Millward Brown

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Travyn Rhall

Pros
  • Growing opportunities in the market research market(in 18 reviews)

• Good focus on work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is outrageous, 20-30% of extra work is still fine with management(in 13 reviews)

• I understand that this particular line of work often involves long hours(in 21 reviews)

Big name - but don't expect anything great

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYour coworkers and team are usually very nice and helpful. However, the higher your teammates are in the hierarchy, don’t expect that they will back you up if it becomes difficult or challenging. Higher ranked employees tend to look after themselves. Millward Brown has a wide range of great offers and is investing in ongoing research to develop their tools further to service changing needs and environment. However, the sales team is rather weak and acts out of an independent group of people that are loosely connected with the research teams.

ConsBeware: WPP has strong influence over Millward Brown. As a result, people are treated as one of many who are just there to deliver profit. Your own interests and desires for what you want to achieve or do in your career are hardly taken into account. Instead, expect that senior management will transition you on an ongoing basis from account to account, as they are not able to manage and distribute the work load properly. Promotions are very rare.
    It's very strange that global management is not doing anything and why the senior management promote themselves when laying off other staff.

The new business model was modeled in theory and struggles in reality. People are widely demotivated; especially after the removal of foundation/junior positions and junior tasks were distributed among remaining staff.
    Sr management is out of touch with the day to day business and what it really takes to execute projects and to deliver to clients. They are advancing their own personal agenda. It is a theater show pretending all is going well, while high risks of failure are up in the air.
    Consistent salary freezes on top of noncompetitive salaries. Expect to work regularly way over what was agreed to the expense of your health (very little work life balance.)

Advice to Senior ManagementChange of the senior management and hire REAL role models, who are able to motivate and collaborate with everyone. Sales team needs to work close with the researches.

Good place to work

Director, IT (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMillward Brown is a stable Market Research company, part of the Kantar group. The vibe is good, management care, people tend to be fun and friendly.

ConsDuring recessions there tend to be layoff's. Management focus is on client and departments that have direct client involvement overshadow other service departments.

Glad to be out!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros"Had" some wonderful people and some good products.

ConsManagement doesn't care and doen'st listen. New model will not work. We are no longer a "research" company. Infrastructure sucks, can't be competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove out all Senior Management and move in real researchers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm happy at MB

ProsThe people are great. Friendly atmosphere. My manager really cares about the team and always has their backs.

ConsLife work balance could improve

ON THE DECLINE

Vice-President (Current Employee) Fairfield, CT

ProsYou coworkers are usually pretty nice, until the ax starts swinging, which it does often. Then watch your back!
    the Company has some really good offers, but most of us don't have the time to learn and sell appropriately due to little if any support.

ConsIt's very strange that global management has allowed the NA business to go from bad to worse.
    Unwilling to recognize that the business model is seriously flawed and causing dissatisfaction among both clients and staff.
    Sr Management out of touch with the day to day, just for advancing their personal agenda. Some pretty bizarre behaviors by a few of the women Sr Management, something that wouldn't be tolerated if they were men.
    Unbelievable level of politics, similar to ad agency.
    Career advancement is very political with you 'In' on one day and 'Out' the next. Just be under 30 and very good looking...
    The largest clients are very dissatisfied, with constant fire drills involving C-level to salvage the big accounts.
    Consistent salary freezes on top of noncompetitive salaries. Don't count on getting bonuses
    Expensive insurance.
    Unhealthy staff turn over with a 'Restructuring' about every 18 months
    Excessive workload.
    Very low morale
    Moving to Norwalk this summer

Advice to Senior ManagementEileen Campbell needs to clean house in North America. The current situation is not reflecting well on her ability.

get out while you can. this job stinks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fairfield, CT

Prosnothing, this job stinks everyone is looking for a way out

Conseverything, everyone wants to leave huge turnover

Advice to Senior Managementget over yourselves

Time for a "Fourth Model" ....... Can't wait to leave!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bridgeport, CT

ProsOpportunity to work across many brands and categories for a global company that historically has had an outstanding reputation in the industry.
    There are many friendly people who work here.
    Charity work is very fulfilling.

ConsThere's poor senior leadership in the Fairfield office.

The Senior leaders of the office are at best very weak at leading an office. So many 'secret' meetings behind closed doors,and they are not sincere or honest with the staff. Positive changes promised but never implemented. Senior management cannot forecast or provide the 'selling' tools needed to build business which has lead to several layoffs.

Senior management tends to value those who can BS the best, can be most controlled and are willing to be "yes" people.

Recently, several senior people in the company have been brought in from outside the company . They are put in place above others that have been with MB for many years .These tenured people know more about research than most of these outside people. Seniority at MB actually works as a disadvantage and those tenured people are in a sense 'demoted' to report into others that really don't know the business.

Too many business models implemented in the last 3 years (along with 3 lay offs).
    The latest business model was based on many of the same ideas as the last model. This created a wider separation in roles, taking the research and removing it from the client engagement.
    This model is based on a recommendation from a 3rd party consulting company brought in to tell them what is wrong with the way we are working rather than listening to the people working in the organization.

Employees (including me) have been put into roles that many are not comfortable or experienced performing.

People are forced into one role or the other, and expected to fit that role completely. We have been expected to stop thinking about the actual research process and just focus on one facet. Factory mentality has been implemented, with a long list of 'this is what you do' and 'this is what you don't do' - forcing an 'it's not my job' mentality to the point that we will be written up if we do something not in our 'list' of responsibilities. This type of disconnect between roles has lead to miscommunication, no one is really looking out for the whole business, inefficiencies, and errors being overlooked and I see bad things happening already.

We lost many loyal, talented people that really cared about the company, their staff and their clients in this last round of layoffs.

Morale has hit an all time low, job security is non-existent, and many of the staff in the office are currently looking to leave Millward Brown (myself included). People are leaving in droves, recently about 20 people were laid off from this office and several others resigned.
    Wake up CEO and look what has become of the Fairfield office under the current Senior leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur office needs to spend more time with clients rather than training how to implement the new models and please stop inefficiently changing everyone's seats in the office..... three + times a year.
    Please do not look at us as "Robots" we are people!

Excellent until the past two years

Project Management (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsUp until the past two years, MB has always done a great job of taking care of me as an employee.
    I've had great opportunities, managers who are invested in your success not just their own, and upward movement with salary increases.

ConsOver the apst two years, managers who don't really care about your success only how they can take your ideas and use them to benefit yourself or their besties.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more concerned about the people who report to you and how you can help them move forward, now just how you can ask for their ideas on improvement then give those ideas to their fellow managers to execute.

No place to work if not in sales

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood balance of work/life balalnce

ConsIf not in sales, you will be treated like a member of a secretarial pool

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Stay Away!

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCorporate training, signing bonus, decent company benefits

ConsAwful management, lacking in corporate vision, a dinosaur in the industry. Corporate structure places value on unfair distribution of work between 2 separate entities, client service and research planning. All this creates is internal tension which the client can sense. Great example of over-complicating the consulting business model. Be forewarned, Do Not Work Here!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "Model of Now", Research Planning and RPS divisions. Hire competent project managers and well rounded client service managers. Gain control over client relationships and stop with the "sky is falling" mentality.

Worked for Millward Brown? Contribute to the Community!