Milliman

Be The First To
Add Photos

Milliman President Steve White

Steve White

Pros
  • EP's understand the work life balance and want to help me acheive my goals(in 4 reviews)

• Great people and the project I've taken was quite interesting and I learned a lot from them(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to achieve sometimes(in 6 reviews)

• There is a complete disconnect in the "training process" for new hires(in 4 reviews)

Great company to work for

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people and work environment. Offer generous compensation for passing actuarial exams as well as compensated study time leading up to them.

ConsThe study time isn't structured so you have to make sure that you are assertive in taking your study time.

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffice parties
    Free soda and coffee
    Everyone gets cake and a birthday card on his birthday
    Cruises
    Football, hockey, and baseball tickets
    Travel
    Bonuses

ConsYou moon the wrong person at an office party and suddenly you're not professional anymore.
    We eat way too much cake.
    16 hour work days for three months out of the year
    There's not much mentoring. Employees are left to figure things out on their own.

Advice to Senior Managementrespect confidentiality.
    try to create a culture of inclusion
    when replying to an email, try to reply to the entire email and not just part of it.

Milliman is like going back in time... it's an inflexible and incestuous work environment.

Mid-manager Level (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe pay and company benefits are 'on par' with competitors in the industry.

ConsSenior management lacks: vision, leadership and the ability to inspire creativity and innovation. The focus is doing things "on the cheap" for clients.

Advice to Senior Management"Hard work is painful when life is devoid of purpose. But when you live for something greater than yourself and the gratification of your own ego, then hard work becomes a labor of love."
    -- Steve Pavlina ("Personal Development for Smart People")

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerous employer contributions to the company retirement plan.
    The health benefits provided to employees are above average.
    Food perk available to employees.

ConsManagement does not retain key workers.
    Very few opportunities for future career advancement.
    Poor communication between management and employees. Employees are frequently left in the dark.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! The office is plagued with low morale.

A great place to work

Principal (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAutonomy
    Smart people
    Great clients
    Generally freedom to build and manage your business

ConsAppears to be moving towards more "corporate" behavior
    Some loss of autonomy as the company standardizes

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your people and be on their side first and foremost

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good opportunities - hard work

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood atmosphere for growth and development

ConsAlways working outside of job description

Exceptional

Practice Administrator (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsMilliman Denver Health is an exceptional organization and is managed by a team of thoughtful, caring, principals.

ConsNo growth opportunity for administrative personnel.

not a good firm to work for and a terrible profession

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsNot much pros really about working in actuarial consulting and no pros at all about working for Milliman.

ConsMy former boss, who at one point in his life worked as a garbage man, was an exceedingly abusive, dishonest, and highly unprofessional person. He was a blue collar man in a white collar profession. He used to sexually harass coworkers and secretaries and made obscene jokes about gays and minorities, but somehow he got away with it because he was in charge and either no one wanted to make a stir by complaining to upper management or the managing principals turned a blind eye to his behavior. He was highly skilled in lowballing reserve requirements to make his clients happy to win and retain business. Reserve calculations have PLENTY of wiggle room for these dishonest actuaries to pick low development factors in order to force a low reserve requirement. He's now in charge of the P&C actuarial side of a big accounting firm, in New York. Whoever said the big accounting formers have high moral standards?!! I really think this guy should have been fired long ago and have had his FCAS designation revoked by the CAS for dishonest and unprofessional conduct. He was admired by a few colleagues at Milliman and a couple of underlings for his successful career (as a slave driver) and frat boy style behavior. One of his underlings who wanted to emulate him also picked up his dishonest habit of inflating billable hours: example billing 11 hours over 8 hours worked on numerous occasions even during slow months. That dishonest underling also no longer works at Milliman. I think he's now an actuarial manager at an insurance company. Somehow money attracts these crooks into the actuarial profession and they thrive in it, even though they can't make the cut doing anything else that's rewarding.

The hours at Milliman were frequently terrible during annual statement and quarterly statement times. Then there were a few months of total lull after statement times with nothing to do and we had to sit around worrying about our job security and on a couple of occasions the rotten former boss actually joked about laying off his people. I suppose it's not any worse than professionals in high tech, but the pay at Milliman was not commensurate with the effort. There is no overtime pay. "As professionals, you are expected to work overtime without compensation," or words to that effect.

