Miller Cooper &Co

Updated May 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ross S. Pearlstein, CPA

New Hire - Staff Auditor; AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!

Audit Accountant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people are what make the firm amazing. Working at Miller Cooper is like having a second family. They want the best for you and they'll help you in anyway possible.

There's an amazing balance of discipline/structure and flexiblility/compassion at the firm. The environment fosters learning, teamwork, communication, and growth. All of which encourage drive and motivation. This is not just a job, this is a career. And so much of time is spent working, why not love where you work.

The generous benefits offered (i.e. vacation, insurance, CPA study time, etc.) are just the icing on the cake.

ConsThere are general cons that come with working in public accounting like longer hours during busy season but when you enjoy the people you work with, the time flies by, and before you know it busy season is done. It's challenging to extend yourself but Miller Cooper doesn't give out anything they don't think you can handle and when all is said and done, you feel accomplished.

A learning experience. Management structure and general etiquette needs significant work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConsiderable health benefits and retirement benefits, multiple offices, some training, occasional free food, relatively easy to commute to Chicago office location.

ConsManagement structure is loose and unaccountable. Partners are only answerable to each-other, which essentially means partners have little fear of repercussion when mistreating lower level staff. Too many partners who can't be told "no". Little to no concern for employee well-being beyond a very corporate, very bland, "We care about our people" lip service--myriad examples of employees being let go immediately after deadlines, being verbally abused under the guise of a "high pressure environment", being asked to work considerable overtime. Support staff is treated extremely harshly. Common attitude of, "This is public accounting and people get upset during busy season, get over it," prevails. While kind-hearted and generous employees and partners do exist, the culture at Miller Cooper is about bottom line dollars and cents over it's people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your support staff well. Remove person(s) who stand in opposition to growth and development. Make partners and managers accountable for their negativity and abuse. Most importantly, truly re-evaluate what you think it means to provide a healthy work environment for your employees.

God forbid you have a medical issue during tax season.

Tax (Former Employee)
    Deerfield, IL

ProsEmpowering partners, women in management, training is decent but it is mainly on the job training.

One thing I really liked about this firm was that there were many women in management positions and I did feel supported. The training is mainly on the job. The firm doesn't really put money out for outside training but I found partners and managers to be be very approachable for questions and to make sure I was on the right track. If there is a project that is a bit outside the box, I was encouraged to run with a project and keep the partner updated, which was very satisfying. I liked the clients of the firm that I worked for very much.

The new Deerfield office and Chicago are beautiful and were a pleasure to work in. The Chicago office is right in the train station building, which is very convenient if you have a downtown meeting that day. The firm did a good job going paperless.

ConsCrazy office politics gets horrible during tax season, some moody partners, office favorites, inconsistent management, immature favorites are loud and play beach ball games in cubicles which makes good client service nearly impossible for those of us who are trying to do our jobs.

I received excellent performance reviews for every year at this firm except for my last tax season. Coincidently, this was also the year that I required emergency surgery during tax season and had to miss a few weeks of work. After the deadline for performance reviews, which were all good, there were two of the managing partner's buddies who felt compelled to write bad performance reviews and I was summarily let go. This treatment was after five years of excellent performance reviews and promotions. Unfortunately, at this firm you are just a number and a source of revenue.

The tax group has their favorites and if you suck up I guess you can be part of the in crowd. It's like high school all over again, which is annoying if you are way beyond that and I was. I consider myself lucky to have been let go from this firm. I found a much better opportunity where my management skills and technical abilities are valued and supported.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be revamped, retrained or something. Tax staff or any staff mustn't be verbally abused just because a partner or manager is having a hissy fit. Spend some money on real management training and follow through. Just because someone is good technically does not mean they make a good manager. Spend the time and money to make well rounded managers and partners. I experienced several situations from managers that were right on the line between unprofessional and possibly unlawful behaviors. In retrospect, I think management training would have worked to prevent that sort of thing.

Also, when you have staff people acting like the office is a frat house and throwing beach balls around after 6pm, that might be one reason why realization is lower than it could be. Who can concentrate with all that nonsense going on? Only the people who suffer through and eat time look good on paper but they are looking to get out at the first opportunity. I didn't really understand that until I left. I do consider my time at this firm to be valuable because it taught me a great deal about how I want to treat people and to appreciate the position I am in now.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Subpar, just good for a paycheck, not a career by any means.

Tax (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCompetitive salary, decent benefits, health insurance is fully covered and company contributes to HSA. Location is perfect, it's right across Union station. Great for commuters. Dinner during busy season.

ConsMiller Cooper & Co. does not value employee development nor do they value their employees. They have a so called "mentor program" and a "buddy system" just for formality sake. It isn't much enforced and half of the upper management involved in the program, for lack of other words, just don't care enough. There is heavy favoritism among upper management and the staff that has been there for a few years. Communication between senior managers and some of the lower levels is extremely poor. New staff are expected to go looking for their own work due to the poor communication channels. Work is often assigned and then reassigned without any notice.The firm is very easy to let people go without truly developing them. Extremely high turnover, both voluntary and involuntary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm is in serious need of a complete revamp of the management structure. There needs to be action taken regarding the heavy favoritism among senior management and some of the staff. Upper management really needs to figure out a way to develop their employees if they want to retain good people. A 3 day crash course in the accounting software is just not enough. Employee development is something that is ongoing, and needs to be reconsidered from time to time. The method of finding work is also very haphazard. There needs to be a better system put into place to ensure all associates are receiving work without having to make looking for work their main job.

Worked for Miller Cooper &Co? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Miller Cooper &Co reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Miller Cooper &Co CEO Ross S. Pearlstein, CPA. All reviews posted anonymously by Miller Cooper &Co employees.