Mills College

3.6

Alecia A. DeCoudreaux

Wonderful institution

I worked at Mills College

Pros

supportive/inclusive community filled with passionate staff/educators/faculty

Cons

training, mid-level management, management training needed

Dreadful and soul destroying

I worked at Mills College full-time

Pros

People I met who are friends

Cons

Horrible leadership and no faith is leadership

Learn how to manage and treat people like humans

Excellent beleaguered faculty and staff serving wonderful students

Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Mills College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mills students are wonderful: idealistic, diverse, appreciative, and motivated. The faculty are devoted to the students, and the teaching is generally of high quality. Some professors also have impressive research and publishing records. The commitment to multiculturalism, women's empowerment, and social justice is real, not window dressing.

Cons

While I understand that the administration is constrained by budget concerns -- finally being addressed, rather than covered up, as they were under the previous administration -- they have unnecessarily antagonized faculty by dictating to, rather than working with, us. They also have treated some long-time staff members badly: For example, when they laid off a popular staff member, they made her leave the building immediately, rather than treating her with respect and providing a transition for the students who depended on her and were devastated by her sudden departure.

Recovering from devastating budget issues

I have been working at Mills College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate (albeit needy) students, excellent faculty, friendly staff. Gorgeous campus; it smells great all the time. Accommodating and flexible to our personal lives. Food is good; be sure to wait around for the clam chowder. Very inclusive community. Salary is alright but I stay for the benefits.

Cons

We are recovering from some devastating budget issues. Since I have been here, there have been no raises. There have been furloughs, reduced salary, restructuring, lay offs...morale is at an all-time low.

I have faith that management is doing what they can to balance the budget, to eventually bring back raises and "appreciation days" (like paid holidays), and once again make Mills the vibrant, positive campus it once was. Our President has the business background we need to fix the budgetary problems the College is in and get us back in the green. I've been working to get out of my own debt issues so I have some empathy for her trying to get an entire company out of debt issues...it's not easy and you have to make difficult sacrifices. Frankly my opinion is that our previous president--NOT our current president--is at fault for the dire situation we're in, and President DeCoudreaux, unfortunately is the face as we get through these trying times. (By no means am I trying to devalue current staff/faculty unhappiness about the situation; just giving my take on the big picture.)

Challenging

I have been working at Mills College full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus. Faculty and staff devoted to women's education, the arts, education, social justice. For a small campus, there are a good number of arts events. Graduates go out with confidence. Location in the Bay Area has many advantages though housing and cost of living are expensive. Many great people to work with.

Cons

Year after year, budget cutting is taking a toll on morale on campus. Much talk of transparency but reality's different. People who have loyalty are being alienated. Not very international-minded. Not very innovative.

Less talk of transparency and more actual consultations with the community. Small liberal arts colleges are having a hard time, we know this.

Positive experience with Mills

I worked at Mills College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked part time at Mills while attending school there. I loved every minute of my lab position. The professors were very kind and helped me whenever I needed it.

Cons

The only problem was that many of the students I was working with were older than me and this caused some tension. We were also required to hold office hours, that none of the students would take advantage of.

Good people

Former Employee - Student Worker in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Oakland, CA

I worked at Mills College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with all the staff members

Cons

the pay is not very good as a temp worker

nice environment and nice students

Former Employee - Lecturer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Mills College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

beautiful campus, attentive students, hands-off supervisor

Cons

Taught as adjunct and didn't get to work full time

My experience went from outstanding to unbearable.

I worked at Mills College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lively atmosphere, friendly students. Mills is like an oasis in the chaos of Oakland, CA.

Cons

Management has changed completely over the last 2 years. Their desire to bring a "corporate" mentality has forced their most valuable staff to leave. Expect at least 2 full weeks of furlough time (lost salary) and factor this into any offer. Expect a cliquish atmosphere among staff. Expect low standards, short work weeks for most employees and no commendation whatsoever for extraordinary effort.

Don't insult or devalue the intelligence of your employees. Hire a permanent General Council.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Mills College full-time

Pros

Good benefits, a lot of holidays off, beautiful campus, great co-workers

Cons

Salary is average to low

Mills College Photos