Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.7

CEO

Excellent learning experience for student workers.

Current Employee - Gallery Assistant  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Gallery Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design part-time for more than a year

Pros

At this job you will gain lots of experience, learn skills, consistently be completing interesting work. It is up to you if you want to be the worker who just repaints walls, or the worker who figures out how to hang large, expensive artworks. You may have to juggle tasks and figure things out on your own at times but it's worth it, this job is what you make of it.

Cons

It's a job at a small nonprofit college, so of course there are issues with funding and the administration wanting more than your department can give. This creates stress on the management which can trickle down to student workers just trying to get experience working in a gallery.

Try not to let mood affect the work environment. If MIAD had a little more money, student workers definitely deserve to get paid more.

Great place to teach ... if you can get hired full time

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

Pros

Wonderful work environment, good supervisors, interesting students, innovative curriculum

Cons

Poor pay, no benefits, no job security.

You will continue to experience turnover so long as you rely so heavily on adjunct labor. The low wages, lack of benefits, and lack of full time opportunities mean that most of us have a shelf life at this institution. MIAD is no better or worse than other schools on this issue, but it is still a problem.

An institution poised for progress

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

Pros

A tight knit community of people who share a common goal. While there are a few problem cases, almost everyone works well together. The infighting and backstabbing so common in many higher education positions just doesn't exist here at all. This is a place where everyone, from the President to the cleaning personnel will know your name and you theirs. If you are faculty you can really do amazing things without the endless hoops of a larger institution. You want to develop a class, be ready to teach it. You see the need to develop a new program, be ready to develop it. If you are passionate about teaching and creating, this really is a fantastic place to be.

Cons

Tragic mismanagement in the past has really held us back from any progress. Thankfully the new president is top notch and knows how to fix what is broken and support what isn't. We are working hard to become fiscally healthy, and we are making major progress, however years slashed budgets has pushed every aspect of the institution to the point of exhaustion. We have to invest in our resources, both human and material as they have been neglected for the past 8 years. We have been working hard to keep things together, without much success, however the new leadership is really getting results-- our efforts are finally not being wasted.

To the president, there are some very senior members of the staff that aren't trusted at all by the people in their department. We really need to get to the bottom of why this is. It is likely that the root of this distrust is a habit of protecting people who really don't do well in their current position. A few will placed firings on both faculty and staff rosters would do wonders for morale and effectiveness across the board.

Worked for Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design? Contribute to the Community!