Milliman

Be The First To
Add Photos

Milliman President Steve White

Steve White

Pros
  • EP's understand the work life balance and want to help me acheive my goals (in 4 reviews)

• Great people and the project I've taken was quite interesting and I learned a lot from them (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to achieve sometimes (in 6 reviews)

• There is a complete disconnect in the "training process" for new hires (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Product Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people to work for. Learning a lot.

ConsDoes not pay as well.

Great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsChallenging and exciting work with great compensation. Compensation is based on the amount of time you spend at work, so hard work is rewarded.

ConsIt is difficult to have a balance between your work and your life, because you must meet your clients demands in order to stay in business.

Lots of opportunity for those with a "certain set of skills"

ProsVery generous benefits package to the point it makes salary alone almost an unfair comparison. I believe every 20+ Milliman consultant would be considered "on track" for retirement by any financial adviser. Their profit sharing and retirement plan match makes it nearly impossible to not be prepared. Health and other benefits are also outstanding.

ConsThere is no set career growth; it is what you identify and create for yourself. It is a very flat organization. Career growth is measured in skills opportunities not leveling up and job titles. There is a bias rewarding actuarial exams and other industry-based designations more than technical, human resources certifications. Milliman leadership provides the normal "thanks" but little more in showing appreciation for what you do. Going above and beyond is the norm so recognition for it is rare. It is important to self-promote and generate your own appreciation of your contribution to the firm and your career growth. Know when you are doing a good job whether managers acknowledge it or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I think they do well and return most of the firm's financial success to those who create it. I think that is the best model for any company. The original Milliman profit center structure is brilliant. Execution can be less elegant but that is to be expected.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can be great, experiences vary

ProsSmaller offices, close-knit teams. There can be opportunities for travel. Good perks and competitive salaries.

ConsStressful environment, hours can vary a lot. There is internal competition for clients - which can be distracting.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees.

One Should Not Be Promoted Due Solely to the Work of Others

Consulting Actuary (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompensation is good as long as you can stay busy. Billable hours are such a large part of compensation, it is more like a law firm. Base salary is below market but billable hours bonuses can put you well above market.

Profit sharing is very strong.

Some very smart people work here and some are Partners.

ConsSome Partners were promoted for no good reason (because the one who built the practice retired). Others have not kept up with the times but are allowed to struggle for too long. This leads to huge variances in experience depending on who you work for and at what location.

Some very good and smart people do not get credit they deserve and they eventually leave. Too much time by many partners working for themselves and not enough time managing their workers or building talent.

Some of the oddest, most aggressive, aggravating people I've ever encountered work here and will never leave because of the above (no attention to day to day management / morale). Crazy people are allowed to operate unchecked for long periods of time.

Offices are more or less independent by location and somewhat uncoordinated with each other which leads to disparity in compensation, business practices, client disputes, etc.

Time off is poor but you don't do Consulting to get time off. Not much balance here folks. Expect to work alot.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider talking to the next layer down before promoting someone. You may not like what you find. Revenue can be deceiving if the people you promote are not generating the revenue.

Best place to be an actuary

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat comp program at all levels

ConsConsultants sometimes compete for new clients

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove cooperation between offices

Plenty of work to do

Consulting Actuary (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros* Work is interesting
    * Co-workers are smart and driven
    * Compensation is great

Cons* Work life balance is hard to achieve sometimes
    * Not for everyone because of the stressful and fast paced work

Smart people but very unprofessional work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOpportunity to learn, ability to work from
    Home, generous retirement plan, parties with open bars.

ConsCliquish and "gossipy" atmosphere. They often say they want someone with an "entrepreneurial" attitude but they clearly have no idea what it means to be an entrepreneur. The overall culture needs a makeover.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not participate in office gossip. Teach by example.

Good company overall, but the ability to grow in the company is slim.

ProsOffice is in downtown Seattle. Benefits are good. Pay is decent. Amazing facility, with a stellar facilities staff who is always friendly and helpful.

ConsOffice culture could be better. Lack of diversity. Equity Principles have little to no management skills. But because of their salary, they feel they are more than qualified to manage people. Segregated practices, makes for confusing regulations and rules. What work for some may not work for others. Also very prejudice towards people of color when promoting into management roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementHighly suggest showing more value into your employees who are actually the ones who keep the place running.

Great company

ProsVariety of projects and work is intellectually stimulating

ConsThe hours can be challenging

Worked for Milliman? Contribute to the Community!