Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Add Photos

Betsy Brenner

Mailer

Mailer (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsIts easy money to be made

ConsWhen we run out of work we have to clean up for hours

Advice to Senior Managementits ok so far

Great people, good variety of work, poor management, terrible compensation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe people and the variety of the work you are able to do

ConsManagement is only concerned about one thing: revenue. Leadership is non-existence. There is no guidance or training by managers. The pay is terrible and they undervalue their employees. There is no work-life balance. You are expected to bend-over backwards to work for them whenever they want or need you to.

was good now not so much

Prosco-workers, sometimes fun trips and perks

Consmedia is changing, you can save the paper with the internet. focus on what was good- great content and delivered to a large audience

Advice to Senior Managementyou can spin it however you want-- but you need to figure out a new way and its not by hoping the internet, mobile, social $$$ will replace your core business. Classifieds are gone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is OK for a start in the professional job world

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked at the Journal Sentinel for over a year part time. Can be a fun place/environment to work in depending on the department. Decent experience for those just coming out of college with no other experience working in a professional work environment.

Cons- Higher up management does little to help and does not listen to suggestions
    - Increase in responsibility is rewarded with pressure and nothing else
    - Instead of hiring for full time they continue to hire more part-time employees
    - There are those employees who do not do their jobs after years with the company and have not been fired
    - There is very little time for training a new employee
    - Many employees come and go within a year
    - Does not always feel like a professional work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my point of view it seems like the higher ups really do not care that the company is slowly falling. I do not see any change that will lead to a more sustainable future for a company that is mainly deals with a printed product that is going out of favor.

Nothing But a Paycheck..

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsDecent pay. Nice Co-workers. Close to home.

ConsHard hours. Poor management never willing to help. No criticism or feedback. Lazy leads don't want to help out and just surf the web.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to force us to recite speeches over the phone and lie to our customers on a constant basis and actually fix the problems that cause people to hate our paper.

Trying hard to be relevant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people. Creative workplace. Diverse work force. A lot of effort has gone into encouraging use of new technologies and social media. Experience in experimental story forms.

ConsTop-heavy with managers who contribute little and are a drain on expenses as a result of multiple buy-outs/layoffs.
    Long hours, little recognition for long-time employees. A hiring manager once remarked loudly: "A good hire stays 2 years; a bad hire stays 10 years." So much for loyalty.
    Newsroom culture favors outside candidates over internal candidates, leading to terrible morale. Loyal employees denigrated and pigeon-holed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the courage to face up to who really needs to be cut loose.
    Quit favoring outside candidates; give insiders a chance to advance.

Good experience, questionable leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsExperience in dealing with multiple management/operations issues. Great opportunity to assemble a management philosophy in a ever-changing environment. Good experience with managing budgets, human resource functions, and operations.

ConsLeadership provides no support and does little to understand subordinates' jobs or responsibilities. Expectation of being on call 24/7. Mounting responsibilities with very little appreciation and/or monetary increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more and do not go after them after they are respectfully critical about the manner in which operations are running.

If you need the money it's OK but it is not a career

Independent Contractor (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsIt is a great second job for people looking to earn some extra money. Most of your work hours will fall between 2am and 6 or 7am.

ConsYou can not always count on being done by 7am. If papers are late you will have to wait and you are still expected to do your route even if it causes problems with your primary job. You work seven days a week and are expected to find your own replacement if you need time off. You will never see a raise and in over 10 years I have seen 3 paycuts. By the time you caculate your expences you can expect to earn about $8 or $9 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn most cases management is understanding to family situations. Most managers realise that this is a second job, however if you would like to retain quaility employees you might want to consider a reduction in upper management vs. constant reductions in the pay of your delivery force

Typical cronyism

ProsGood comradery amongst peeps. People making the best of cards they are being delt by upper management

ConsLack of Direction from upper management. Not necessarily evaluated on what you know and how you perform but who you know

Worked for Milwaukee Journal Sentinel? Contribute to the Community!