Milwaukee Electric Tool

Updated September 29, 2014
3.3

Milwaukee Electric Tool President Steven P. Richman
Steven P. Richman

Great people, fast paced, focused on company growth

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll work with good people who are passionate about the product and their jobs.
    At the rate the company is growing there are plenty of opportunities for advancement.
    It is a well respected brand in the industry.

Cons

They tend to hire very similarly minded people so there's not a lot social diversity in the company.
    Expecting employees to be flexible and adjust to changing conditions is one thing but the fun, fast paced environment can often devolve into disorganized fire drills that waste time and prevent long term goals from being achieved.

Keep up the energy level and the excitement among employees. Minimize and limit the frantic fire drills that waste valuable time and resources.

Not a career company

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good stepping stone if you have limited experience.
    Company loves hiring young people out of college with zero experience.
    I like my Manager and co-workers

Cons

Not the type of place one sees themselves being at for long, hied right out of school 3 years later they leave.
    High turnover and regular "rolling layoffs"
    No clear work instruction.
    Tuition program is practical gutted to zero now, lucky if it cover 1/4 the cost to actually get the degree today
    Horrible communication cause expensive mistakes and tons of extra work.
    Terrible raises and bonuses, did I say terrible, and it has been that way for a few years - SAD!
    "Promotions" are only more work at the same pay.
    Long, long, long, long work hours lots of missed time from family
    Very stressful and unrealistic workload and no support, have to cover others who are not competent.
    Good old boys club mentality
    Bad moral, employees feel unappreciated and everyone is "watching their back"

The last of the real employees who have a wealth of knowledge about the history of the company and products are all nearing retirement and no one is there to "take over the torch".

The insulting raises and compensation will not attract anyone who has good skills and experience to stay long. The ones near retirement as they are probably not going anywhere but the work force appears to getting less skilled and competent by the day. That too is scaring others off.

The "bad " reputation of the company is becoming well known in the industry. There is no incentive to work harder or do more. Looks like it is now at a critical junction and long term is not going to end well.

A once great company is now just a name

Current Employee - Machinst  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Machinst in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* I have great co-workers
    * Free gym membership
    * Discounts on phone service

Cons

* High turnover and replacements usually are right out of school with no experience.
    * Low moral, culture of fear and intimidation.
    * Very poor raise and no bonuses
    * Vacation was taken away from dedicated long-time employees who had earned it.
    * Accelerated project schedules means pushing buggy products through and on to customers.
    * Typical 70 hour work week with no overtime compensations
    * Overall employees feel disrespected and taken advantage of
    * Little to no respect for the CEO or upper management.
    * No incentive to do quality work, we just push it through

You took what was once a great company and in your strive to grow has created a culture of apathy, low motivation fear and intimidation. You may be able to retain employees under these conditions in a bad economy, but that no longer exists, which is why the turn over is so high.

People don't consider working there as having a meaningful career anymore, but just a job and a paycheck. There is no motivation or incentive to do better. Working hard never equates to better compensation. Which is why the distrust of the CEO and management is so high.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many feel the company is headed for a crash High turn over and employees are jaded.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Paychecks clear. Free coffee. I like my co-workers but wish there was not such a bad turnover.

Cons

The company has grown so fast they have lost control and many employees are disgusted with the place, there is little to no motivation to work harder and do a good job as overall communication in the company is a complete failure and managers never provide clear guidelines so many no longer care and just consider it a paycheck job - its not a career there.

Turnover hurts everyone there, seems every few weeks whomever was supporting your projects has quit or was let go. They expect you to give them 110%, yet compensation has been getting worse the last decade as raises are at the point of insultingly small and bonus for all but the executives and managers are practically non-existent, all while the company is making record sales. There really is no incentive for most employees to work hard considering the company does not reward efforts, working late and missing time with family is the norm. And despite them gutting all the benefits and performance compensation we are expected to work all day and when home with the family, leave them hanging every night to field conference calls for hours from the engineering teams in China.

