Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
www.miad.edu Milwaukee, WI 150 to 499 Employees

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

An institution poised for progress

Milwaukee, WI

ProsA tight knit community of people who share a common goal. While there are a few problem cases, almost everyone works well together. The infighting and backstabbing so common in many higher education positions just doesn't exist here at all. This is a place where everyone, from the President to the cleaning personnel will know your name and you theirs. If you are faculty you can really do amazing things without the endless hoops of a larger institution. You want to develop a class, be ready to teach it. You see the need to develop a new program, be ready to develop it. If you are passionate about teaching and creating, this really is a fantastic place to be.

ConsTragic mismanagement in the past has really held us back from any progress. Thankfully the new president is top notch and knows how to fix what is broken and support what isn't. We are working hard to become fiscally healthy, and we are making major progress, however years slashed budgets has pushed every aspect of the institution to the point of exhaustion. We have to invest in our resources, both human and material as they have been neglected for the past 8 years. We have been working hard to keep things together, without much success, however the new leadership is really getting results-- our efforts are finally not being wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the president, there are some very senior members of the staff that aren't trusted at all by the people in their department. We really need to get to the bottom of why this is. It is likely that the root of this distrust is a habit of protecting people who really don't do well in their current position. A few will placed firings on both faculty and staff rosters would do wonders for morale and effectiveness across the board.

Great place to teach ... if you can get hired full time

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsWonderful work environment, good supervisors, interesting students, innovative curriculum

ConsPoor pay, no benefits, no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will continue to experience turnover so long as you rely so heavily on adjunct labor. The low wages, lack of benefits, and lack of full time opportunities mean that most of us have a shelf life at this institution. MIAD is no better or worse than other schools on this issue, but it is still a problem.

Worked for Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design employees.