee - Paralegal in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Detroit, MI

Pros

I received varied, challenging work in various areas with helpful colleagues.

Cons

There was a lot of people with no work to do. A massive corporate downsizing occurred which made most people to scramble for temp jobs.

Advice to Management

This company needed to be more modern and offer more training to employees.

6. Poor structure

I have been working at Miller Canfield full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Long-standing organization, many excellent and well-respected attorneys

Cons

Old-school law firm culture that valued time spent over efficiency and expertise. Poor structure.

Advice to Management

Consider a more progressive structure, flat-rate billing, and more comprehensive review structure.

7. Bad Corporate Culture

I worked at Miller Canfield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Company cares little for anyone who is not an attorney.

Advice to Management

All employees are important in creating overall success.

8. Not bad but better off in-house

Current Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Miller Canfield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High-stakes opportunities early on, positive support staff

Cons

Little guidance, competitive colleagues, low salaries for expectations set

Advice to Management

Need to adapt better to change

Up to this point in my life, this was the best 8 years in professional career when I was a paralegal.

Former Employee - Paralegal, 8th-Year in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Paralegal, 8th-Year in Troy, MI

Pros

Coworkers, exellent benefits, professional work environment, and opportunities for growth and education in other areas of the law if you had the desire to explore and learn. Also, if you worked hard and showed dedication, you were rewarded with excellent bonuses. Of all of the law firms I have worked at, this firm by far has the best bonuses I have ever received. The bonuses were not based on length of employment but based on your actual work product, which I believe is the fairest bonus system a company could adopt.

Cons

I honestly can't think of one.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and I hope that the firm is ran the same way it was when I left it to move to Florida in 2008.

10. Excellent Law Firm with remarkable people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Plenty of Attorney's / Staff here are easy to work with. In this firm you find everyone is hard working and has the "team" atmosphere.

Cons

When you work in the Law Firm environment you always work with a few difficult attorney's who wait till the last minute, demand the impossible and have no real concern for their co-workers. You find these people in every firm, but they were few & far between in my experiences here.

Advice to Management

Beware office gossip that can spread like a cancer within any firm. People can often be replaced but too often it's the wrong person.

11. I love working at this firm. The people are simply the Best of any firm.

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Miller Canfield full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people are genuine and supportive. There is a team spirit attitude at the firm.

Cons

I can't say anything negative about this firm

RSS Feed </> Embed