MillerCoors

MillerCoors Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

MillerCoors CEO Tom Long

Tom Long

Pros:
  • "You get free beer and the place is fun to work for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "There are a lot of great people that work for this company"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance at the brewery is not the best for people with families"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Upper management at the brewery level does see the overall picture"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Poor quality company.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at MillerCoors

ProsGreat people to work with in Golden and at the various breweries.

ConsLegacy Miller people who are in management positions are horrendously unethical. They are very biased against the legacy Coors people who are unlucky enough to have to report to them. Lying on an employee's review is very common. Decent raises are given to the manager's Miller direct reports while the Coors people receive the crumbs.
Overall, very low quality Miller people are in management roles. Favoritism abounds. Definitely a good old boy atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo work for an ethical company for a period of time and see how thinks could be done. Don't be afraid to fire your good old boy VPs who are all style and no substance.

Petty

I have been working at MillerCoors

ProsGreat entry level pay, expense account, vehicle expense reimbursement for sales team.

ConsPetty manager. You won't get promoted based on your numbers but how well you politic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote performance. After all you are a sales organization. Our sales team was told flat out by the Director of Sales Development "I don't care if your the top sales rep if we don't like your your not going to last". This is just like high school! Now you know why your sales programs keep failing.

My managers pet had been promoted to team lead even though she lacks a college education and basic MS Office skills. WHAT A JOKE!

Slow company with aging, negative people

I worked at MillerCoors

ProsBranding is exciting

Beer case allowance and headquarters bar are nice

Offices and facilities are nice

History is interesting

ConsSouth African culture permeates the top and is not effective.

Old people in jobs filled by college hires in similar companies makes for poor future comparison for eager young employees.

culture of mediocre and unmotivated people

I worked at MillerCoors

ProsFree beer each month, pubs in 3 of the offices. Very good benefits, especially the 401(k) match.

ConsThe same favorites are moved from position to position whether they're qualified or not. The company does not develop people. From a performance standpoint, they cannot compete because they're inept at launching a brand and getting it to the shelf. I've never seen a company where people refuse to own their job responsibilities let alone want to be better like at MillerCoors. You cannot succeed in a culture of people where everyone does the minimum to get by and "It's not my job" is the commonplace theme.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding tenure and start rewarding hard work.

Should have been the best job in the world, but upper management is lacking leadership.

Professional III (Current Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at MillerCoors full-time for more than a year

ProsFree beer. Free beer. Free beer. Free beer. Free beer. Sorry I had to put in a minimum of twenty words, and thats all I could think of.

ConsTotal lack of leadership in Management, upper management, micromanagement, . . .
The upper management team segregates themselves from the lower level employees and only wants "yes" men. They have very little understanding of what is actually happening on the floor. When coming aboard your experience means nothing if coming from another company/industry. Currently severely understaffed in lower management and there is no urgency to bring in more help (seems they would rather save the money from salaries) and the upper managers do not fill in but expect the lower level to cover more and work more hours without any end in sight. Also a very bad management vs. union relationship.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the people that can and want to actually do make the company a better place to work, and stand up to the union.

Worst Job of my Career

Accounting Manager (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at MillerCoors full-time for less than a year

Prosuse of gas card and company truck

ConsManagement make bad decisions. Account managers are overworked and underpaid

Core values of Ego, Arrogance, Pride & Know-it-all-ism!

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at MillerCoors full-time for less than a year

ProsNo pros except free beer and in every large room a bar. Cognitive Dissidence.

ConsA sour smell surrounds Milwaukee, WI Headquarters from brewing activities as well as arrogant speak that comes out of their sours mouths.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems as though your core values stays within the (4) walls of your organization and does not extend externally to the marketplace, interviewees and your customers. The true core values that I experienced on October 4, 2012 is Ego, Arrogance, Pride and Know-it-all-ism.

You are so brilliant and so talented why are you stuck in Milwaukee, WI of all places. Since you are so brilliant why aren't they CEOs of Hedge Funds on Wall Street or CEOs of other US Multi-National Corporations.

Get Rid Of Middle Management...!!!!!

I worked at MillerCoors full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYes, the free beer is nice, Living in Colorado the best, Met some outstanding hourly employee's, Great upper management. Decent work-life balance & pay, Good benefits.

ConsMost of the review's comming from Golden, Co. spot on. Middle management unbelievably bad for moral, production, etc. What a shame!!! If they sense for some reason you are a threat to their way of life "Watch Out" I seen sooooooooo much talent leave there it's not funny? Most moved on and became very valued employee's else where.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean House and Start Over. Walk around and talk to your production people. Get it back to what it use to be working for a brewery.

If you have NO ORIGINAL THOUGHTS and are willing to forego all dignity to please your manager, by all means work here.

Operations (Former Employee)
Golden, CO

I worked at MillerCoors full-time for more than a year

Pros+Free Beer (although this can be deadly. If you walk around the cafeteria at any point you'll know what I mean)
+Really good Health Insurance coverage
+MillerCoors University
+You get to tell all your friends you work for a Beer company
+Opportunity to work on some really fun projects that you can relate to
+Golden-handcuffs salaries
+Year-end bonuses
+CEO has good vision and strategy
+You get to spend more money buying bigger pant sizes.

Cons-Middle-management runs (and ruins) the day.
The top-level managers (C-level) are really top notch, good people. Especially Chris, Andy, and Gavin. The individual contributors for the most part have a good work ethic and play well with others. It's the layer in between that's the problem. (Note: NO companies are run this way anymore.)
-They talk all this fluff about encouraging feedback and asking tough questions, but really if you don't rank and file you'll really run your career at risk. (Again, this is not how top companies do things). Definitely NOT one of those "we encourage you to ask tough questions to make our business better" companies.
-Most decisions are made by a very small group, or on an individual basis. There is zero transparency into the decision-making process below the manager level. You're supposed to "just trust the old guard."
-Does not encourage outside/dissenting views. Unless those are from a highly paid consulting firm like BCG.
-All it takes is one individual to dislike you and you can be let go pretty much without cause. This is usually by insecure managers afraid of their direct reports outshining them. Decisions like fire/not fire should be made on a committee basis.
-Limited room for growth/movement unless you're part of the "good old boys" club.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the book "Wisdom of Crowds." Focus and reward the employees who do the actual work. Look at 8 of 10 past reviews on here. All have similar threads.

Gaining on ABInBev is all they care about.....

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MillerCoors full-time for less than a year

ProsGood salary, some good people with longevity there, and free beer.

ConsWeakest onboarding process I ever had and it was for a brand new position with no SOPs and still needed a vision and mission. The ability to succeed when you get 4 weeks under your belt and then your mentor botls for another job and senior management has no backup plan is low to none. HR there is no help if you have internal issues with management or a personality challenge. Sure they can't be a fix-all but they should care and want to do something about it and not just tell you 'you are all adults so work it out'.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't allow managers to create hostile work environments and then wonder why things move slowly.

Worked for MillerCoors? Contribute to the Community!

MillerCoors – Why Work for Us?

Our History Frederick J. Miller was a determined young brewer who settled in Milwaukee and purchased the Plank Road Brewery where he founded Miller Brewing Company in 1855. He brewed his delicious beer using yeast that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MillerCoors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MillerCoors CEO Tom Long. All 158 reviews posted anonymously by MillerCoors employees.