My abusive former boss did not want me to advance too fast by passing too many exams so he openly discouraged me from studying. That way he could keep on paying me a measly salary with meager bonuses. If you had too many billable hours on a project, they'd get upset because they couldn't bill the clients too much and they had to write off the hours they couldn't charge the clients, and the rotten former boss felt that write-offs looked bad to his own boss, so I felt pressure not to have to many billable hours. If I billed too little they'd feel, I was not worth the pay they gave me. This is quite typical in consulting. A few favored star performers got all the perks and special treatment but I was not one of them, but the vast majority were just slaves or cogs on a wheel. They were exceedingly stingy with paying for study materials. I had to make do with copies of someone else's incomplete copies of yet someone else's outdated and incomplete copies of study materials to get by to prepare for the exams. In most cases I ended up paying hundreds out of my own pocket with no reimbursement to buy the study materials.

As a mid-level analyst, my job was complete drudgery, simple spread sheet formulas ad nauseum. Forget about what you learned from your exam studies. You won't be using 99.99% of any of the theories or concepts you picked up from your studies. Like I stated before, spreadsheet work, column 1 + column 2 - column 3, etc, etc, ad nauseum. And you had to do it with complete accuracy. Three years into my term at Milliman and I began to develop beginning stages of carpal tunnel syndrome from cranking out numbers on a spreadsheet at an inhuman rate. It took me years after I left the firm to recover from the injury.

The worst part about working for Milliman (or any actuarial consulting firm, I suppose) for me was having to recall details at a moment's notice from the NUMEROUS reports and spreadsheets I had ever worked on whenever the boss asked for or when a client needed information from the reports right away. Some of those reports could be a couple years old. I didn't have a good memory and struggled in this area and occasionally incurred my former rotten boss' wrath when I could not give him answers instantly on older reports.

If you look at the pictures of all their 100+ principals and associate principals nationwide in their yearbooks, you'll notice there are no non-white partners. You could argue that perhaps there aren't enough qualified minorities good enough to rise to that level or you could argue that perhaps the culture and hiring practices are not conducive to attracting and retaining minorities in this firm. My former boss did not like minorities and did not hire them if he could help it and once even openly bragged about having forced out a few his non-white underlings that he inherited from someone else. I think it's a combination of all these factors that there are no non-white principals anymore at Milliman. They really had to work hard to accomplish this whites-only company among its 100+ principals in this day and age. What are the odds that it's a freak occurrence?

I read some Milliman reviews here on Gassdoor that mentions their Milliman coworkers as being "bright." Well, the Milliman coworkers and managers I had were anything but "bright." The principals and managers had a decent proficiency with numbers, but no facility with theory at all. Some analysts may have very good spreadsheet or even programming skills but nothing really to rave about. The vast majority of them were simply mediocre or average at best. Many are stuck at their level and can't pass exams and simply just gave up at a low to mid level. Well, you aren't likely to find many REALLY bright people at Milliman. Maybe the other reviewers don't know what really bright people are like.

Getting into the actuarial profession was a huge mistake in my life. And accepting that job offer from that abusive, dishonest, and unprofessional former boss was a bigger mistake still. I have since changed career and became an engineer and am infinitely happier and probably make much more money than if I had stayed at Milliman.

Advice to Senior Managementclose down the firm and go out of business

Stay away from health practice and beware of Senior principals

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsEntrepreneurial environment due to financial incentives for senior
    Smart people doing analytically interesting work
    Steady work due to changing healthcare environment

ConsLack of development for staff due to no management training of principals
    Hostile work environment for women and minorities due to lack of institutional controls
    Gamed Compensation system favors equity principals because they create the rules and change at whim to suit themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain EPs
    Place HR staff in offices to stop bad behaviors
    Develop system to reign in senior staff

Sweatshop

ProsYou can make a lot of money if you sell your your life outside of work.

ConsNo respect for life outside of work, let alone a balance.
    If you take a job here, grab a beer with your friends before you start because it will be the last time you see them.
    Way under staffed and over extended. The simple solution would be to turn down some work, which they chose not to do at the expense of the health of their staff.
    Management is more interested in using you than developing you.

Worked for Milliman? Contribute to the Community!