Milpitas USD Reviews

Updated June 19, 2014
Updated June 19, 2014
3.3

Cary Matsuoka

If you believe in innovation

I have been working at Milpitas USD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Milpitas has really stepped it up providing raises and better working conditions for the employees. It's very much of a "do what is right for the kids" environment. The technology support has been phenomenal. It's a full Google Apps environment and all the software is bought with flexibility of learning in mind. The technology is fantastic for kids as well as for the teachers. Our kindergarten kids all learn how to login with their userid and password and by the time they reach my classroom, they're all pros. All sites are 100% wireless and very reliable. Plenty of teacher support if you know where to ask but you have to ask. Students have benefitted from the online assessments and technology. I know my students have been accelerating. How do I know? Because now I have data to prove it!

Cons

It's a school district with a union structure but with the great PERS and STRS retirement perks that come with the union hassle. There will always be some naysayers and they too exist in small numbers in Milpitas Unified. Old union guard still has some "control" but the progressive teachers are too nice to say they disagree with the union. Frankly, we would do better without the current union leadership listening to a minority of the membership without ever taking a transparent polling of the membership of ideas and controversies.

Be more proactive in offering training and we (teachers) would like to know where this exciting ship is taking us. We would love additional teacher opportunities for growth other than going into administration. Keep on going with the innovation and thanks for getting rid of the folks who are clogs in the system and skewing perspectives to fit their agenda.

Great colleagues, poor management

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Milpitas USD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The students, and most of the faculty, are exceptional and make the job of teaching in MUSD a pleasure. Salary reasonable.

Cons

No interest in teacher development. Resources limited, particularly technological. Little/no support of new teachers, administration at some schools lie to you outright regarding your status.

Invest in technology, and improve communication. Be honest with teachers as to where they stand. Actually READ letters responding to evaluations.

Good opportunities in an excellent district.

I have been working at Milpitas USD

Pros

Good benifits and salary package that is one of the most competitive in the bay area. Working with experienced teachers who have fantastic ideas about the students they are serving. The opportunity to work in as system that is focused on student growth and achievement while not being bogged down in title 1 regulations. The schools also work closely with the surrounding community that contributes to a growth of rescources and positive atmosphere.

Cons

Link between adminstration and teachers is not always there. It would be nice to have more opportunities for extended learning (i.e. workshops, conferences, and sharing of best practices related to teaching activities).

Communicate more regularly regarding expectations for student achievement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Milpitas Unified School District - Solid Place to Work

I have been working at Milpitas USD

Pros

Meritocracy. Professionalism. Care and concern. Family atmosphere. Much collaboration. Good place for student and employee alike. Continuous improvement. Objective results attained year after year. Parents relatively involved. Some of the best students in the world. Highly talented teachers. Sound business practices. Relatively unscathed by business cuts. Moral and reliable school board. Decent, principled leaders. Relatively well supplied with materials. Plenty of opportunities for extra income.

Cons

Job itself tough. Many at-risk students. Pretty mediocre technology. Facilities mediocre as well. Employees - like elsewhere - must continue to do more with less. Pretty insular. Culture not as well attuned to outside world as should be.

More focus on literacy and accountability and data analysis. Be less insular. Seek wise people and stop reinventing the wheel. Award results.

Teachers and Staff are good but bad administration

I worked at Milpitas USD

Pros

Working with the people is very good, everyone know the district is needs to pull together.

Cons

Administration is blowing through money like it was a high income district with very little if any results. Direction is vague and not thought out, extremely bad management

Fire yourselves and get someone who knows how to manage people.

MUSD is in transition

I worked at Milpitas USD

Pros

Good hardworking teachers and principles.

Cons

Lack of feedback from administration, district is in the red.

Should have kept vice principle positions at many of the elementary schools.

Worked for Milpitas USD? Contribute to the Community!