Miller PR

Updated November 7, 2014
3.9

Dawn Miller

15 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

passionate people and great learning experience

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A passionate team and great clients
    Management who actually enjoy their job and coming to work and helping the team grow and learn from them
    A team of people who see their job as something to enjoy not just a pay check - nice to be surrounded by people like this who aren't jaded
    weekly agency breakfasts and lunches
    upward growth and internal promotions for hard work, regular reviews and raises

Cons

elevators in the building break down too often

nothing much, thought it was very good. maybe introduce some team monthly training sessions?

Good company and nice people who care

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I found my time there to be delightful and extremely rewarding. management was very helpful with whatever junior level employees needed help with. I was constantly reviewed and evaluated for the work I put in. the agency takes a lot of pride in the clients and work and team and it made me want to work to the highest level I could and i felt appreciated. even though i only had just over a year of experience i was included in important meetings and given a chance. If put high level work in, the outcome is extremely rewarding.

Cons

There have been instances of working longer hours than I originally anticipated, but it doesn’t go unnoticed. The entertainment industry isn’t always a 9 to 5 job. If you did put in the time and effort, it was valued

Not deserving of even 1 star!

Former Intern - PR Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - PR Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Near Beverly Center and King's Road Cafe.

Cons

- Management was extremely horrible and demanding. For example, they frowned upon any sort of breaks and didn't explain any project beforehand, yet had the highest expectations.
    - The senior team was extremely detached, and were blatantly rude without even a hint of care. For example, I stood in the elevator with them since I had gone downstairs to open the door, and Dawn and several other senior staff didn't even acknowledge my presence or even say a quick, "thank you."
    - No one was "available" to write a recommendation, even though as an unpaid intern, this is somewhat expected at the end of his/her time at an establishment.
    - A top executive leaked that she didn't get paid enough for the excruciatingly long hours she worked, and that the company culture was draining.

Nov 7, 2014President

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the company and the only thing you found positive is the local coffee shop and shopping center. I wish I had known about these concerns so I could have helped. For ... More

Definitely fast tracked my career

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked here for over two years and for me it was a really great experience, i was promoted twice and had good salary increases. Of course some days could be tough with clients but its like that in PR, and mainly it was a lot of fun and i learned a ton about how the entertainment industry and publicity work. i got to work with lots of celebrity clients and also some cool lifestyle and fashion brands. I loved the teams i worked on and the clients and got to do some really awesome things which will stay with me forever.

Cons

you have to be thick skinned in PR and not take it personal if a reporter or client gets upset at you. everyone has bad days. what i did love is the way this agency gets behind its employees and supports them, there is a no blame supportive culture, which i thought was really neat.

Closest thing to a sweatshop...

Former Employee - PR Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - PR Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It has been quite some time since I worked for Miller PR. So I decided to google the agency to see what they have been up to. I was pleasantly surprised to see this Glass Door site, and see that I wasn't the only one who truly loathed working for this "Hunger Games"-like agency. I was young and innocent and didn't realized what I was getting into. I should have seen the red flags from the moment I interviewed to head for the hills. I did make friends with a couple of genuine people, so I am thankful for that. But then again you can do that anywhere without having to lose your hair from stress.
    Btw, whichever intern was commanded to write positive reviews on the agency, shame on you for overlooking your integrity, you're better than that!

Cons

-The owner will purposely wait an hour plus knowing that a interviewee is waiting outside for an interview. She is not busy, she will make that person wait just for the sake of making that person wait. Trying to establish a false sense of authority even before that interviewee is hired.
    -The owner is extremely dismissive of her employees and could care less of peoples' personal lives. I've never seen the owner treat people with such disrespect in my life.
    -Prepare for Karoshi - Japanese for "death by work." I was told that work ends at 6pm. It doesn't. It unofficially ends at 7pm, and if you leave on the dot you're branded as someone not committed to the cause.
    -The owner is so incredibly paranoid, that she will fire you even before she gets her facts straight. I saw it happen numerous times.
    -Don't ever pay anything out of pocket. You will either never get reimbursed, or will have to wait months with begging and nagging to get your money back.
    -MPR claims to have repped P-Diddy. They never did.

Pay attention to the real reviews below and take into account that your business model/philosophy is flawed. You're destroying wonderful opportunities by trying to be "Hollywood." This isn't Entourage. You're running a business. Instead of turning and burning your employees, spend the time to actually build them up. You won't believe how much dedication, attention and guidance will create loyalty.

Oct 7, 2014President

I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I'm not sure how these opinions were formed so strongly but they don't represent how I try to run the agency and so I'd like to address them. At ... More

Worst Mistake of your Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent office location in LA....definitely the type of little office to be proud of. They do hire some talented people for management, even they are insanely unkind (not even cordial or professional). They also handle PR for Paris Hilton, which is cool.

Cons

The WORST kind of company. They pay you a barely livable salary to be able to work insane hours doing pure bologna PR. Not only is the office freezing with no break room, the place is completely silent and unfriendly. The turnover is extraordinarily high due to the fact that they have only ONE, count it, ONE large account and the rest of their business is failing and unimportant.

Oct 7, 2014President

Thanks for your feedback and comments, I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience, we are listening to all constructive feedback and continually looking improve. I'd like to address a couple of ... More

A fast paced company that started my career in Entertainment!

Former Employee - Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked as an Assistant to the CEO when the company was first starting out. It was such a rewarding experience to learn the in's and out's of PR from someone with as much business savvy and experience as the owner. I was able to learn a lot and prepare myself for a career in entertainment. I ultimately moved into working in talent representation, and wouldn't have been able to make the transition without this experience.

Cons

PR is really hard work. I would give the company five stars but they were in there infancy when I started and also its hard to recommend this type of work to everyone as PR is not for the faint of heart. There were some bugs that still needed to be worked out but thats true for any start up when I was there. I heard they are really rocking and rolling now though and have really worked out all the growing pains.

You have to have a bit of a tough skin for PR, it wasn't for me, but it was a great experience. I would personally disregard the negative reviews about this company as they probably are from people that can't handle this type of work period. I found the CEO to be a great person to learn from; and as far as I know they, have a high retention rate for employees as they promote from within often. So the people that just didn't make the cut are likely just a bit bitter and resentful. It's a very fast paced world and there are a lot of tough personalities in general in this field (this is not specific to Miller PR). I would say if your considering PR or Miller PR remember this company is the real deal and you better be ready to work. They represent some very high level clients for a reason.

Awful Company

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cute little office with a great view. Very young, semi-creative environment.

Cons

-CEO completely disregards interns, no acknowledgment they exist.
    - Zero structure for interns, it's every person for themselves as well as no clear management.
    -The whole environment is just very cold and unfriendly
    -Only a FEW big clients, the rest are filler and stressful even though they matter so little.

Make some serious changes, or your turn over will continue to be HIGH.

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Miller PR full-time

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is the opportunity for upward mobility and professional growth. The company allows you to be hands on and entrepreneurial in every position and rewards hard work with raises and promotions. Another great reason to work here is the team. We have an amazing group of young professionals that respect each other and cheer each other on personally and professionally.

Cons

The upward mobility comes with hard work, plain and simple. There are long hours and daily challenges with clients, but you do get rewarded for dedication and loyalty.

Continue to be transparent with the team and grow the internal company culture

Awesome company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Miller PR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and an overall awesome place to work with smart people. Regular reviews with career development/raises. MD and CEO listen to you and give personal attention and training. perks for hard work. Company promotes and trains from within

Cons

Some of the computers need upgrading but the new laptops are very good