Even worse is how terrible the test labs are. There is a small handful of good technicians but they are always busy and all the engineers can't get even basic support. The labs look like pig-styes!! So the engineers often have to step in the lab themselves and do the technician's tests - which means an extra 10 hours a week of unpaid time on top of the late night conference call we do not get compensated for either. When we speak with the technicians they definitely are not happy there, one even told me he feels as if "the company feels technicians are second class citizens and to upper management we do not exist." He said all the technicians had their Christmas and performance bonuses taken away a few years ago and it makes them sick seeing the company spending uncontrollably on items such as tens of thousands for liquor at marketing get togethers (the infamous $50K tequila parties....), tens of millions for decorating executive offices. But try to get a $500 piece of equipment required to run a mandatory test and you are told no.

So the company pushes to have tests done in China, so now we have to wait months for them to complete the
    tests but they are ALWAYS done wrong and you ALWAYS get bad data - yet projects are pushed through even when they do not work right. The big joke is we have the customer be the "Guinea Pigs: to test the products.

15 years ago it was a great company. 10 years ago the Chinese bought it and you know what they think about workers hours, benefits and compensation. 9 years ago they took everyone's profit sharing away. 8 years ago they started laying off all the long time employees who had the knowledge of the products and they gutting benefits more. Then they went on massive hiring sprees to get young kids out of school to fill all the openings as they will will work the long hours but turnover is big!. 5 years ago the technicians tell me they all stopped getting Christmas and performance bonuses. It just disgust many what has happened to this place and the repeat failures in leadership

Ironically, every company meeting they have they parade up the executives and brag how great sales are, how great has been the growth and how much money the company is making, and do not realize many in the audience get angry when they hear that as they all remember how many benefits had been taken away and they just pretend to be happy workers, but afterwards leave and talk about how bad things are now for all bit the executives.

I am part of the fortunate few who are not managers or executives but get great pay. But since the majority around me are not compensated well, it hurts my ability to complete projects. Because of my pay I have been complacent about leaving but know to have a real career I would need to go to a company that did not have so many internal failures. That will be my next new year's resolution.

Wake up your company is in trouble, the cancer is growing. Employees are demoralized. Fix the terrible test labs - hire technicians that are competent - and enough to actually support the projects so bad product does not always get pushed through and to the customer.

Right now most have no trust in senior management, the employees know the company does not car as the raises and performance bonuses are insulting despite record sales years.

Fast paced & high energy

Former Employee - Project Leader
    Former Employee - Project Leader

I worked at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many good engineers and professionals. Great compensation at first, but changed dramatically after the recession began.

Cons

Frequent long hours and brutal international travel - could be improved

Outstanding growth and great team work

Current Employee - Territory Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Representative

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team with tons of opportunity. Great support nationally and a trusted brand.

Cons

Guidelines and goals can be hard to recognize at times.

Going down hill fast, turnover of employees at HQ makes it difficult to communicate to them about field issues

Former Employee - Territory Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Representative

I worked at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a truck with gas card so need to expense.

Cons

Too many hours are expected on top of the required 40 hours and you will not be compensated. Will not pay overtime to compensate the extra hours worked.

What sells in CA will not always sell well in GA so pay attention

Milwaukee Electric Tool Response

Apr 10, 2014Sr. Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate the time you took to supply us with feedback. Your advice to Senior Management is certainly valid and will be passed along to them for feedback.

Great engineering opportunity working with awesome products

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern  in  Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Electric Tool as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Cool products. Innovative company. Great Culture

Cons

Very quick paced work environment.

Great experience

I worked at Milwaukee Electric Tool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always produced top quality products. Knew their role in the market and produced industrial grade tools. Company culture was incredible and created a drear work environment.

Cons

Changed sales structure causing several top performers to leave. Not sure what the culture is like today. Have heard they have diversified their go to market strategy.

A Brand on the Move

I worked at Milwaukee Electric Tool

Pros

Company has a solid brand strategy, building excellent channel presence, has a super innovation pipeline, passionate and energized culture.

Cons

Geographic location, can be an extremely demanding work environment, need a very thick skin to work there.

Need a long term growth plan

Milwaukee Electric Tool Response

Jan 27, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate the time you took to supply us with feedback. MET believes in having candid and honest conversations and that can sometimes require a thick skin. We do share feedback with our Sr ... More

Milwaukee Electric Tool Photos

Worked for Milwaukee Electric Tool? Contribute to the Community!