Mills College

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

3.4

Alecia A. DeCoudreaux

Recovering from devastating budget issues

Pros

Passionate (albeit needy) students, excellent faculty, friendly staff. Gorgeous campus; it smells great all the time. Accommodating and flexible to our personal lives. Food is good; be sure to wait around for the clam chowder. Very inclusive community. Salary is alright but I stay for the benefits.

Cons

We are recovering from some devastating budget issues. Since I have been here, there have been no raises. There have been furloughs, reduced salary, restructuring, lay offs...morale is at an all-time low.

I have faith that management is doing what they can to balance the budget, to eventually bring back raises and "appreciation days" (like paid holidays), and once again make Mills the vibrant, positive campus it once was. Our President has the business background we need to fix the budgetary problems the College is in and get us back in the green. I've been working to get out of my own debt issues so I have some empathy for her trying to get an entire company out of debt issues...it's not easy and you have to make difficult sacrifices. Frankly my opinion is that our previous president--NOT our current president--is at fault for the dire situation we're in, and President DeCoudreaux, unfortunately is the face as we get through these trying times. (By no means am I trying to devalue current staff/faculty unhappiness about the situation; just giving my take on the big picture.)

Challenging

Pros

Beautiful campus. Faculty and staff devoted to women's education, the arts, education, social justice. For a small campus, there are a good number of arts events. Graduates go out with confidence. Location in the Bay Area has many advantages though housing and cost of living are expensive. Many great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year, budget cutting is taking a toll on morale on campus. Much talk of transparency but reality's different. People who have loyalty are being alienated. Not very international-minded. Not very innovative.

Less talk of transparency and more actual consultations with the community. Small liberal arts colleges are having a hard time, we know this.

Positive experience with Mills

Pros

I worked part time at Mills while attending school there. I loved every minute of my lab position. The professors were very kind and helped me whenever I needed it.

Cons

The only problem was that many of the students I was working with were older than me and this caused some tension. We were also required to hold office hours, that none of the students would take advantage of.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Oakland, CA

Pros

I loved working with all the staff members

Cons

the pay is not very good as a temp worker

nice environment and nice students

Former Employee - Lecturer  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Oakland, CA

Pros

beautiful campus, attentive students, hands-off supervisor

Cons

Taught as adjunct and didn't get to work full time

My experience went from outstanding to unbearable.

Pros

Beautiful campus, lively atmosphere, friendly students. Mills is like an oasis in the chaos of Oakland, CA.

Cons

Management has changed completely over the last 2 years. Their desire to bring a "corporate" mentality has forced their most valuable staff to leave. Expect at least 2 full weeks of furlough time (lost salary) and factor this into any offer. Expect a cliquish atmosphere among staff. Expect low standards, short work weeks for most employees and no commendation whatsoever for extraordinary effort.

Don't insult or devalue the intelligence of your employees. Hire a permanent General Council.

Great place

Pros

Great people, great place for women

Cons

Always lots to do, and never enough time in the work day to get it all done

Keep supporting women's leadership issues

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Good benefits, a lot of holidays off, beautiful campus, great co-workers

Cons

Salary is average to low

Working here has been great.

Pros

Very understanding to a student's schedule

Cons

Can be very demanding of time

Highly political atmosphere, faculty are undervalued

Current Employee - Faculty  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Oakland, CA

Pros

Mills College is a very special place. It has a central mission and core values that are fantastic if you are interested in feminism, social equality, LGBT issues, first-generation college students, education equity, and the like. The faculty is passionate about their work and the students come to Mills because they want to be there, not because they feel obligated to attend college. Plus, the campus is beautiful!

Cons

There is gross lack of transparency in how the College is governed. The faculty are not fairly compensated. Every year we are asked to do more with less.

Stick to the faculty salary plan. Engage faculty before making drastic decisions about benefits. Understand that the faculty are the College's most important asset.

Worked for Mills College? Contribute to the Community!