Milton Hershey School Reviews

2.8
John Estey

1. House Parent for 5 years

Former Employee - Houseparent in Hershey, PA

I worked at Milton Hershey School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If your intentions are noble and you truly wish to have a positive influence in the lives of young people, you can. As most HP's say-if we didn't have to deal with the so called Management, the job would be perfect.

Cons

Having a supervisor/HLA that is "out to get you" or micro manages your life, can make your life pure hell. My first Home Life Administrator was hands off, trusting that we could do our job and was more supportive. Our 2nd HLA walked around with a note pad making notations of everything we did wrong. (THERE ARE ENDLESS WAYS TO MAKE MISTAKES). Then she presented this list in a meeting and asked us to account for every incident-one being that I WAS FIVE MINUTES LATE TO A HP MEETING! Your so called "off time" will be filled with HP meetings, quad meetings, endless trainings, school assemblies and ANY other opportunity to suck up your time. You will eat, sleep, drink, dream, fart and breath Milton Hershey School. The amount of paperwork is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

The family atmosphere has been replaced by institutionalization. House parents are drowning in paperwork, meetings, trainings and endless protocols. Have you examined why the HP turnover is so high? Much focus is given to student retention but if no consideration is given to the retention of good HP's, the student population will suffer.

Upper management wants to own your life and when they find out the don't they discard you at any cost.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I worked at Milton Hershey School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teachers, children, houseparents and employees are wonderful to be around, very well behaved and courteous. Teachers and House-parents are very conscientious and sincere in their care for the children.

Cons

Horrible management in the support services department, dishonest and deceitful. Double standard seems to be par for the course. Dishonesty is a method of management hear and have a very efficient method of disguising it. Career advancement is more important then honesty and fair management.

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair with the employees and practice what you preach. We are hear for the children? Unless you are in support services, unfair business practices, and life-skills in general. High pressure expectations of performance and then when you open mouth you are reprimanded, pressured to the point that you can't perform you job or terminated!

3. My experience has been informative, rewarding and heart felt for the children their.

Current Employee - Custodian in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Custodian in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Milton Hershey School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, and educational in the cleaning business. To watch the growth of students reaching their goals is so heartfelt. Its hard to see them graduate and leave.

Cons

Some custodians are hard to work with but most are nice and helpful

Advice to Management

Explain to employees why decisions are made to a specific area. And why their is still favoritism. And why pay is equal to a good cleaner and verses cleaners who don't do their best.

5. Great if you're in it for the children

Current Employee - Full Time Houseparent in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Full Time Houseparent in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Milton Hershey School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Satisfying and rewarding job. Decent Pay and Free Room and Board and utilities.

Cons

Overbearing Supervisors, Have to much say in your personal time off/affairs

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who "make" the job - Houseparents

6. Proceed with caution

I worked at Milton Hershey School full-time

Pros

The mission of the school is great, providing an education to underprivileged children. Health care and other benefits are excellent. Pay is average.

Cons

Non-union employees often are treated poorly. Expectations of management often unrealistic. Does not place high value on work-life balance needs of employees.

This is a good place to work unless you are a Houseparent. School teachers, medical and campus staff have it good.

I worked at Milton Hershey School full-time

Pros

Working with the students is very rewarding. You provide a home environment for students, most are 100 miles or more from home for 9 months out of the year.

Cons

Houseparents at MHS are treated like criminal suspects. Home Life (residential student) management are constantly looking for any small mistake to hold over the Houseparents head as a way to fire them in the future. Day to day communication between Home Life and students/houseparents is very accusatory.

Advice to Management

Replace 80% of the Home Life Administrators and Heads of Home Life. Houseparents should be allowed to review the administrators and the bad ones should be replaced.

Prepare to have your life become nothing but Milton Hershey School

I worked at Milton Hershey School

Pros

Exceptional employer paid benefits package, excellent retirement package, good salary and systematic pay increases

Cons

horrendous work schedule. so called "unscheduled' time gets filled with meetings, training and other "priority" items and much of this supposed time off must be used just to keep this running around the student home due to the expectations of Administrators. Administration has a major disconnect with houseparents and continually places additional responsibilities on them without consultation in an effort to drive directives handed down to them from the top.

Advice to Management

Cut the number of administrators in half, provide more autonomy to houseparents, include houseparents in the decisions that affect them and hold time off as sacred.

9. overall good

Current Employee - Manager in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Milton Hershey School

Pros

benefits, the kids, and majority of the staff

Cons

small minded and inward looking

RSS Feed </> Embed