www.mam.org

Daniel Keegan

Great place

Current Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Art Museum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work friendly people. Very flexible great evironment

Cons

Day off cycling. Never Know when you will have a day off

Keep up.

MAM

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum

Pros

Great environment, immediate co workers were the best group of people I have ever worked with

Cons

management at the time for the museum food area was awesome, but management for the museum was horrible and let a lot of bad things happen to good people

Cafe Calatrava

Former Employee - Waiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Waiter in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff were enjoyable to work with
    Easy hours - Day time shifts, plus some nights and weekends
    Great Money! - Commission's on parties made staying late much more enjoyable

Cons

Management - Lack of thought and care for their employees

Learn to treat employees as humans and not robots. Work will be much more enjoyable for all!

Milwaukee Art Museum Employment Evaluation.

Former Employee - Event Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Event Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some very talented and cooperative people work there who are always willing to help in any way they can. It was a pleasure to work with them for so many years. Also I was able to be exposed to some incredible works of art on a daily basis and had an opportunity to do things that would not be possible in any other workplace in the area.

Cons

I believe that some of the Senior Management is detached from the people that work with the public in this institution. It is not all of them, but the ones who are negatively impact what could be accomplished with a little more understanding and listening.

Please listen to the people who have everyday contact with the Public that you so desperately need to come to this amazing institution. If you do and heed what they have to offer, you will be better for the experience.

Guard

Former Employee - Guard in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Guard in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Across the board. I can't comment on benefits, as I was a seasonal worker and I do not recall any specifics. The people who work there are GREAT. Best batch of people that I have worked with to date. I enjoyed seeing them outside of work as much as during the day. Some of us kept up friendships for years afterwards. The Museum let me display my work inside of the Calatrava during Gallery Night. The work was always engaging, and I was surrounded by artwork. Sometimes the long days in the galleries really started to get monotonous, but I still looked forward to work.

Cons

It was a seasonal position. The compensation was relatively low, but it was reasonable for young people without much experience. I genuinely do not have much to say in the way of faults or negative experiences with the Milwaukee Art Museum. Things might have changed since I left (quite a few years ago) -- I heard that several people were let go and there has been some overhaul, but I didn't experience it during my time. More recent or current workers could provide a better reflection on it.

Keep it up. Bring in some newer, contemporary, emerging, edgy, different work in Changing. The museum is filled with landscapes, renaissance artists, and classically composed works. I loved the Bruce Nauman exhibit years ago. Some shake-it-up things keep it interesting. Monica Bonvoncini has some great work.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

access to interesting exhibits while interning

Cons

the permanent collection is lacking

rotate interns through depts

Excellent, inspiring place to work.

Former Employee - Middle Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great creative and challenging environment to work in and in a Milwaukee landmark, too! Staff is excited to present art to the most people in the community.

Cons

There aren't many cons to contend with.

Current Employee - Events Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Events Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Art Museum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Milwaukee Art Museum exposes you to some of the best works of art within the region and has some world renowned architecture represented by the Calatrava Addition. It also exposes you to some opportunities in the workplace that would be difficult to experience elsewhere. There are some fine people who are very dedicated to their jobs that work there.

Cons

One of the downsides is that their compensation is very limited, even for a non-profit institution. Some very loyal and dedicated employees do not receive the rewards they so richly deserve. Length of service does not necessarily guarantee job security here.

Senior Management needs to be more in touch with their loyal employees that are the face of this Museum to the Public.

Beautiful museum and collection, opportunity to contributed to high profile and diverse projects and events

I worked at Milwaukee Art Museum

Pros

Great environment. Seriously, the best workplace imaginable aesthetically. Always evolving and bringinging noteworthy artists, incredible galleries and collections. Challenging and open environment, communication is top notch within the organization.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are somewhat limited, however for a smaller organization like the MAM it is completey understandable. The team is a group of highly specialized and diverse group of interesting smart people. So it can be competitive to receive a promotion.