Miller-Motte Technical College

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
2.3

CEO

Become friends with administration and executives.

I worked at Miller-Motte Technical College

Pros

Being friends with administration and executives gives you more opportunities. You also get invited to the exquisite weekend affairs, you can play favorites, you can take as many smoke breaks as you want.

Cons

When getting caught up with the administrative and executive weekend festivities, you sometimes overlook a few character traits of employees(ex. lying, lack of integrity, "actual favoritism"-by hiring their friends and giving them highly desirable work hours, which causes animosity).

Keep doing what you're doing. Hang out with as many subordinates as you want, keep playing favorites and, how can I forget, take as many smoke breaks as you want!

You do NOT want to work here

Current Employee - Instructor in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Instructor in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Miller-Motte Technical College full-time

Pros

Decent people to work with but it is obvious everyone is miserable. Pay is fair. No one on campus at night so you can do what you want.

Cons

Crazy schedule. Students are allowed to miss weeks of class and then instructors are forced to help them "make up" the work. Numbers are the only thing that matters. So, if you fail students or if they don't come to your class then you are in danger of losing your job. AC has been broken for weeks - bugs in all the buildings. No supplies. Huge potholes in the unmarked parking lot.

Make the school facilities better and maybe students will want to come to school. Appreciate the staff that is left. Students should earn a degree not just buy it.

Admissions Rep-Raleigh

I worked at Miller-Motte Technical College

Pros

Staff was decent. Job itself was decent. Pretty good pay.

Cons

Management is a joke. Blind leading the blind. Never have been a part of worse management. Under qualified, immature, created drama filled high school atmosphere.

Probably beyond recovery without a clean sweep.

Rewarding but stressful and low pay

I have been working at Miller-Motte Technical College

Pros

It is rewarding to help students achieve their goals. Some of the administration is very nice but by far the greatest reward is working with the students.

Cons

No much recognition for going above and beyond; pay is extremely low (espcially considering they are a for-profit school).

Instead of hiring so many upper manangment exec's, try focusing on and rewarding those who are on the front lines.

Most stressful 2 years of my life

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Miller-Motte Technical College full-time

Pros

I had great co-workers and almost everyone had a good understanding of how to help each other out. And every now and then, you get a student that is actually serious about being in school and being successful.

Cons

Horrible management, mostly from campus director and those directly underneath them. Constant gossip and cattiness, completely unprofessional. Constant use of scare tactics and threats of firing if you do not perform with enrolling enough students. The whole place is a glorified call center, having to call a minimum of 100 people a day if you did not have appointments. It focused solely on persuasion and sales. Oh, and the payscale was completely sexist. Good luck if you are a female employee, because if a man works there they will automatically get 10k-15k more than you - even if you have more education and have been working there longer. I could go on and on but I won't - it's too much. Once I left and moved to a bigger city and got a better job, I realized how little new skills I learned during my 2 years there and left me so unprepared for the (much better) job I got.

Wilmington, NC campus is an extremely toxic environment, upper management are cold, hard and ruthless.

Former Employee - Program Director in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Program Director in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Miller-Motte Technical College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed helping students learn, shift, grow and change.

Cons

No training, thrown to the wolves, held accountable for reports not trained to accomplish. Fraudulent activities from upper management and admissions.

Toxic environment, clean it up.

Not a very good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

I worked at Miller-Motte Technical College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There wasn't very much positive going on at the Macon, Georgia campus between 2011 and 2012. Perhaps the best feature was that there were great employees at the local campus.

Cons

Corporate management did not do a good job of preparing for the opening of the Macon office. In an effort to save money, management waited until three weeks prior to opening the Macon campus to hire numerous key employees, and then did not provide more seasoned personnel from established campuses to assist with the grand opening.

Read the more critical reviews here and make the necessary changes to improve the educational quality of the school.

Micro, micro, managers....

I have been working at Miller-Motte Technical College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great facility, everyone genuinely seems to care about the students and their success and overall the staff is good to work.

Cons

Teamwork on the Admissions team is routinely torpedoed. Instead of letting people do their jobs and fostering a solid team, the management is more concerned with reports, pointless contests and micro managing everyone to death.

Let people do their jobs and quit worrying about micro managing every little thing and stop with the stupid contests. They're pointless and

I work with a great team that gets paid peanuts for long, exhausting hours.

Current Employee - Instructor in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Instructor in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Miller-Motte Technical College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Charleston academic team is top notch; from the Campus Director on down, we work well together and get along pretty much like a family. The directors here are all professionals who care about their teachers and students alike. I've never felt more comfortable or confident working with a group of people during my career.

Cons

Academic standards have been lowered such that the academic team is given students who are not up to the challenge of college level course work. Nevertheless, directors and teachers are expected to work with these students on an individual basis with the ultimate goal of retention. This is often time-consuming beyond our regular duties for less than what appears to be a living wage.

Too much emphasis is placed on the business side of education and not enough on academic excellence. There has to be some balance. If our reputation out in the community is that of a school that has low standards, we'll continue to have a revolving door of students who see our programs as irrelavent or who only come here for stipend checks. Further, retaining these students is hard work, the bulk of which is placed on program directors and instructors. If we are expected to do our jobs as well as persuade students that this is the best choice for them, then we should be paid according to the long hours that we work, often putting our own families and private lives on hold.

No help from supervisor.

Former Employee - Teacher in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Miller-Motte Technical College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was fair and I was allowed to work independently.

Cons

I did not get paid for the hours that I was not teaching. For instance planning and preparing for class. Even though it was an hourly job.

Miller-Motte Technical College Photos